Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where is a diesel powered subie available?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LostWater

LostWater

Looking for 80-87 Hatch

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Hyattsville, MD

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:19 AM

Look about halfway down this page. The fuel caps says "Subaru".

http://www.dieselguard.com/

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,689 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

i cant find anything on the net, just future engines.... whay not drop them an email and ask?

nipper

#3 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:44 AM

WTF?!!

That looks like an impreza body! The site is obviously British, but that car is a mystery to me.

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:48 AM

That is an Impreza, for sure. But it's just a commercial, so they just used that car for the photo.

NO Subaru Diesels yet. Next year they will be here.

#5 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:06 PM

There's been a couple of threads on the existence of diesel subaru's (bascially concluding that there aren't). I hear the Tribeca is supposed to have a diesel in a few years, but I would hope they also give a diesel option in a normal subaru too. Sorry but I think the Tribeca is the ugliest thing subaru has ever made, even including the brat, 360, and the weird 3 wheeler from back in the 50's.

#6 mystro

mystro

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • kennewick

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:03 PM

There's been a couple of threads on the existence of diesel subaru's (bascially concluding that there aren't). I hear the Tribeca is supposed to have a diesel in a few years, but I would hope they also give a diesel option in a normal subaru too. Sorry but I think the Tribeca is the ugliest thing subaru has ever made, even including the brat, 360, and the weird 3 wheeler from back in the 50's.

Subaru is known for not following trends but usually setting one,I think they should have made it a Hybred but kept the *unique* look.

#7 AFviper

AFviper

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Lynnwood, WA

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:04 PM

I am sure the Tribeca is going to be gone in a few years, it's just too ugly. The platform might be used for a different car though.

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,689 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:13 PM

Its going turbo diesel in a peice iread from a new zealand paper

nipper

#9 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,014 posts
  • Texas

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:37 PM

The inside of the fuel door looks kinda like a Nissan. probably just a cap from a Subie on a different vehicle.

I dunno

#10 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:43 AM

Texan, it's an Impreza for sure. I see this very sight every other day...

#11 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,014 posts
  • Texas

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:19 AM

So, either there is a diesel Subaru, they just used the first handy vehicle for a beauty shot of their product regardless of it being gas powered, or they also have a product that warns to use 'normal' petrol and used the wrong photo.

maybe the device can be switched to announce diesel only OR announce 'gas' (petrol) only?

I dunno

#12 TheBrian

TheBrian

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

Beauty shot. Their product fits on the Impreza, plus the Impreza doesn't have a sales-killing "Diesel Fuel Only" warning inside the fuel door.

If you have a problem remembering not to put gasoline in your diesel, paint your gas cap yellow or something. How many different warnings can you need?

#13 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

If you have a problem remembering not to put gasoline in your diesel, paint your gas cap yellow or something. How many different warnings can you need?

How hard is it to just pay attention???? I own a diesel truck and my subaru, and I never have trouble remembering what fuel to put in what. Of course, I also record the miles, price, and gallons in a book every time I fuel up, and I regularly take my vehicals apart, so I actually understand how they each work. So, I guess you could call me an anal retentive engineer, and not representative of the average population....

#14 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

Gas station attendants are known to mess up and put gas in diesel vehicles.

A friend of mine had a brand new Duramax die because of that:rolleyes: .

#15 PeterD

PeterD

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Renton/Cheney ( EWU )

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:07 PM

well my 82 diesels... when you turn it off;)

#16 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:46 PM

Gas station attendants are known to mess up and put gas in diesel vehicles.

A friend of mine had a brand new Duramax die because of that:rolleyes: .

I hope they paid for a new one?

I did have the dodge dealership tell me my truck wasn't a diesel, even though it's a dodge truck. After I showed them the engine, they were all gawking over it... Not many of the 4 cylinder diesels made it to the US.

#17 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:14 AM

It looks like FHI was getting an Isuzu diesel thanks to their partnership with GM, but now that may change.

#18 Rio

Rio

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gilroy, CA

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:56 AM

Have you seen this article? Still doesn't account for the photo, though.

#19 Rio

Rio

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gilroy, CA

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:59 AM

Bad news here. Says they may be stopping development. Nice looking hybrid, though.

#20 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,689 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

Not really bad news. Deisles still have a bad taste in peoples mouth in this country, and they have to wait untill 2009 when the deisel fuel here is suposed to be sulfur free (or close to it). Going to gas speeeds up the entire process of getting the car to market. For a subaru hybrid (imagine an outback ...drool) I would buy a new subaru.

nipper

#21 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

Not really bad news. Deisles still have a bad taste in peoples mouth in this country, and they have to wait untill 2009 when the deisel fuel here is suposed to be sulfur free (or close to it). Going to gas speeeds up the entire process of getting the car to market. For a subaru hybrid (imagine an outback ...drool) I would buy a new subaru.

nipper

Yeah, most americans hate diesels. And given what was available here in the '80's compared to the rest of the world, and the crappy diesel sold in the US, I can't entirely blame them. But I will never buy another gas powered car, so until subaru makes a diesel, I won't be buying one. I just can't justify buying imported fuel any more, even if it is for a hybrid that gets good mileage.

#22 Lesbaru

Lesbaru

Gir is my copilot

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:17 PM

I always yammer on about my sister-in-law's diesel VW 2001 Jetta.... she runs about 50-75% biodiesel and gets 54 mpg.

#23 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:42 PM

I always yammer on about my sister-in-law's diesel VW 2001 Jetta.... she runs about 50-75% biodiesel and gets 54 mpg.

A friend of mine has the 99 jetta. We hammer that thing on the highway (85mph over mountain passes), and still get 42mpg. Closer to 50 if we slow down a bit. If that diesel engine was available in an outback..... :slobber:

For now I'll be content with my mitsubishi turbodiesel pickup, but I'm going to get a biodiesel subaru eventually, if I have to build it myself...:brow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users