Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is a diesel powered subie available?

There's been a couple of threads on the existence of diesel subaru's (bascially concluding that there aren't). I hear the Tribeca is supposed to have a diesel in a few years, but I would hope they also give a diesel option in a normal subaru too. Sorry but I think the Tribeca is the ugliest thing subaru has ever made, even including the brat, 360, and the weird 3 wheeler from back in the 50's.

There's been a couple of threads on the existence of diesel subaru's (bascially concluding that there aren't). I hear the Tribeca is supposed to have a diesel in a few years, but I would hope they also give a diesel option in a normal subaru too. Sorry but I think the Tribeca is the ugliest thing subaru has ever made, even including the brat, 360, and the weird 3 wheeler from back in the 50's.

Subaru is known for not following trends but usually setting one,I think they should have made it a Hybred but kept the *unique* look.

So, either there is a diesel Subaru, they just used the first handy vehicle for a beauty shot of their product regardless of it being gas powered, or they also have a product that warns to use 'normal' petrol and used the wrong photo.

maybe the device can be switched to announce diesel only OR announce 'gas' (petrol) only?

I dunno

Beauty shot. Their product fits on the Impreza, plus the Impreza doesn't have a sales-killing "Diesel Fuel Only" warning inside the fuel door.

If you have a problem remembering not to put gasoline in your diesel, paint your gas cap yellow or something. How many different warnings can you need?

If you have a problem remembering not to put gasoline in your diesel, paint your gas cap yellow or something. How many different warnings can you need?

How hard is it to just pay attention???? I own a diesel truck and my subaru, and I never have trouble remembering what fuel to put in what. Of course, I also record the miles, price, and gallons in a book every time I fuel up, and I regularly take my vehicals apart, so I actually understand how they each work. So, I guess you could call me an anal retentive engineer, and not representative of the average population....

Gas station attendants are known to mess up and put gas in diesel vehicles.

A friend of mine had a brand new Duramax die because of that:rolleyes: .

I hope they paid for a new one?

I did have the dodge dealership tell me my truck wasn't a diesel, even though it's a dodge truck. After I showed them the engine, they were all gawking over it... Not many of the 4 cylinder diesels made it to the US.

Not really bad news. Deisles still have a bad taste in peoples mouth in this country, and they have to wait untill 2009 when the deisel fuel here is suposed to be sulfur free (or close to it). Going to gas speeeds up the entire process of getting the car to market. For a subaru hybrid (imagine an outback ...drool) I would buy a new subaru.

nipper

Not really bad news. Deisles still have a bad taste in peoples mouth in this country, and they have to wait untill 2009 when the deisel fuel here is suposed to be sulfur free (or close to it). Going to gas speeeds up the entire process of getting the car to market. For a subaru hybrid (imagine an outback ...drool) I would buy a new subaru.

nipper

Yeah, most americans hate diesels. And given what was available here in the '80's compared to the rest of the world, and the crappy diesel sold in the US, I can't entirely blame them. But I will never buy another gas powered car, so until subaru makes a diesel, I won't be buying one. I just can't justify buying imported fuel any more, even if it is for a hybrid that gets good mileage.

I always yammer on about my sister-in-law's diesel VW 2001 Jetta.... she runs about 50-75% biodiesel and gets 54 mpg.

A friend of mine has the 99 jetta. We hammer that thing on the highway (85mph over mountain passes), and still get 42mpg. Closer to 50 if we slow down a bit. If that diesel engine was available in an outback..... :slobber:

For now I'll be content with my mitsubishi turbodiesel pickup, but I'm going to get a biodiesel subaru eventually, if I have to build it myself...:brow: