Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More EJ22 help - Seattle Area

Subarutex

Ok guys, i've been going over, and over, and over this car for weeks.

I've run out of options and could really use some help.

Problems: Ecu doesn't ground fuel pump relay. And the igniter isn't getting a signal to spark the coil from the ecu...

Anybody want to come over and take a try at getting this thing started?

• Like 1

Ok guys, i've been going over, and over, and over this car for weeks.

I've run out of options and could really use some help.

Problems: Ecu doesn't ground fuel pump relay. And the igniter isn't getting a signal to spark the coil from the ecu...

Anybody want to come over and take a try at getting this thing started?

This is going to sound weird, and I dont think others had this problem, but if i remember correctly, there is a diode that is part of the EA harness that had to be cut out, I just wired in a switch otherwise the car would just crank over, no fuel pump and no spark. I dont know if that is your problem or not. Do you have a factory wiring diagrams? I can come down tomorrow and help you locate if need be.

Hey, whats up SubaruTex, i know your smart enough to know this but its the only real help i can give.

The computer, for safty, wont ground the fuel pump relay and fire the coil unless it knows the engine is cranking. The comp can only know this if a crank/cam or some syncronizing sensor in the distributor is telling it that the engine is cranking. Generally when you dont have these two items at the same time, (spark and fuel) its one of the above sensors, or subarus equivilant.

I just realized i was in the subaru retrofit section so its very likely some wire is messed up or backwards and im going about this from the wrong angle. But id get a good multimeter and check the frequency of the cam/crank sensors.

Your other post on 6/14/2006 "I'm not getting spark, except sometimes randomly at the end of cranking, or the very begining. (just enough for a pop)" kinda made it sound like a problem i had on my dirt bike, (very different i know) but it turned out to be a bad ground wire at the computer/ign module thing.

Any way have fun with it.

Run the original starter wire AND the legacy one.

My 83...it was the bolt on the SMJ plug...that giant grey plug that hooks the whole harness together...it wasnt bolted tight. Mine now runs, the car hasnt run in at least 6 years, got it just after wcss3 from Qman.

seems like everyone is doing their harness a different method than what I used.. so its going to be hard for me to assist online, but I may be able to come take a look one of these days here when I get some time..

I used only the EA starter wire, and changed nothing in the EA harness (just disconnected it, and removed the coil

I also hardwired the fuel pump to ign. so that it was just on when the car was switched on..

wired the main harness power to the hot lead that went to the coil (ign "on" ) and that made it so when i turned on the key, the EJ harness was powered and "on" and then turned the key, and the EA start wire still turned the starter

then it worked!

Hey, whats up SubaruTex, i know your smart enough to know this but its the only real help i can give.

The computer, for safty, wont ground the fuel pump relay and fire the coil unless it knows the engine is cranking. The comp can only know this if a crank/cam or some syncronizing sensor in the distributor is telling it that the engine is cranking. Generally when you dont have these two items at the same time, (spark and fuel) its one of the above sensors, or subarus equivilant.

I just realized i was in the subaru retrofit section so its very likely some wire is messed up or backwards and im going about this from the wrong angle. But id get a good multimeter and check the frequency of the cam/crank sensors.

Your other post on 6/14/2006 "I'm not getting spark, except sometimes randomly at the end of cranking, or the very begining. (just enough for a pop)" kinda made it sound like a problem i had on my dirt bike, (very different i know) but it turned out to be a bad ground wire at the computer/ign module thing.

Any way have fun with it.

Dirt bikes got puters now? Damm, I need to get with the times.

Check the ignition feed at the ECU itself and make sure it's getting 12v while cranking. If not there's your problem. Also check all your grounds. An ECU pinout would be a great help to you. If you don't have one, let me know and I'll pull one up, scan it and mail it.

i followed austin's way also, it works fine. i also deleted the SMJ plug, way too much crap in there you dont need. screw the fuel pump relay crap, the computer doesnt need to know its on, it just sends a signal telling the relay to turn on the fuel pump. go around the ecu, wire in the fuel pump directly to a toggle switch(hidden wherever you like, and with a fuse, 10-15A should do fine) and there you go. to get power to your harness, you need only to tap into your current ignition switch thingy, its in the steering column. find the wire that is hot when the key is in the ON position, not ACC. tap into that and now your harness is powered by your stock ignition relay. for your EJ ecu "hot at all times" wire, run a wire from the battery and thats done, put a fuse in line. as long as you didnt plug the plug wires in the wrong way like i did the first time i tried to start my motor......find a legacy or impreza that has good cam/crank angle sensors, swpa them out and see if it works. hopefuly you didnt get in a rush and splice some wire somewhere in the harness someplace that its not supposed to go.

~Josh~

Good advice, except for the fuel pump. There's a reason there's a relay. When you rash and the engine shuts down, so does the fuel. If not and say your injured and can't get to the switch (whether toggle or ign), you get barbecued. I know this first hand as I was a medic for a number of years. Got to watch the coroner R&R a 'crispy critter" from a modified rig where the owner did that exact thing.:dead: Just a reality check. I hate to see bad things happen to good people.

I'll have to go look at my car in the morning to see exactly how it's set up, but I had a similar problem when I did my swap (no fuel, no spark). The EJ22 ignition relay control wire got skipped when I was hooking up the power supplies. I was using a haynes manual and a chiltons manual when I was wiring it up, and neither of them made it clear that this wire had to be spliced into right next to the relay. It looked like it would be powered up if I hooked up one of the other main power wires, but that wasn't the case. As soon as I provided IGN power straight to that control wire, it fired right up and ran great.

I had a problem while putting the ej22 in my bug, the ecu had power while the ignition was on, but not while cranking. It sparked at weird times, like turning the key off. Double check to make sure that the ecu has power while cranking and with ignition on.

• 2 weeks later...
any luck today?

Yeah, a certain someone didn't put the cam pullys on the right side when he rebuild the motor (not Tex, or me) and now we have the cam pully thats supposed to cycle the sensor on the correct side. the harness thats in the car still seems to be having problems, but the new harness got spark, but we took it out before we could get it started, hopeing to get it started with the one thats already in the car.

Fingers crossed, she'll be running by weeks end.