Ultimate Subaru Message Board

T-case

esh

I was trying to find a thread about how to.. T-case and I couldn't find one. can any one explain the principle of that mod and what do you need? I was thinking about 8-12" lift on a brat with a Niva T-case.

Strange you couldn't find anything. The second sticky on this page is "Frequently Asked Questions: Tires Wheels Lift Kits Mods for offroading Soobs." Lots of info there on lifts and tranfer case mod as well. There is also a thread on the second page of this forum called "T-case pictures" which contains some good info.

thanks for the link. another question: what kind of t-case is that?Lada? Nissan? and what is the second shifter for?

bushbasher started out with a lada one. I'm pretty sure he had problems with it and then went to a Nissan one instead.

2 shifters for 2 transfer cases. the subaru tcase is part of the transmission, so you still have the high-low range for that, and then the added tcase aswell.

bushbasher started out with a lada one. I'm pretty sure he had problems with it and then went to a Nissan one instead.

2 shifters for 2 transfer cases. the subaru tcase is part of the transmission, so you still have the high-low range for that, and then the added tcase aswell.

IIRC, the problem that he had was a broken t-case mount, due to bashing the t-case into a rock (maybe a skid plate would have helped? dunno).

In any case, you are not likely to find a Niva t-case anywhere south of the 49th parallel. There are a few, but not many.

V-drives are also used in speedboats IIRC, engine on top, prop on the bottom.

haha....different kind of V-drive :lol: Inboard skiboat with direct drive, but with the engine in the back so it can't plane correctly for wakeboarding.

I've never heard about or seen a lada tcase, but I figured since esh is in Australia, maybe they have different availability.

Where's Bushbasher?

129771.jpg

Did a little hunting and found out this is a popular system on 4wd fullsize vans. On chevy it was a dana system. 1978 chevy 1 ton van keeps coming up.

It does give me lots of ideas. From what i can see (on the lists) its a bullit proof system.

nipper

I haven't looked at a Niva for awhile, but . . .

I think they are a full-time AWD box, with reduction in high range. (presumably because the engine/trans came from a car, and they had to compensate for bigger tires). It's possible the other lever is to lock the center diff. In fact, look here. If you click on "General Specs", it'll give you a .pdf: the high range is 1.2:1, low is 2.135:1. The "Niva Transmission" link gives you another .pdf showing the two levers: one for selecting hi/lo, the other for locking the center diff.