Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thick oil noise

Does it happen on cold mornings, and quit suddenly after anywhere from fifteen seconds to a minute after starting? And sound like a rapid hard tapping sound?

'Cause that's what my Loyale's doing right now, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what to do about it...

k heres what hte problem is.. The hydralic lashers I believe they are called.. The they have to pump up to move the lifters (am I right?)

I might have the names for the parts wrong, but those lil things have to pump up.. I was running 15w 40 in my car and it did that..

pull the valve covers off and take the lashers out put them in a pan of oil and pump them up yourself.. if they dont pressure up after 10 or 12 pumps the lashers might be shot..

When it starts making that noise in my car, I stop driving, rev my engine up to 3500 rpms for about 4 minutes and the ticking slowly goes away..

Hope this helps..

Bad ticking doesnt neccesarily mean bad oil pump.. Just bad o Rings

Yeah, mine does the same thing every so often. It has a new pump and seals too. It only happens when it sits for a couple days in the cold though. I was thinkin' about flowin' some MMO thru her. The mechanic I talk to alot is a Subaru Master Tech., and he said the same thing about pumpin the lifters up. I've been pumpin' up my stereo instead, so I don't hear anything my Sube has say anymore.:D

Bubbles on the stick indicate bad seals around the oil pump. It's pumping air and oil, instead of just (or mostly) oil. You could be getting better oil pressure with a better sealed pump.

Also, because of the H-style engine (or pancake, as they're sometimes called), the oil gunk (which is normal) can get into the passage ways and gum it up, or clog it easier. When I get the tappy sound, I usually run some motor flush through it to try and clean up the passage ways, lifter, etc... so the oil can lubricate better. It has never failed to stop the sound yet (knock on wood).

J

lol.. I got bubbles in my oil too this morning.. My outside outlet that I plug my car into died, so my car sat at -5F all night.. When I started it.... Tick tick tick tick tick... for about 3 hours

Time to replace those damn seals... Might as well hit the timing belts too if I'm gonna have to rip all that stuff off...