Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need a little backup on the off-road ability of roos

I went round and round with some east coast beach fishermen about this. Can a soob drive on the beach? C'Mon! Of course it can, and will! Be a smart driver, know what you can and can't do. Insane amounts of money and horsepower can overcome alot, but a fool in a 4x4 is just that! I'd rather be a smart guy in a small soob than a brain dead moron in a monster truck. We've all been stuck, yet here we all are:banana:

I think that the fact that the EA82s are that much newer makes them the better candidate to an EA81 car. Plus the EA82 was available with SPFI instead of carb. Better millage and arguably more reliable.

The EA82 is heavier and doesn't have as much low end torque as an EA81. And DEFINITELY isn't any more reliable than the EA81. I don't see any advantage to it over an EA81 really, but it's not a bad engine.

And you could also stick the intake from a SPFI EA82 right to an EA81. Bolts right on. Of course you'd have to deal with wiring and stuff like that.

And about what GD said about single core radiators not being adequate... my EA82T has a single core radiator and it never gets past 1/3 on the gauge, and neither does my N/A EA82. And I've had it sitting in traffic in 102 degree weather for an hour straight with the A/C blasting and the needle didn't budge. So the single cores are obviously adequate.

Never had a problem with my stock cooling on my ea82 either. Its never fotten hotter than 1/4 to 1/3 on the gauge. I've really never had any issues with the motor in 100,000 not so easy miles I have put on it. leaks a little oil, but other than that, it seems like a fine motor for having almost 300,000 miles on it.

Never had a problem with my stock cooling on my ea82 either. Its never fotten hotter than 1/4 to 1/3 on the gauge. I've really never had any issues with the motor in 100,000 not so easy miles I have put on it. leaks a little oil, but other than that, it seems like a fine motor for having almost 300,000 miles on it.

'Nuff said.

Anecdotal evidence about how "such and such" EA82 works fine with it's stock radiator means nothing at all. Of course they work fine.... when they are working. Subaru couldn't have sold them if they overheated new....

The problem is that the EA82 cooling system (single core) has very little reseve cooling power. It's got enough so long as everything is perfect, but one tiny pressure leak and the temp will shoot up quick. There wasn't enough "safety factor" designed into the system. An N/A EA82 with a dual-core radiator like the EA82T Automatic's got would have been a better design choice.

The fact that there's plenty of them out there that are "fine" with their single core radiators in no way indicates that it's a wise idea to beleive that the car hasn't overheated at some point in it's past, or that the single core will do for South American temperature and humidity ranges. There's a reason they sell 70/30 water/antifreeze premix for "tropical" climates.

At any rate - as I said there's plenty of folks that like them and will find reasons to defend them. But it's often a case of wanting to feel that what *they* own is justified. And often their arguments go something like this:

1. "I've NEVER had that problem!"

2. "I did THIS and nothing bad happened to me"

Neither of those arguments really holds any validity. Just because people do things that aren't terribly wise and get away with it doesn't mean we shouldn't consider the possibility that next time they won't.

I don't "hate" the EA82 (well - maybe the Turbo's :mad: ). I'm just willing to admit it's limitations. I've owned them, and driven them as much as anyone else here. What I dislike about them.... a lot of it is pretty trivial. But side-by-side to either an EA81 or an EJ22 from the "mechanics" standpoint you can really *feel* the difference. By that I mean that almost everywhere you turn in the EA82's design things are more difficult to maintain, and more difficult to repair. Most any job will take a lot longer. Bolts are hard to access, accesory belt tensioners are poorly designed, timing covers are a pain, water pump input pipe is crap (held in by one bolt), heater core by-pass hose is pooly designed and innaccessible, valve covers are hard to get to, oil pan gasket is cork (junk), valve cover gaskets leak, cam towers leak, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

I've had each one of these engines down to bare blocks on many occasions - time and again the ones that make me wish I were on a sunny beach somewhere are the EA82's. The EA81 is devine simplicity, and the EJ22 is not far behind - for a timing belt engine it sure is a pleasure to work on - part of the reason for that is the size of the Legacy engine bay - it's larger than the EA82 bay, and the EJ22 is smaller. Lots of room to work on a properly designed engine.

We could go on ad-infinitum, but you get the idea. Rather than relate to you how "reliable" my EA81's or my EJ22's are (duh - I'm a mechanic!) - I would rather give you the info on what to expect from these various engines and let you decide for yourself how big of a headache you want. They all can and do break down - my metric is always how easy and straightforward they are to fix, and how reliable those repairs can generally be expected to be.

GD

GD has some good points. I didn't take into account you would be going down to Mexico... if you picked up an EA82 wagon, you would probably want to put a new radiator in because it's probably clogged or on it's way. And yes, you can't know if it's been overheated or not unless the previous owner tells you it has.

The EA82 is a good engine though. I bought a sedan with 200,000 on it with original radiator (as far as I know) and it ran nice and cool and didn't use any coolant. So you just get lucky sometimes. But GD is definitely right about the EJ22 and EA81s both being very bulletproof. But the EA82 is still bulletproof, just not VERY bulletproof.

Personally, I think you ought to keep your eye peeled for an EA82 car, and swap the EA81 longblock into it.

Quite frankly, the turn radius of this car is what won me over. I personally love the little engine, but have no other subaru experience. I have done timing belts, had to replace the water pump and thermostat and radiator, and naturally after all that, the head gaskets... but, dollars for donuts man.. The thing is SO EASY to work on that its limitations sound much greater in black and white, then they seem with a wrench in your hand.

IMHO the brown wagon you linked to may be a bit expensive.. but I am not necessarily saying its overpriced.

It sounds to me, like you likely won't REALLY "scratch your itch" with a leggy. It sounds to ME like you really want that dual range, in the lighter, smaller, older vehicle. When you get right down to it, if you have a crate with a spare T belt tensioner, belts, a spare alt, fuel pump, starter?, etc etc and some tools, then you can be fearless. You just have to be willing to fix the car under the evil eye of the significant other, should it happen to break down. 50K mile service interval is not really asking all THAT much on the part of the user.

The EA82 is almost unquestionably the red-headed stepchild of Fuji Heavy Industries in the last 30 years. (along with its 3AT :grin:) BUT, put it this way: If Superman and Wonder Woman got together and had a retarded child, that child could probably still whoop some rump roast, right? You might need to wipe his chin once in a while (change a timing belt on a non interference motor, B-F-D) but even the red-headed stepchild has his merits.

Oh, and this smiley :dead: is for situations like, say, if I inadvertently offend someone with my "retarded child" metaphor. (read: apologize in advance)

BUT, put it this way: If Superman and Wonder Woman got together and had a retarded child, that child could probably still whoop some rump roast, right? You might need to wipe his chin once in a while (change a timing belt on a non interference motor, B-F-D) but even the red-headed stepchild has his merits.

That's some funny ************ right there! Or maybe its just that I'm all looped out from working nights and am amused by just about anything.

I think you're right about the legacy. Just doesn't really do it for me. I'm already looking into what is involved in doing the EJ22 swap into the ea82, though. Seems like that might be a better direction to go, eventually. Plus its a path many seem to have tread before me. I've never been one to leave well enough alone. The EA81 swap? Well, I did really love that engine back in the day... But isn't it way less powerful than the ej? I mean, if I'm going to swap engines and all...

As for getting the crate of spares to haul around with me, I kind of planned on doing that for whatever car I use for my next surfmobile. Next question, where to get all that stuff? New/used/junkyard/dealer/alloftheabove?

But I'm putting the whores before the cart and all that... Oops, I mean horse.:-p I've still got to go look at this thing tomorrow, see if it's even what I want.

So, a couple of people have expressed the opinion that the price might be kind of high on that car? What do you all suggest? The asking price is at high dealer's retail bluebook, while high private party bluebook is like $1300 IIRC. Thoughts on that?

Personally, I think you ought to keep your eye peeled for an EA82 car, and swap the EA81 longblock into it.

Without some mods, the EA81 will net you 10 less HP. Probably not too cool in a heavier vehicle. But I agree that the later 80's EA82 with a high-po EA81 would be nice. Still prefer an EA81 hatch for off-road though.

Quite frankly, the turn radius of this car is what won me over.

My Legacy wagon can turn basically the same. Both can just barely turn a full 180 in the street in front of my house. At most it's a few feet difference.

I personally love the little engine, but have no other subaru experience. I have done timing belts, had to replace the water pump and thermostat and radiator, and naturally after all that, the head gaskets... but, dollars for donuts man.. The thing is SO EASY to work on that its limitations sound much greater in black and white, then they seem with a wrench in your hand..

True, but you don't know what you are missing - the EJ is even easier to work on - by a goodly amount.

The EA82 is almost unquestionably the red-headed stepchild of Fuji Heavy Industries in the last 30 years.

No - that would be the Justy engine, and the ECVT.

GD

My Legacy wagon can turn basically the same. Both can just barely turn a full 180 in the street in front of my house. At most it's a few feet difference.

GD

NO WAY.. The EA82s have almost 10 feet tighter turning radius. I've measured.

True, but you don't know what you are missing - the EJ is even easier to work on - by a goodly amount.

No - that would be the Justy engine, and the ECVT.

GD

1: As noted :) "onna these days, alice..."

2: nah, the justy is the son sired by the postman (suzuki) while Daddy was away at a race weekend.

Regarding the difference in turn radius: IMHO once you get closer to the ragged edges, every little bit makes MUCH MORE of a difference. City driver here, lots of awful parking jobs to cope with.. the GL10 I never think twice, if the car can fit in the spot, then I can get into it without making a three point. Again, I've never driven a leggy... but the GL-10 is easier to park than my brother's CRX. To me, that says alot.

OP: I shied away from saying EJ swap just to avoid intimidating you; sounds like I was mis-shapen in my impression of your attitude towards your ride. Rock on.:headbang:

all of the people talking about EA82 reliably their cars have been maintained.if an ea82 has been neglected it will let you down allot more than a ea81 or ej22.it just depends on how it was cared for.ive blown headgaskets on EA81s,EA82,and EJ22.just mine have been 150-600 dollar cars.the 600 one was a brat that had been overheated.a ea82 I had to replace a water pump before I could drive it,ej22-pull and save special-just I didnt rebuild engine...

all of the people talking about EA82 reliably their cars have been maintained.if an ea82 has been neglected it will let you down allot more than a ea81 or ej22.it just depends on how it was cared for.ive blown headgaskets on EA81s,EA82,and EJ22.just mine have been 150-600 dollar cars.the 600 one was a brat that had been overheated.a ea82 I had to replace a water pump before I could drive it,ej22-pull and save special-just I didnt rebuild engine...

If any car has been neglected, it can and will "let you down"

And BTW non of my EA82s have come to me in pristine, well cared for condition. Every one I've had to go through and make repairs and and replace wornout stuff.

You're statement abouyt EJs and EA81 beinbg more reliable is laughable. I ee so many broke down Legacys. And guess what? It' ussually the same crap as an EA82. Timing belts, overheating, leaks, and headgaskets. It can, will, and does happen to any car that is not mantained. And for the EA81, it sure was a great motor. Too bad 90% of them at this point are 1 foot in the grave. And they aren't immune from anything. They breakdown too. I was jut given one recently that doesn't run right, and overheats.

ea81s are great, and EJS kick rump roast too.

BUT...... 10,000,000 or so EA82s produced is no fluke. I've driven NOTHING but EA82s (until 3 years agos) since I turned 20. So lets see, that means my first EA82 wagon took me reliably cross country, several times, and every where else for 5 years before you even started driving.

I'm gonna trust my direct experience, and say unabashedly that the EA82 is every bit as reliable any other Subaru engine. The only way they will let you down is from massive, longterm neglect. And really that is YOU letting YOURSELF down.

YEah, like I said, I checked it out and offered what I wanted to pay for it. We didn't reach an aggreement, I'll just leave it at that since he does have an ad up here.

So, if someone has a comparable car near alabama for, say $1000, definitely let me know!