Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want dual range AWD for my '95 Legacy

superu

I am very interested in what you ended up doing to get it! I want the D/R but would prefer to spend a bit more on something that is somewhat of a direct swap than using the 20+ year old GL stuff and making it work.

let us know!

This was a gen 1 Forester (per Tarran, it is from a 98 Forester with approx 124K miles) dual range, so yes, straight swap even a 4-bolt main (like my 95 leggo's stock 5MT was)

I researched and researchd for YEARS, then committed to getting one and emailed and forumed to see if someone down under would be willing to do the leg work, then found some who was, then it was an exercise in patience and effort for all involved to get it over here. AND it all worked out! :clap:

Edited by superu

YES YES Bennie, it is awesome (eventually I'll get around to updating stuff on offroadsubaru and ausubaru too ;)!! It was quite a trial of patience and trust, but it all worked out in the end and I think everyone is happy!

I don't remember actual timing, but maybe 6 weeks or so. Mostly b/c it stalled out in Singapore for more paperwork and it took weeks to get Taza, myself and the shipping coordinator to communicate together and figure it all out. And that was all months AFTER he said he'd dropped it off originally. . . . .there's another story. ;)

But it took me 3 hours (solo) to pull and strip the old tansmission then my friend helped me just stuff the dualer in the car, then the next day I buttoned everything up solo again. So maybe 6 hours or so... I still think i need to adjust the clutch (yeah it's still on cable clutch). Taza sent all the gear to swap it into a hydro clutch which I hope to do eventually, but after all the trials and tribulations I just wanted it IN the car so I could drive it!! :clap:

But year, it's pretty sweet! the hill I'm rallying down in this video (

) I was able to just idle UP in lo range. In fact I could've gotten OUT of the car, walked alongside steering it and it wouldn't have stalled climbing this hill at idle!!

Its a gen 1 forester. So 4.11 axle ratio and 1.44:1 low. Straight swap with a decent low range. I know about the GL low swap (and crown wheel grinding) but just wanted no-hastle awesomeness! ;)

Right now I have a 20.5 crawl ratio in first gear, low range with 4.11 axle ratio. Not too shabby for a car!! :brow:

AWESOME news mate!

How long was it on the boat for?

And how long did it take you to install it?? I hope it's well worth the effort!! I know it will be.

What are the specs again? If it's got a dodgy low range the L series low range is well worth the effort!

Cheers

Bennie

If they're like the RXs (and folks chime in if I'm wrong) then they're open center diff with a push-button locking center diff option. Locking the center diff makes it 4x4 vs. open center diff AWD. then with locked center and Low range you have a dual range push button 4WD.

I've seen many Push Button LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs Dual Range EJ Subies in my Country, but...

1317337837_258252929_5-subary-Legacy-93-18-Bio-Bio.jpg

...Why you call them: "True 4WD" ? :confused:

Kind Regards.

Unless someone put a diff lock centre in the box you got from Australia, the diff lock was only in the "L" series era, then it is just a standard issue bog stock forester box with the 1.44:1 low.

like this box http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118802&postcount=21

but read the thread by clicking on the link in the signature as it details on how to make a 1.59:1 set of low gears fit into a dual range box, with either your low gearset or the 1.19:1 low gearset

TOONGA

• 3 weeks later...

maybe this is usefull info, but i doubt it :cool:

over here in iceland the 5speed EJ series cars almost all came with the D/R transmissions

forester´s all had them (except turbo models)

impreza´s and legacy´s where different

basicly the sedans had just the normal 5 speed

and the wagons had the D/R (again, except turbo models)

i have even seen a 2008 ej15 impreza hatch with a D/R

i have driven sooo many subaru´s here and while i don´t tear many transmissions apart, i can tell you that not all of them have the same low range ratio (depending on year, model)

here is a "90 wagon i had Ej22 16Valve with a D/R

321055_2246315010407_312553535_n.jpg

297409_2246315250413_2133831588_n.jpg

296319_2246315690424_1825510706_n.jpg

1998 forester =

CarImage.aspx?s=17&c=154602&p=26417&w=600

2001 legacy =

CarImage.aspx?s=53&c=155178&p=20810&w=600

2009 legacy =

CarImage.aspx?s=19&c=151461&p=28185&w=600

cheers

then we added

Suby sliders

2012-10-26%252014.32.06.jpg?gl=US

2012-10-26%252014.35.54.jpg?gl=USP1080974.JPG?gl=US

P1080970.JPG?gl=US

straightened the pinch weld, scuffed the paint to bare steel every 13" for 1.5" then welded 1" angle iron against the pinch weld, inside and out. Then hammered the weld back against the angle iron and welded it down.

Next to wire-wheel it , prime and bedliner it. Maybe silicone b/t he welds then cover it up with liner

Edited by superu

Subaru_Legacy_in_Lockhart_Basin.jpg?gl=US

A step climbing out of the technical canyon on lockhart basin trail in Moab.

I'm still editing a youtube video but here's a little sneak-peak clip of our mostly successful run up lockhart basin trail (in Moab) a few weeks ago.

I say "mostly" b/c while I pulled the technical canyon (with 2 tugs, but otherwise clean) :clap: , I blew a weak half shaft :cool:on top then compression popped a tire :banghead: and had to be flat towed the remaining many many miles :(

Edited by superu

Beside that minor incident, everything is AWESOME!!! ... :banana: ...  I am Glad that the Swap is Already Done, can't wait to see the Edited Video. 

About this:

Superus%20Legacy.jpg

It looks similar to the Reinforcements I did to my Subie, do you Remember? ... :D ...

Kind Regards.

Edited to add text to Superu's photo.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Beside that minor incident, everything is AWESOME!!! ... :banana: ... I am Glad that the Swap is Already Done, can't wait to see the Edited Video. icon14.gif

I hope it's pretty cool!! :brow:

About this:

It looks similar to the Reinforcements I did to my Subie, do you Remember? ... :D ...

Kind Regards.

YES, you're info was the inspiration!!

• Like 1

Awesome! icon14.gif

Driving your car must feel like a Tank, crawling mountains now.

I really Love the Exhaust sound your Legacy has.

Kind Regards.

thanks JesZek!! :brow:

It's pretty fun, check out some other videos on youtube, the clearance at 50MPH videos demonstrate the exhaust note pretty well I think ;)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Awesome. I want this in my OBS!

TOTALLY do-able!!!

I'm working on this with a guy in CO doing this swap in his 02 OBS. . . . .

Super awesome details to follow, stay tuned to the forums for the posting (It'll definitely be on the DI forum, I'm not sure if he's on USMB too)

Edited by superu