Ultimate Subaru Message Board

build thread off wrx pickup

pickup-bob

Great job on the conversion, I bet it's a blast to drive.

There wasn't any way to tuck the intercooler back more? I'm more of a "sleeper" type car person, so I tend to like having stuff like that hidden as much as possible. I know on my 86 gl-10 wagon there's more space in the front, but I was able to fit my intercooler behind the grill. I had to use hood pins because the latch and latch support had to go, and trim the backside out of the grill so that it's just a grill facade now, but it all tucked up in there. Cut some oval holes through the bumper to let air in, but made sure they blended in.

Other than the "look at me, I'm modified!" massive intercooler, the rest of the car is really tastefully done, with everything looking like it could have been factory. The intercooler just looks out of place on a car that nice.

thanks for comments guys, got te arches of ebay uk, listed under 80's style aftermarket arches, they suit it perfectly, its going to get a full respray shortly, and a mapping session, was thinking the cooler is a bit over the top, was thinking smaller cooler and replace bumper would look more subtle, the suspension was a nightmare , nothing fitted at all but was determined to get it built , im pleased how its turned out , and it gets some weird looks, people just dont know what it is, think im going to v8 one of my other pickups next ,:lol::lol:

• 6 months later...

Wow - this build is spectacular! And that canopy that it had to begin with was a beast! haha! But really this is awesome to see. The wheel arches look amazing, like they were from the factory. You did such a wonderful job! Such a shame people don't know what they're looking at!!! When you blow past I bet they're like this >>> :slobber:

Can't wait to see your other builds. Put a link on this thread when you start em. ;)

• 1 year later...

list of current mods

list of mods for interested partys

solid pickup shell
impreza turbo
ej20t engine , gearbox and diff
tein coilovers
front brembo brakes with
4000 race slotted disks
rear brakes standard impreza turbo
exhaust is
aftermarket down pipe de cat with added flexi welded in 2.5 inch with prodrive
rear box
wheels are rotas 17x9 s wheels and tyres new in february
bosch
044 500bhp fuel pump
alloy 40 litre race fuel tank
tdo5 turbo
apexi
air intake
apexi power fc management mapped by andy forrest
gizzmo boost
controller
impreza bucket seats

So with an EJ20 and TD05 tuned you should be putting down about 265?  If I am close then that is a seriously fast little Brat/Ute/MPV.

I dig the conversion to the underhood intercooler.  I like the big ol FMIC but that could not have been hidden at all.  So good choice to go TMIC.

9" wide Rotas as well, lol.  This is such a cool Subie.

cheers guys , yeh been having fun with it today, had 5 inches of snow in 4 hours so had a play, i can honestly say ill never build another one , but ive had this one for 4 years now and ive got another 4 of them love them great little cars especially with the wrx engine

click on picture

th_IMG_0979_zps28d1a1d7.jpg