Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing SJR lift kit

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,829 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:05 AM

I'm not seeing how these pieces are to be used on the SJR 2" lift kit. The front strut tops are obvious, everything else has me confused.

http://www.sjrlift.c...rapper&Itemid=3

on the top row is the two longer rentagular channels.

below those are the 4 angled pieces.

in the center are the 4 small blocks. These were in a bag with the 4 longest

#2 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

The two long rectangular pieces space down the front cross member, and then 4 angle pieces are for the rear struts, you spin the rear strut top around and they bolt right up. He spaces the front cross member down a bit to give the axles more room to move so they don't hit at all. You would have to extend you steering shaft a bit for this.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,158 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:27 AM

The two long rectangular pieces space down the front cross member, and then 4 angle pieces are for the rear struts, you spin the rear strut top around and they bolt right up. He spaces the front cross member down a bit to give the axles more room to move so they don't hit at all. You would have to extend you steering shaft a bit for this.

You can use a Legacy steering coupler, it is already extended about an inch compared to stock EA82 coupler.

#4 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

You can use a Legacy steering coupler, it is already extended about an inch compared to stock EA82 coupler.

Yeah I used an Outback one when I lifted my Brat

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,829 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

sweet, thanks guys.

so the two long pieces that space the cross member just lay flat on top of the ends of the cross members, spacing them maybe 1/2" or so?

how do you install it - remove the bolts and....support the crossmember with a jack, then lower it a bit once the bolts are removed?

"spin the rear strut top around" - what does that mean? if you spin it around 360 degrees it'll be right where it started? i know that's not true, but that's how it's in my head!

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

yep, when I did the lift on my wagon, I jacked up the car a bit, put jackstands under the crossmember. then used 2 jacks, one on each side, to lift the car from the framerails until I had enough clearance to fit the crossmember blocks in there.

rotate the rear strut top 180. that, combined with 2 of the little angle pieces pushes it down and out a bit.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,829 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

still not sure how those 4 blocks are supposed to be used for the rear diff? i know there are 4 bolts holding the diff to the rear hangar/bushing, but i'm not seeing how those blocks do anything since it's also bolted to the rear mustache bar and that huge 22mm/17mm bolt through the bushing.

Edited by grossgary, 14 June 2009 - 04:08 PM.

#8 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

You don't touch the rear diff at all. You simply drop down the rear struts. You rotate the rear strut tops 180* and then bolt them up with the little angle blocks. Leave the diff as is

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

If you are moving the diff, the whole mustache bar gets spaced down generally. There are other methods but it sounds like that's they type your's is.

GD

#10 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,618 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

OK looking at this picture
the top row is the mustache bar blocks and longer bolts for that
the next row is the rear shock extensions ,yes rotate the tops 180, the 4 long bolts and the 1" long pipes drop the diff ,
and then of course the front strut extensions , this is the first version , the new one comes with a front engine crossmember 1" block as Ive found on some not all installs the axles rub, Scott

Posted Image

#11 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,829 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

the 4 long bolts and the 1" long pipes drop the diff

thanks scott. guess it'll be obvious, but those 4 1" spacers go above the diff to space it downwards?

#12 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,618 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

thanks scott. guess it'll be obvious, but those 4 1" spacers go above the diff to space it downwards?

correct, the stock bolts are welded in need broke out

#13 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:17 AM

whatcha liftin?

#14 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,719 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:52 AM

whatcha liftin?

+1 me wanna know too :)

Can't wait to get my kit! =)

#15 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,829 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

whatcha liftin?

my daily driver XT6

#16 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,719 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

my daily driver XT6

Ooo cool1 You don't see a whole lot of lifted XTs, But there are some. :banana:

Make sure you get pics during and after! :)

-Tom

#17 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,829 posts
  • WV

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

I'm confused - it seems the description of parts here is different than in another EA82 SJR lift kit thread. In my thread the longest bolts are for dropping the rear diff.

In this thread:
http://www.ultimates...?t=99881&page=3
They are for the front cross member?

So my kit came without the front cross member blocks/bolts and the other kit came without the long bolts for dropping the rear diff?

Why is that?

I don't mind fabricating extra pieces, but want to get right what I've got when I go to do it.

#18 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,618 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

I'm confused - it seems the description of parts here is different than in another EA82 SJR lift kit thread. In my thread the longest bolts are for dropping the rear diff.

In this thread:
http://www.ultimates...?t=99881&page=3
They are for the front cross member?

So my kit came without the front cross member blocks/bolts and the other kit came without the long bolts for dropping the rear diff?

Why is that?

I don't mind fabricating extra pieces, but want to get right what I've got when I go to do it.

correct I now send out the crossmember 1" block as on some installations the axles rub , you have my first 2" lift I sent out so it does not have the 1" engine crossmeber spacer , the picture at my store needs updated

#19 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,829 posts
  • WV

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

thanks scott. i'll install a 1" block of i have rubbing axles.

so the other guy didn't get the rear bolts for dropping the rear diff? just curious why that is, are they not necessary?

being that i know nothing about lifts, it's better to keep that stuff tucked up under there for ground clearance if the axles can handle it right?

#20 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,719 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

I see you found your answer, hmmm. I am a little puzzled by not having the longer bolts for the diff. As I am new to lifts aswell :) I am sorry for being green this subject.

btw, can someone post a pic in this thread or in mine of were the axles tend to rub? I've been looking at my axles and I can't see where they could hit (On some installations)

-Tom

PS: Sorry I can't post a link to my thread, I'm using my PS3 (Firmware doesn't support copy/paste)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users