Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing SJR lift kit

I'm not seeing how these pieces are to be used on the SJR 2" lift kit. The front strut tops are obvious, everything else has me confused.

http://www.sjrlift.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=3

on the top row is the two longer rentagular channels.

below those are the 4 angled pieces.

in the center are the 4 small blocks. These were in a bag with the 4 longest

The two long rectangular pieces space down the front cross member, and then 4 angle pieces are for the rear struts, you spin the rear strut top around and they bolt right up. He spaces the front cross member down a bit to give the axles more room to move so they don't hit at all. You would have to extend you steering shaft a bit for this.

The two long rectangular pieces space down the front cross member, and then 4 angle pieces are for the rear struts, you spin the rear strut top around and they bolt right up. He spaces the front cross member down a bit to give the axles more room to move so they don't hit at all. You would have to extend you steering shaft a bit for this.

You can use a Legacy steering coupler, it is already extended about an inch compared to stock EA82 coupler.

sweet, thanks guys.

so the two long pieces that space the cross member just lay flat on top of the ends of the cross members, spacing them maybe 1/2" or so?

how do you install it - remove the bolts and....support the crossmember with a jack, then lower it a bit once the bolts are removed?

"spin the rear strut top around" - what does that mean? if you spin it around 360 degrees it'll be right where it started? i know that's not true, but that's how it's in my head!

yep, when I did the lift on my wagon, I jacked up the car a bit, put jackstands under the crossmember. then used 2 jacks, one on each side, to lift the car from the framerails until I had enough clearance to fit the crossmember blocks in there.

rotate the rear strut top 180. that, combined with 2 of the little angle pieces pushes it down and out a bit.

still not sure how those 4 blocks are supposed to be used for the rear diff? i know there are 4 bolts holding the diff to the rear hangar/bushing, but i'm not seeing how those blocks do anything since it's also bolted to the rear mustache bar and that huge 22mm/17mm bolt through the bushing.

Edited by grossgary

OK looking at this picture

the top row is the mustache bar blocks and longer bolts for that

the next row is the rear shock extensions ,yes rotate the tops 180, the 4 long bolts and the 1" long pipes drop the diff ,

and then of course the front strut extensions , this is the first version , the new one comes with a front engine crossmember 1" block as Ive found on some not all installs the axles rub, Scott

DSC01661.jpg

I'm confused - it seems the description of parts here is different than in another EA82 SJR lift kit thread. In my thread the longest bolts are for dropping the rear diff.

In this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99881&page=3

They are for the front cross member?

So my kit came without the front cross member blocks/bolts and the other kit came without the long bolts for dropping the rear diff?

Why is that?

I don't mind fabricating extra pieces, but want to get right what I've got when I go to do it.

I'm confused - it seems the description of parts here is different than in another EA82 SJR lift kit thread. In my thread the longest bolts are for dropping the rear diff.

In this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99881&page=3

They are for the front cross member?

So my kit came without the front cross member blocks/bolts and the other kit came without the long bolts for dropping the rear diff?

Why is that?

I don't mind fabricating extra pieces, but want to get right what I've got when I go to do it.

correct I now send out the crossmember 1" block as on some installations the axles rub , you have my first 2" lift I sent out so it does not have the 1" engine crossmeber spacer , the picture at my store needs updated

thanks scott. i'll install a 1" block of i have rubbing axles.

so the other guy didn't get the rear bolts for dropping the rear diff? just curious why that is, are they not necessary?

being that i know nothing about lifts, it's better to keep that stuff tucked up under there for ground clearance if the axles can handle it right?

I see you found your answer, hmmm. I am a little puzzled by not having the longer bolts for the diff. As I am new to lifts aswell :) I am sorry for being green this subject.

btw, can someone post a pic in this thread or in mine of were the axles tend to rub? I've been looking at my axles and I can't see where they could hit (On some installations)

-Tom

PS: Sorry I can't post a link to my thread, I'm using my PS3 (Firmware doesn't support copy/paste)