Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RWD conversion?

jg09

I've seen a few people do RWD conversions on AWD Subarus, but they never say how they did it, just that they did. I can see how it would be done on 4WD subies (pull out the front axle shafts), but how about for AWD subies?

Well... Beside That way to do a RWD Conversion, exist the "Latin American" Way, Very Weird: To Swap the entire RWD Drivetrain from Another Vehicle.

I Have Posted Pics here... For Example, Look at This Loyale Sedan:

HPIM0093.jpg?t=1255678326

Look Carefully Under the Vehicle and You`ll Notice...

HPIM0087.jpg?t=1255678354

...a RWD Drivetrain from a 1983 Corolla Wagon, includin` the Spring Leafs...

That`s Good Idea to Get Rid from Broken Axles... I Shoot those Pics here, in my Country.

Kind Regards.

So the center diff lock mod WILL work on these older Subaru automatics?

Well - if it's a 4EAT it will, yes. If it's a 3AT then it's already 4WD so.... I don't know as I've never been into one and I hope I never get the pleasure.

You asked about AWD's so my answers were about AWD. 4WD or FT4WD is a different animal.

GD

Take out the front axles and pull the outer axle stub off an old pair of axles and put it in the hub with the nut and pin. RWD

That wouldn't work with AWD.

And yes, it is the 4EAT without any 4WD provisions, just AWD

That wouldn't work with AWD.

And yes, it is the 4EAT without any 4WD provisions, just AWD

i told you that you can do the same thing with the 4EAT in my last reply - yes you can. you just need to cut one wire to turn the Duty C on and off (which will toggle the transmission between "locked" 4WD and stock AWD.

wont that break the output shaft gear or is that just the 4spds?

Eventually, yes it will probably break on any of the transmissions. The rear portion of the drive train was only designed for half the vehicle's power. Putting 100% through the back and going crazy with drifting, burnouts and such, things probably won't last too long.

I'll let you know how it works out on mine...

.:burnout:

:burnout:

Take out the front axles and pull the outer axle stub off an old pair of axles and put it in the hub with the nut and pin. RWD

i told you that you can do the same thing with the 4EAT in my last reply - yes you can. you just need to cut one wire to turn the Duty C on and off (which will toggle the transmission between "locked" 4WD and stock AWD.

From what it sounded like nolicense was saying, all i should do is take out the front axles. I was saying that without any other modification, this would not work.

no, you can't *just* take out the axle. but it's not that hard to cut one wire and install the cv ends into the hubs. if you can remove an axle that stuff is benign...like jacking the car up and removing the wheel is also a step beyond "just removing the axle".

that's akin to saying "i'm not replacing the brakes because i have to reinstall the wheel, that's an extra step" :lol: there's tons of steps..jack up car, remove lug nuts, remove wheel, remove nuts, knock out pin, reinstall, etc...:grin:

have someone on here send you the ends of a bad axle to install into the hubs. then you don't have to disassemble yours. plenty of folks around here have bad axles lying around, i have a ton just never drive EA82's so i don't have any for your car.

a stock EA82 is not going to break anything if you drive conservatively, if you're nailing shifts and drifting you'll probably break something....but you'll probably break something in AWD or RWD, so tear it up!!:lol::banana:

Edited by grossgary

So doing the center diff lock mod will make everything work out just fine? I was under the impression that it limited the difference in torque split, not truly "locked" it.

Knowing this, I think my Subie is going to be RWD very soon.

the 4EAT duty C modification is nearly identical in functionality to a truly "locked" manual trans. it works superbly off road, in the snow, etc.

"technically" it's a 60/40 split, but that's arm chair talk that you won't ever notice in real life driving. it's an 80's Subaru right? so either way it's a little bit of power to the rear and a little bit of power to the front!! :lol:

ok, here's a concept that I like. I know that people have put non-subaru transmissions into subarus for quite a while now. Anyone have any suggestions on a transmission i could use in my Subaru to give it RWD only? And where could I get an adapter plate to run it? I'm debating switching over to a manual. Putting in an automatic would keep things easier, but as long as the whole transmission is coming out of the car and i'm going through the work to swap in another one, I could go that route.

ok, here's a concept that I like. I know that people have put non-subaru transmissions into subarus for quite a while now. Anyone have any suggestions on a transmission i could use in my Subaru to give it RWD only? And where could I get an adapter plate to run it? I'm debating switching over to a manual. Putting in an automatic would keep things easier, but as long as the whole transmission is coming out of the car and i'm going through the work to swap in another one, I could go that route.

Why not just buy a pre-'84 toyota corolla if you want a cute old japanese wagon with rwd?

240sx transmissions are really common, and pretty damn bulletproof.