Ultimate Subaru Message Board

question on lsd conversion

strat

I read the article by qman on the 3.70 > 3.90 conversion.

is this something that can be done on the 4.11 r160 diff on a 95 legacy?

the install was focused on the ea series cars and I'm not sure if the diffs changed with the legacy...

• 11 months later...
old thread bump, huh....

only issue you might run into. is the splines for the axles changed a few times. so depending on the combo, you might run into issues.

Yeah, doing some research... :banana:

I sure hope its plug-n-play...

I'm running into NOT plug-n-play with a spring project :-\

Do you [or anyone] know anything about clutch rebuild kits for the R160 clutch LSDs?

Yeah, doing some research... :banana:

Do you [or anyone] know anything about clutch rebuild kits for the R160 clutch LSDs?

the last i remember lookin into the clutch kit it was kinda spendy, and it got recommended that i have a pro rebuild it if that was what i was after.it was factory parts only.but i never really got into the nissan side of it. that was from a subie dealer.cheers

since we're pulling this tread up again, I might as well ask (excuse the newbie-ness to rear diffs):

-When you guys say "chunk" are you referring to the diff carrier, itself?

-So as I read it, legacy 3.9 lsd's can fit into an ea82 non-lsd diff housing with little modification (grinding) to the housing, but everything else will bolt up? Or are you guys moving the ring and pinion from the ea82 3.9 to the legacy carrier? I though legacys were 4.something.

-And what is with the spline count differences between ea82's and legacys?

There aren't too many lsd 80's cars out here in the 4 corners area but there are a lot of legacys in the yards.

ring gears need to stay with the case they came from, put the ring gear back into its original with the pinion gear as it matches.

LSD cases have the "ears" ground off on the 4 insides so it will fit in. Non lsd diff still have the "ears", so you need to grind those ears off the case for it to fit. I lke to use a high speed air grinder with diamond bit for my grinding. you will grind down just to the side cover bolt holds are starting to show up. Compare to a original lsd case you will see the bolt holes.

make sure to stuff a rag over the pinion when grinding, and to use air compressor to blow it out and make sure its totally free of any debris.

i have done several of these now.and i have had them slide right in as well.it is a generic statement to say that the inside ears are present in all non-lsd cases.some of the later cases have definitely lessened ears too.as a matter of fact, the two 4.44's that i had were very easy to get the diff chunk into.it is a matter of finesse as opposed to making it fit.cheers , b

oh, we are talking about inserrting the chunk into the case.you know, just like it shows, and says in the FAQ.

Edited by monstaru

Cool, thanks guys,

I'm not timid in the least about attempting the swap. I just want to gain a better understanding of what cars can be swapped. I know XT's and RX's and late 80's GL-10's etc, but I didn't know it was the same diff chunk in the early legacys as stated earlier in this thread. I thought those were completely open diffs, as well, so didn't pay much attention to them.

Thanks

i can fit any chunk in any case, without ring gear attached. Its the part of when the ring gear is attached that the ears need ground off.

my point being, not always does the modification need done.cheers, b

I love this stuff. This is really good info. The nitty-gritty. Thank you both. Both of you have successfully squelched my apprehension to swap around differentials. Thanks for the help.

Edited by kanurys

• 6 months later...

O.K. I'm back to reviving oldness of threads...

I'm finally getting into installing my RX CLSD.

I now have a 99 OB 5MT with 4.11s and it's paired rear diff...

P1020659.JPGP1020638.JPG

I've got it open and varified it's openness

P1020640.JPG

P1020994.JPG

BUT here's the problem!

My 95 leggo (3.90 and worse yet, the intended home (99 OB 4.11s) don't have the roller pin for the inside of the half shaft... unless I'm missing something.

P1020997.JPGP1020998.JPG

ALSO, it looks like the inner splines (to go into the LSD (aka "chunk") unit are different from my OB inner splines... AKA, how can I get those RX splines to mate with OB half shafts?

P1020996.JPG

SOOOO, how does one put this CLSD into a legacy/Outback rear diff??

I recall folks saying they've put these "chunks" into 4.11s and 4.44s no problem... So I'm looking for help from these well experienced suby wrenches.

I admit I've never had a diff in-hand before, and the fact that I just pulled my tranny last week kind of freaks me out that I won't get it back together again.... I hope I will continue to exceed my experience in a successful manner by learning as I push my comfort limits, but I REALLY want to be able to use this LSD in my OB rear diff...

Please help!! :confused:

IF not, look for it on the marketplace for $280ish . . .:grin:

Edited by superu

just swap over to earlierr lego rear axles.simple as that.cheers, b

I do NOT have the diff case this came from, so I do NOT have the case side covers and their bolts, just the 00 OB rear diff and it's junk...

So, seriously?? I just get and use gen 1 legacy rear axles and it's all bolt and go?

That would make this guy a very happy camper...

Let me reiterate:

Pirate gen 1 legacy rear axles to join my 90 legacy rear hubs (used for a rear disk swap), on my 95 legacy, to a 99 OB rear diff with an 87? RX LSD unit?

is that right?

how can I get those RX splines to mate with OB half shafts?

You can't. r160s are pretty much all the same in case/gear dimensions. But, there are numerous different spline designs for the axles.

You will need to use the EA82-style bolt in stubs. And then use axles that have 23 female spline ends on them.

First-gen legacies have the correct spines. so your easiest route would be to get your hands on a pair of those axles.

Or, you may be able to make some hybrid axles. There's probably some combination of 23-spline DOJs (inners from any EA82 rear, or N/A EA82 front) that might work. There were a few different size joints, so one might slide right over the cage/balls of the OB shafts, or there's a chance that the inner race might swap onto the shaft itself.

You can't. r160s are pretty much all the same in case/gear dimensions. But, there are numerous different spline designs for the axles.

You will need to use the EA82-style bolt in stubs. And then use axles that have 23 female spline ends on them.

First-gen legacies have the correct spines. so your easiest route would be to get your hands on a pair of those axles.

Or, you may be able to make some hybrid axles. There's probably some combination of 23-spline DOJs (inners from any EA82 rear, or N/A EA82 front) that might work. There were a few different size joints, so one might slide right over the cage/balls of the OB shafts, or there's a chance that the inner race might swap onto the shaft itself.

I like the idea of gen 1 legacy axles better than hybridizing a bastard set. Only concern is axle elngths. Would it really be a bolt-on and I'd be good to go> It seems like that would be the case, especially since my hubs are actually 90 legacy wagon rear disk hubs. So it would just be swapping the inner CV mounting to older gen (RX/EA82/gen 1 legacy).

I guess that makes sense to me.

Thanks chux!!

Yep - you need inner axle joints from a 90 to 94 Legacy - or the whole axles. All the EJ axles are pretty much the same length. Differences do exist but they are very small and won't cause issues.

GD

I'll hold you to your word! I don't want no axles separating when I'm flying around a FS road or stompin' it in a rally cross! :lol:

I'm going to try to get it all back together and on the ground tomorrow then gather axle parts and do the LSD swap at a later date...

But seriously, thanks for the beta on the gen 1 leggo axles! I'm psyched I'll probably get to keep and use this CLSD!:banana::banana: