Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It seems that the cold around here is freezing up the power steering fluid so it gets harder to pump so the belt starts slipping on my 93 legacy.When I first start up in the morning its kinda hard to steer and I can hear the belt squealing.After turning the wheel a couple of times or so the steering feel is fine but the belt keeps squealing for a block or two until the fluid warms up enough. Is there a way to prevent the fluid from freezing up or do I just have to deal with the squealing and shortened belt life?It only happens on the first start up.The resulting start ups even if the engine is cold are completely normal with no squealing...

It seems that the cold around here is freezing up the power steering fluid so it gets harder to pump so the belt starts slipping on my 93 legacy.When I first start up in the morning its kinda hard to steer and I can hear the belt squealing.After turning the wheel a couple of times or so the steering feel is fine but the belt keeps squealing for a block or two until the fluid warms up enough. Is there a way to prevent the fluid from freezing up or do I just have to deal with the squealing and shortened belt life?It only happens on the first start up.The resulting start ups even if the engine is cold are completely normal with no squealing...

Do you run a block heater?

If you do ignore this.

If not: It's a good deal for your car. Makes life much easier for that boxer wnen it's super cold. Saves wear and fuel and your heater comes on sooner too. I put them on everything I own. $35 at the dealer. Later.

Change to synthetic ATF. Maybe that will solve your problem, but I don't know if it has a better flow rate when very cold.

I second this. That's what's in my power steering pump reservoir and I never experienced any problem with the steering and it's real cold here during the winter.

I also second those who told you to put on a new belt and give it the proper tension.

Also spin the pump pulley by hand when you change the belt. Maybe there's a problem with the pump itself.

Do you run a block heater?

If you do ignore this.

If not: It's a good deal for your car. Makes life much easier for that boxer wnen it's super cold. Saves wear and fuel and your heater comes on sooner too. I put them on everything I own. $35 at the dealer. Later.

Mmm, yeah, I may be warming up the car every couple hours tonight. -17 expected in Greeley, crap, Do Svidanya Komrad.:lol:

Turns out the squealing wasn't the PS belt.Whats the only other belt on the front of a NON air conditioned EJ22.Turns out I had just a few percentage points less of antifreeze than what was required.like 30% when I needed 35% or more.Turns out that the coolant was iced over.Now I think the water pump shaft is broken.When it was still squealing I heard something go snap.That and I appear to have a coolant leak on the right front of the engine by the upper radiator hose. I hate these sub zero temps we have been having...

is there anyway to test proper operation of the water pump without pulling everything apart?Now I need to try to get my diesel truck to start in this weather...

How old is the waterpump? If the coolant was truly frozen (at the number your speaking of it would just be slush) then you may have bigger problems.

I am thinking that your waterpump is just old and tired and the bearing may have seized.

nipper