Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-22T 88RX swap

CHIM

OK, sonit's been a few years since i got my motorless RX and im gettin sick of seeing just sit in the driveway collecting dust.

Being somewhat intimidated in cutting and wiring in the EJ ecu and harness i have decided to go with a complete megasquirt system.

wassn't really looking forward to the task of wire diving, mostly the reason i havn't started this project sooner. i also like the idea of custom tuning my setup and possibly going to be going with an ECU managed boost control of the turbo. and not having to worry about fuel cuts.

I can't seem to find this ever elusive EJ-EA swap writup, been a while since i have been on the usmb.

A few questions...

How well should i expect the RX tranny to hold up to the EJ-22 Turbo?

What flywheel and cluth do i need for the swap?

motor mount need to be modified?

Can anyone link me the writeup? :P

I will most likly be posting my progress as it happens, starting with the megasquirt assembly.

I WANNA DRIVE MY RX!!!!

Dayten.

maybe read something other than the first post?

I had junkie link it to me, i still can't find it for some reason...

Anyway, i think i have all the info i need, i am still a little unclear on a few things but ill figure them out i guess.

here is the forum http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

The RX transmission will take the EJ22 turbo it is arguably the strongest 5 speed Subaru has made.

awsome!, that was my biggest worry. really don't wanna destroy it as there's not to many around, and i am un able to find a legacy trany for a reasonable deal. at this point it would be cheaper to buy a legacy than just the tranny.

TY vagen.

the person who told me this has broken his fair share of Subaru transmissions he has also built some very powerful Subys and now owns a tuning shop to do this. Pleades helped build my car originally and now has two One Lap victories. I don't take his word lightly.

Even the best mechanics can be mistaken sometimes ;)

But I have to admit, my 200k RX tranny is still alive.

But its getting tired and I know when I do my swap its days are numbered.

I seriously doubt the RX tranny can last when it has over 200ft lbs of torque going to it.

IMO the XT6, single range with FT4wd w/Difflock has got to be the strongest Subaru 5spd.

Has a large suppoert bearing on front of the input shaft. No D/R transfer gears....so it's a straight through shaft to the gears. And the Center Diff and Locker are WAAAAY beefier than the wimpy output gear on the PartTime units.

Otherwise.....all the bearings and gears are 99.9 % identical between EA82 and EJ 5spds.

awsome!, that was my biggest worry. really don't wanna destroy it as there's not to many around, and i am un able to find a legacy trany for a reasonable deal. at this point it would be cheaper to buy a legacy than just the tranny.

TY vagen.

How about just buying a whole turbo legacy with a good drivetrain, and rusted out or wrecked or something? Then you'll have the engine, the transmission, and the wiring harness you need to swap into the RX?

How about just buying a whole turbo legacy with a good drivetrain, and rusted out or wrecked or something? Then you'll have the engine, the transmission, and the wiring harness you need to swap into the RX?

I have been unable to find a legacy in the JY, i allready have the motor (tho i havn't seen it run so no idea what shape it's in) but it does have compression.

I have been for a while now looking for a legacy 5 speed and unsuccessfull so far.

I have the stock ECU and harness but i don't need it, im going to be usuing a Megasquirt system to control fuel and ignition. For ease and tunability.

My biggest worry is that tranny, i have destroyed a few D/R 5 speeds in my EA81 turbo subie. I know that 2.2 trubo is gonna have alot more thump to it, was just hoping the RX tranny was better built. If the RX tranny is pretty much the same as the D/R im gonna have a problem....

I have come to the realization, "if it can be broke... Ill break it".

Worse case, ill run the RX tranny till it breaks while still looking for an EJ 5-speed.

I have been for a while now looking for a legacy 5 speed and unsuccessfull so far.

Really? There's a stack of them at the shop in boulder, and I think they're asking about $500 for them (which is not much more than buying SJR's EJ-EA adaptor to use it with the RX transmission). Seems like Oregon should have a similarly good source of them somewhere... but I dont' know.

Seriously, Central Oregon should have a bunch of them, every other car is a Subaru.

Exactly!, there's tons of them here......driving around, they don't get crushed here, they get revived and driven. :-p

The trick is finding a specific vehicle in the JY thats not stripped allready.

LOTS of GL's and all the legacy's i find are automatic or missing the tranny.

Exactly!, there's tons of them here......driving around, they don't get crushed here, they get revived and driven. :-p

The trick is finding a specific vehicle in the JY thats not stripped allready.

LOTS of GL's and all the legacy's i find are automatic or missing the tranny.

He's referring to the outback I found while on the phone with him the other day. I came back 3 days later to get a better look at that 2.5 but they had crushed it in the mean time. That's Southern California for you, a two week crush limit and no inventory on vehicles. You have to go walk the lot every bloody time to see if you can find anything of use.

Ok, so here's my RX, and yes it is really that streight, this is the side that has the only 2 body flaws, and im missing the wing :(

picture.php?albumid=208&pictureid=2024

Whoa dude, nice! I've never been a fan of the wing, think it ruins the shape (although I do understand its a pretty important stand-out part for an RX coupe :D ). If I were you I'd just keep it off.

Good luck on the swap, EJ22T would be awesome! Just wish we got them imported over here.... :(

It would have been sweet with that 400 in it, but its a costly project. I think I'm going to hold off on the turbo for now and just put the 2.2 in, I'm worried about the dual range 5 speed. If I do lose the tranny, I will have a heck of a time finding another one. Plus I don't want to rush the turbo, I just need to get the car on the road, besides I think I need to go MegaSquirt anyway with a nice turbo header with an all wheel drive setup. I guess I'm just not ready to give up the dual range yet.

Edited by phantomcrooner

It would have been sweet with that 400 in it, but its a costly project. I think I'm going to hold ogg on the turbo for now and just put the 2.2 in, I'm worried about the dual range 5 speed. If I do lose the tranny, I will have a heck of a time finding another one. Plus I dont want to rush the turbo, I just need to get the car on the road, besides I think I need to go MegaSquirt anyway with a nice turbo header with an all wheel drive setup. I guess I'm just not ready to give up the dual range yet.

its expensive. i dropped a small block 400 with an overdrive tranny in my camaro last year. it makes quite the sleeper. just plain jane 81 camaro. turned out to not be all the much faster than the suby. but roasting the tires is a lot of fun lol

i just picked up an ej20 swap from a junkyard and i am debating the same thing with the rx tranny. i like it but dont want to break it. i will probably go with a legacy transmission because the clutch setup is supposed to be better from what i have heard. and no adapter plate or drilled flywheel. i picked up a 5 speed xt6 crossmember a few years ago in anticipation of this kind of project.