Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb here. This thing rare? 85 Turbo Rx?

Just picked this pretty minty purchase up. 1 owner 122k miles and super clean runs perfect and everything works as it should. Original everything.

I had a wrx back in the 02 season and just fell into this thing. Sick knobby tires.

What do i do with it? Lower and good stance? Leave it all stock drive and resell? Keep for collector item? Anyone got some info to pass on. Whats it worth.? The interior is sick. So racer!

8e42d8f6.jpg

5bb2de66.jpg

e9aa37a6.jpg

e100355a.jpg

thanks guys im stoked on the car as a whole. Wanna play with it but didnt want to ruin a car that should be appreciated stock

OMG... That may be the cleanest, nicest one I've seen on the list!!!! :slobber: It is so nice, I would be afraid to mess with it at all.

First thing I would do is, if it hasn't already been done, replace the single core radiator with a dual core.

PS/ What tranny does it have in it?

It has the 5 spd dual range 4wd setup. Car was laughable clean. Guy had it for 1500 on craislist and got 20 calls he said. Got lucky it just happened to be me who got it. This color more eare then others? Where could i get some info?

Its somewhat rare, dont see to many 85's any more. Even tho its a low mileage engine, I would not do any mods to it. Replace the rad with a 2 row as stated above and check/replace all coolant hoses/lines.

Nothing rare about the color either, I believe its cosmic blue.

I'm a little suspicious about those tires tho, they look to be rally tires.

Which could mean its been to a few races.......maybe.

Yeh will be bringing the car home this weekend then check the cooling stuff. Thinking about intake/exhaust and possibly a wrx tmic setup. This car is way to clean and original to have been rallied. Barely any paint chips and it was a 1 owner car from a mexican family. The tires are kuhmo somethings. Look awesome and give the look

Yes, it Looks Great! ... I Like it!

I Kindly Suggest you to ask the Previous Owner about the Last Timin' Belts Change and if they're too Old is Better Idea to Change 'em along their Tensioners. Also the Oil / Filter \ Sparkplugs ... The Usual.

I Really Like the Checkered interior, I just saw One here in my Country.

Kind Regards.

Nice new car, let me give you some advice on keeping it that way. There telling you to replace the rad and make sure your cooling system is in good order is because these things love to overheat and blow headgaskets if the cooling system isnt up to par. And they blow very easly when it starts to get hot so thats why there warning you.

As far as lowering the stance, there are ways to do it but the harder thing is finding aftermarket wheels and tires if you wanted them. You can use peugot wheels and there wheel lugs only. As far as lowering it there are ways you can do this while retaining the factory ride qualty, then you can buy cheep coilovers on ebay and have a bumpy ride.

More then likely this might of been someones winter car or snow bunny. If they went into the mountains to go skiiing or something like that.

Holy Schnikeys did you guys see it has the original subaru foglights with covers. Definately well taken care of car.

Exhaust is ok to do, but ask guys on here about bigger turbos and intercoolers and thell tell you your waisting your time. These motors simply werent able to handle alot of upgrades. You can always swap in other more powerfull subaru engines with alittle of electric work to do to them. They make a ej22 motor adaptor plate which will hook up to your factory trans so you can have a 130+hp motor and still have the awsomeness of a dual range tranny.

Usually we dont see them with 100k miles and in decent form. Do like others say, make sure the cooling system is good to go and you should be ok. Correct me if im wrong guys but the factory RX turbos came with rear disc brakes and rear sway bars. If it has those you can upgrade to the bigger sway bars from other subarus. These older subarus are like legos, alot of things just plug right in.

Edited by The Dude Abides

Well, the sedan's are rather rare in the RX flavor.

I don't ever remember seeing an RX sedan in my lifetime...

But, as was stated before me, make sure your cooling system is in top notch shape and don't do a lot of upgrading to the stock engine.

I personally would keep it stock and use it as show car, considering how nice it

is.

Twitch

Found some brochure mentioning 1500 were made. Bet not many in this color. Think i could contact subaru and find out how many rx sedans were made. They should have records of colors amd such one would imagine. Hmm def not going to be touching this thing. !!