Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Off Road Bumpers anyone??? * * * Done Post 28 * * *

newsoobdude

Well my friend wasn't around yesterday to finish the bumper so won't be done til Monday :mad:. Will be welding a "bash plate" in center of lower opening instead of a bolt on skid plate then the light tabs and 'coating. Thoughts, ideas, input appreciated. Forgot, found another pic for ya'll.

photo-1.jpg

Edited by newsoobdude

Well it's done and mounted but getting pics from my friend is a PITA and I don't have a camera. Looks bad arse and will post pics when lights are mounted up (hopefully Wednesday). Will be test fitting it on the 12th at the little meet n greet here- http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114764 on a 2000 to see what needs to be changed to fit it.

Specs-

2x5 3/16" DOM Square Tubing

1/4" Plate Lower Mount bolt-through OEM tow hook

1/8" 18" wide bolt on Skid Plate (optional 36" wide)

6 Light tabs (4 top 2 bottom)

Comparable weight to OEM assembly

...something just doesn't flow right... The lower lights are just waiting to be busted...

Yeah, it is kinda "chunky" but I prefer square stock to round stock, could do tube if people are interested. As for the lights, yeah I noticed that right after, the one thing I forgot to check and first thing I noticed after:banghead:. I'll keep this one for a while then fab a new one with winch. Keep this one for the ranch wagon then.

I would be careful on cars with airbags, the sensors behind the bumpers are designed for a certain G force, and solid bumpers will increase the G forces for any given speed meaning you might pop a bag at a speed where it would be unnecessary, or even dangerous.

Just my .02 but I would put an Offroad only disclaimer on any bumper you sell.

Airbags should probably be disabled for slow speed offroading anyway. You can pull the fuse, or even install a switch.

Yeah, except that airbag systems are designed to not go off below a certain speed.

And the other 99.99% of the time the bumpers will still interfere with their proper operation.

I'm just saying, that I'd only put a steel bumper on a car without airbags unless it was designed by a real engineer for use on an airbag equipped car.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the warning all about the airbags, I never thought about it. THESE BUMPERS ARE FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY so there is the disclaimer. Also, these will fit a first gen Outback Sport and Impreza's so yay! Pics of the OBS fitment thanks to S'ko.

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0007.jpg

Now just need to see who all is interested and Group Buy will begin October. Will post new thread for that here.

• 3 weeks later...
It's too bad Mudrat is banned because he made a sharp looking off-road bumper for legacies.

He's still fabricating them.

IMG_0115.jpg

Where do you have that one mounted to the unibody?? Doesn't look like where the bumper used to be attached....which would negate the whole airbag issue.

EDIT

I just looked at the pics from post 28 again, well really just the final one - the profile one and I gotta tell you I'm kinda baffled. Do you have the entire bumper secured to the unibody on the towhooks? As far as I can see, and read on your post, you've got that whole hunk of steel secured through nothing other than the towhooks. What kind of stress do you think those hardpoints can handle? 45 mph head on's? Does the whole bumper vibrate or shudder or move at all? It just doesn't seem like the best place to fasten it to the front end especially since the bumper mounts are right there and all. I guess I really just want to hear the logic for this....from a clearance point of view.

Edited by 99lego

Look at the second pic in post 37. It's mounted to the unibody at the stock location. Large square bar going straight back from the rear of the bumper.

I think I would have made it so all the lights mount BEHIND the bumper rather than hanging out off the front. I can see those getting plucked off when you run into that tree. :lol:

I think I would have made it so all the lights mount BEHIND the bumper rather than hanging out off the front. I can see those getting plucked off when you run into that tree. :lol:

Yeah, I was more interested in tucking the bumper in as close to the body as I could and didn't really care about the lights. The "production" bumpers will sit out 3 inches further from the body and have the lights mounted behind it. This one will end up being used on my ranch wagon and get a different one down the road when I'm done modding the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey 99lego,

Are you in Flag? Do you have a blue car?

**EDIT** Just reread others and remembered you've got the white leggo on OB struts and John's strut-top spacers/blocks.

A friend in Flag said he saw a blue leggo/OB with a Baja bumper on it a few months ago... I'm curious. . .

cheers to a fellow Mudrat baja bumper owner!

picture.php?albumid=79&pictureid=964

He's still fabricating them.

IMG_0115.jpg

Edited by superu