Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am wondering if anyone knows why early foresters have problems with front CV joints going bad. Mine is always the passengers side front. I have talked to some subaru mechanics in the area and they said, yes they go bad more than normal, but had not idea what causes it or if anything can be done.

I have been using rebuilts. Does anyone know of a brand that has a lifetime guarantee? It only takes 1/2 hour to change one. About the only thing that I would think could cause the problem is that the transfer case is not slipping enough and binding on the axles. Never had one apart, so don't know.

Thank you. I will get one. The one I replaced about 5K miles ago is starting to make noise under a very light load. I have to wait until it gets worse to get some play out of the joint to tell if it is the right or left. As far as I remember it is always the outer joint.----Jack

If you want an axle that's going to last more than 25k (and boots that last more than 10k :rolleyes:) you need to get new OEM axles from the dealer. You can expect 100k from OEM (NTN is the OEM manufacturer) units. Others are typically very inferior - even new ones. They may have a warantee but that doesn't compensate you for replacement labor, etc.

I have had decent results with the EMPI axles (new, no core charge, etc) but even with them the boots aren't great quality so expect to do boot jobs every couple years at least - especially on the passenger side where the cat is located. Or you could gut the cat and install a non-fouler in the secondary O2 sensor to eliminate the ECU code as well as the heat that kills the axle boots. :lol:

Seriously though - if it were mine I would totally gut the cat just to save the axle boots. :grin:

GD

From my experience so far the NAPA Maxdrive will last a lot longer than 25k. I have not seen one fail yet. The only issue I have see with them is on a lifted EA82, but that is pretty normal for just a strut lift.

If you want an axle that's going to last more than 25k (and boots that last more than 10k :rolleyes:) you need to get new OEM axles from the dealer. You can expect 100k from OEM (NTN is the OEM manufacturer) units. Others are typically very inferior - even new ones. They may have a warantee but that doesn't compensate you for replacement labor, etc.

I have had decent results with the EMPI axles (new, no core charge, etc) but even with them the boots aren't great quality so expect to do boot jobs every couple years at least - especially on the passenger side where the cat is located. Or you could gut the cat and install a non-fouler in the secondary O2 sensor to eliminate the ECU code as well as the heat that kills the axle boots. :lol:

Seriously though - if it were mine I would totally gut the cat just to save the axle boots. :grin:

GD

Aftermarket axles are inferior, good word GD, don't waste your time. the problem isn't with CV's or design... I've never heard of "repetitive failures" here - except just cheap aftermarket axles. they fail ALL the time. leaking grease, noises, clicking, vibration, boots coming off, clamps not tight, fail in 15,000 miles.....you name it. i even had one blow to pieces after less than a mile, caged exploded, balls rolling all over the ground. I think that was the last aftermarket axle i bought and i'm glad, they were a waste of time.

MWE out of colorado is OEM quality for a great price - he's been rebuilding Subaru axles for decades. He knows subaru and supplies all the locals there (Subaru rich country by the way).

Or get a good used Subaru axle and reboot them.

• 1 year later...

I've modified my early Brat with an old aluminum license plate mounted between the cat and axle boot on that side. Positioned so that there's good airflow over the top of the 'plate and it keeps most of the heat from the cat from destroying the inner boot. Seemed to work for me since I never had to replace that axle again. Not sure if it's still working since I sold that Brat last year.

I have bought reman axles for my cars from Autozone, and for the most part, have been very satisfied with their rebuilds. Yea, a lot of people complain about poor after market quality, and I am sure OEM provides better quality. Still, I have had to replace only one, and AZ has a lifetime warranty. Just save your receipt, and they will replace an axle, with no questions asked. Cost for my Outback was about $60. Like you said, labor time to replace an axle is less then an hour, so swapping out is no big deal.

Lifetime or limited lifetime? The dude behind counter said, "one replacement" for the lifetime, thats the limited part of it." Sorry, I'm leery, I tend to keep my stuff real long time. NAPA, I think lost $ on me, I still have my 1973 dodge van!! Lots of napa goodies!

On edit: just came from Auto zone & they said, Limited Lifetime is life span of my ownership of car, & agreed that Advance Auto is only, one time replacement, for their Limited Lifetime.

Edited by bork