Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever supercharge an ea81

84gl

I have just got An Used Eaton M45 supercharger off of a mini cooper S for $80!!!!!!:banana::banana::banana::grin::grin:

blower3.jpg

blower1.jpg

blower2.jpg

blower4.jpg

Now what I'm thinking is to use this thing on my 76 FE Coupe I've been restoring over the past few years I have already swapped it over to an ea81 with SPFI and a 4spd S/R and converted it to RWD I am hoping to finish it and my brat this winter being that all I lack is the body work or mud work all the rust repair is done. So if I use this supercharger on the ea81 will I need to pull the motor and and use an ea81t short block? this is a stockish ea81 with stock pistons will the 8.7-1 comp be too high?

Edited by 84gl

Now I know I'm going to have to make adapter plates one for the intake one to actually mount the throttle body and dry fitting it. It looks as though it will fit under the hood just fine if I mount the throttle body like I'm thinking by welding up and machining fixture out of alum. and bolting it to the end of the supercharger in is stock position

Well these are the known specs on the supercharger Eaton says its for 2.0-3.0L engines max 1000 cfm, 27psi but for the mini it was factory set to 1 bar or around 14psi I'm shooting for 7-9 psi

It was off of a Stock mini cooper S with 27k that was totaled roll over and then by something big form the looks of it it actually busted the motor block :eek: thats why I got it so cheap the supercharger was undamaged lucky the pics are form after I cleaned it up int the hot tank at work

Every supercharged cooper is was a 1.8l engine. If your wanting to detune the charger, you will have to go to a bigger pully. Check out Alta for a pully. I put alot of these pulleys on when I worked for Mini. What ever you do, do not split the case of the charger. You cannot buy the oil that goes in it.

What ever you do, do not split the case of the charger. You cannot buy the oil that goes in it.

I've rebuilt plenty of rotory lobe blowers - adequate lubricants are availible for the syncronizing gears.

In essence, it's a tri-lobe lobe blower - or "low pressure, positive displacement, air pump" if you prefer. They are used in industry for many applications and the automotive one's are nothing special other than being smallish. I've done rebuilds on units where I could stand inside the housing.

GD

na it wont work better send it to me i will give you scrap value for it. lol

as for blowers i use them in reverse function for my vacuum truck have 3 running from 500 cfm to 1500 cfm have funn buddy theres one on the au subaru site running a cs14 toyota blower recons its just funnnnnnnnnn

dibs:banana:

I made the intake to blower adapter plate yesterday out of inch alum so its going on I still have not figured out the compression yet whether to swap the blocks or not as for Oringing the block I'm not going to do that yet I think I'll just see how this this will run first and if it goes through head gaskets or not being a toy not a daily driver thats not a issue. For now I think I'll just run the stock ea81 short block 8.7-1 compression and see what happens. I think I will just run it at 7psi anyway. I know an ea81 will handle 11.5-1 or 235psi thats around what I'm running N/A on my Brat right now and have been for three years it holds together just fine.I will probably have to megasquirt it too get it to run right anyway so, it going to be awhile before it runs again.