Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car-like 6lug rims?

With my assortment of vehicles, My 89 GL former turbowagon, now EJ22 equipped, is going to be kept as a car. I'd like it to have a bit better of tires, though. Right now I have the stock 13" steelies with Hakkas. What I'd like to do is grab a set of fairly car-like 6lug 15" wheels, preferably something with center caps, redrill the wheels or the hubs, and just go with it. I already have the four wheel disks, so it wouldn't be a huge gain to go to 5lug stuff aside from wheel selection.

Does anyone have a wheel they would recommend?

I already have the four wheel disks, so it wouldn't be a huge gain to go to 5lug stuff aside from wheel selection.

it really is. I noticed a substantial difference going from 4-lug 4-wheel discs to 5-lug, just using single-piston FWD legacy front brakes. the extra diameter in the rear discs alone is a noticeable upgrade.

That said, I know there are some newer Chevy minivans that use 6-lug. Also I think the Cadillac CTS-V does :grin:

already stated isuzu has the 6 lugs

so does

Chevy

Toyota

Dodge ram 50 ran them

Mitsubishi ran 6 lugs

dodge ram 50s have nice crome "steelies" i had old chevy 5 slot mag alloys on my wagon i tossed the center caps tho.

escalade runs 6 lugs (Mitsubishi the mighty max dodge ram 50 and isuzu pup (all the same damn truck) owners that lower their trucks usually bolt up escalade rims

oh and yes in 15" they are "car-like" rims hub caps can go on all of them except the escalade rims

Edited by True2Blue

The Isuzu Pup/Chevy Luv are NOT the same as the Mitsu MM/Dodge D50. They do both use the 6x5.5" pattern though. Completely different trucks though - the Mitsu/Dodge is a huge POS while the Isuzu's were really decent trucks - especially the Diesel's.

GD

i know i clumped them together but i meat the mistu and ram 50. ive ownd both. not too bad.. the 50 got slammed with a 383 & 700r (3500 stall) swap b&m bump shift kit w/reverse lockout

IMG00673.jpgair cleaner flew off when i left my left my buddys honda (going 120mph, my speedo wasnt hooked up i wanted to test the.. um.. clear coat integrity) in the dust.

sorry GD ill keep on my toes a bit better :P

i know i clumped them together but i meat the mistu and ram 50. ive ownd both. not too bad.. the 50 got slammed with a 383 & 700r (3500 stall) swap b&m bump shift kit w/reverse lockout

How can you say it's not too bad when you yarded out the entire drivetrain for an SBC? :rolleyes:

Mitsu's are junk mechanically and electrically. Period. You should know this having been that deep in one. :lol:

GD

Mitsu's are junk mechanically and electrically. Period. You should know this having been that deep in one. :lol:

GD

Junk is a relative term. I admit the Mitsubishi trucks aren't as reliable as a toyota or subaru.... but my D50 sure was a lot better than anything made in the US.

I have a set of 14" six lug whitespokes off my Courier, I'm just looking for something that isn't so much a truck rim and will go with the Subaru's styling a bit more.

How about the stock courier rims (from a '72 to '75 or so, I'm thinking) - -those are alot more carlike looking than the white spoke ones.

Z

How about the stock courier rims (from a '72 to '75 or so, I'm thinking) - -those are alot more carlike looking than the white spoke ones.

Z

14"

These are what you want, they have the best offset to fit in a subaru wheel well without sticking out. 88-91? Toyota PU

P1010055-1.jpg

My stock Courier rims are long gone, but they were mismatched anyways. I had two first gens, and two second gens on it so they didn't actually match to begin with.

I thought of the Toyota rims, but I was hoping to not expose my redrilling like that.

As a side thought, aren't the newer GM cars a smaller pattern? I know the XTerra is now on a 6x4.5" pattern, those GMs look like they are about that size.

The Mitsu diesels aren't too bad. It would have been a lot easier to shoehorn that engine and trans into my Courier than the Mercedes setup. Of course, the Merc has a bit more power...........

Edited by 4x4_Welder

my grandpa's mighty maxx went to 245k gave it to my aunt and within 5k she ran it out of oil and killed it.

i THINK he was talking about the wiring harness and electrical not the integrity of the shared engine. they are okay to me im strictly subaru and chevy :P

The Mitsu diesels aren't too bad. It would have been a lot easier to shoehorn that engine and trans into my Courier than the Mercedes setup. Of course, the Merc has a bit more power...........

I still think about putting my spare mitsubishi diesel + 4x4 tranny into my sasquatch.... if the stock engine didn't run perfectly fine already in there...

You ought to do that swap anyways- It'd at least double your power at that altitude. You could probably sell the current drivetrain on FCC for a few bucks too.

Those Mitsu rims aren't bad. I'll probably have to stop off at a few different tire shops to see what they might have to offer.