Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New '86 Brat Restoration Pix

New Chicago pix . . . culmination of a 10-year and seemingly endless project to keep an '86 Brat on the road. Sanded to raw steel . . . lots of underbody and unexpected rust once the drivetrain was removed. Installed new sheet metal where feasible . . . rear wheel wells, hood, doors, tailgate, '82 front end w/Cyclops light/radiator mount, new paint and stripes, new interior, new plastic everything . . . and utterly irrational from an economic perspective.

post-3004-136027644374_thumb.jpg

post-3004-13602764438_thumb.jpg

post-3004-136027644384_thumb.jpg

post-3004-136027644392_thumb.jpg

Edited by DahlEd

New Chicago pix . . . culmination of a 10-year and seemingly endless project to keep an '86 Brat on the road . . . gutted to raw steel; new sheet metal, new wheel wells, hood, doors, tailgate, new paint, '82 front end, Cyclops light/radiator mount, new stripes, new interior, new plastic everything . . . and utterly irrational from an economic perspective.

Ah, but she is a thing of Beauty. No? Well done!

nice brat.

what did you do for fender sidemarker lights? same place as a 91-94 legacy good visibility and a good safety thing. why don't they put those sidemakers on the new ones. dumb engineers i think. that was a smart thing when they did it and kudos to you to retrofit them to a brat.

nice brat.

pug flat spokes, what size tires are you on for them?

Edited by bheinen74

The sidemarker lights are JDM OEM EP3 Honda 02-05 Civic SI amber-color assemblies. No reason to use them other than they were of Japanese origin and seemed to look right. Placement was an issue due to unibody clearance constraints beneath the front fenders. The cap is a great design -- it follows the lines of the cab and sits cleanly on the chrome bed trim. The problem with the cap was that the rubber gasket was rotted and some research was needed to come up with a suitable alternative. Tires are size 195/50-15.

Edited by DahlEd

Thank you for your comments. I have . . . on-hand . . . 4 Peugeot hub-center covers in which the "lion" image has been filled-in with Bondo to make them flat, and then painted. But after installation, they looked dorky from a cool perspective. I interfaced with an English dome provider about 5 years ago who sent me some aperture "lids" to exactly fit the Peugeot wheel openings. For the next photo update, and presuming I can find them as my garage is a wreck, you can count on some sort of update! Endless fun . . .