Ultimate Subaru Message Board

disk brake options

ok

im in need of some disk brakes for the rear of my L series wagon, leone i think in america basically its the 4 stud variety.

ive had a few deals fall through but im not really that bothered, crap happens and we hadent really decided on it.

so this thread is to ask for anyone else who has a set of diask brakes for sale and willing to ship, at my expense

or to ask for alternative options, anyone know of calipers that are the same??

backing plate the like i can get made up here but proper subaru rear disks here cost a little too much for me

Nissan 200 SX calipers will bolt up the same but have an integral parking brake as well. Some have used these to convert to a rear parking brake. Actually kind of a neat upgrade.

The backing plate, caliper, and hub are the important parts - I would imagine you can buy the disc locally over there?

If no one else has a set, I can find you some I'm sure. Lots of cars in the yards here. Usually runs about $150 to $175 for the parts and my time to pull them. Someone else may have them for less off a parts car, etc, while I would have to buy them from a local yard so you may find a better deal. But I have no problem finding you some and shipping them. :)

Maybe we could work out a trade - I want an EJ carb manifold with integrated coolant cross-over....

GD

Nissan 200 SX calipers will bolt up the same but have an integral parking brake as well. Some have used these to convert to a rear parking brake. Actually kind of a neat upgrade.

the nissan calipers work with the subaru caliper brackets.

Thing is, the backing plate is just a piece of 1/4" (or so) steel with some holes drilled in it. wouldn't be too difficult to cut your own to work with almost any locally available caliper.

the hub would be the hardest part to recreate. But maybe you could machine down a drum into a usable hub. and then find a rotor that could be machined/redrilled to slip over it (with some longer studs, of course).

meh. a true rally build needs a hydraulic handbrake if you plan to use it to induce a slide.

Even if 200SX calipers were common (240SX/silvia ones would work too), it doesn't solve much. you still need the subaru hubs, rotors, backing plates, caliper brackets and pads. seems to me if you were getting all that, you'd get the subaru calipers too.

make the hubs, what we did with the 2wd brakes

rotors are easy to get here, hence why im not buying rotors in us to cut down on shipping

modify the backing plate from the front brakes

build brackets

and pads well that doesnt even come into the consideration =)

i cant put hydraulik

meh. a true rally build needs a hydraulic handbrake if you plan to use it to induce a slide.

i true rally driver doesnt need the handbrake to slide the car =)

and as a road car i cant put it in, maybe connect the main handbrake to the rear and have a secondary handbrake that will run on all 4 wheels

Whew! silly me. Turns out you had all the answers to everything ever all along :lol:

let us know how that goes for ya! boy, using front dust sheilds to make rear backing plates, and fabricating caliper brackets from scratch. Wow, why didn't anyone else think of these things!!!

"rear park brake however on my rally wagon this would be well worth it"

your words, my friend. But yea, I guess since you're an accomplished rally driver and WRC builder you would know better. :rolleyes: