Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of engine do I have?

Hey Y'all,

Here's a stupid question: what kind of engine do I have in my '85 GL BRAT?

I'm inclined to think it's a ea82, but wonder if it's a ea 81. I've seen in EBay complete Weber Carb kits, but it says it's ea81 compatable only.

What I'm thinking is that I'd like to get more power and better braking (like Frankensteining rear disks from a Loyale or something), because I'd like to trail stuff behind this car. Maybe like a (super) small camper, or maybe trail my Miata. But that has other issues of concern (like how do you get your car on a trailer by yourself, esp'y w/ a low ground clearance vehicle?

So do you think I've got a ea81 or ea82? Note that it's a 4-SP '85 GL BRAT.

Are you in madison, WI? the weber carb should fit ea81 and ea82 engines the same, with the adapter plate that replaces hitachi carbs.

an ea82 engine will fit under the hood and bolt up as well, with a few tricks, easlily enough.

if you are indeed madison wisconsin, follow us (Subaru Alliance) here:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14090&highlight=milwaukee

it should, if the original engine, be EA81 with Hydro lifters, a step up from the non-hydros of earlier years. Yours is better, no valve adjustments every 15k miles. Look for a silver sticker on the sides of valve covers stating this. 85-87 Brats had 74hp vs the 73hp of 84 and older due to valve upgrades.

brent

Edited by bheinen74

What I'm thinking is that I'd like to get more power and better braking (like Frankensteining rear disks from a Loyale or something), because I'd like to trail stuff behind this car. Maybe like a (super) small camper, or maybe trail my Miata.

Since they covered the first part, I'll tackle this tidbit. You probably can tow a smaller tent camper, like the ones motorcycles tow. On anything other than flat land, even that may be taxing the limits.

The weight of an empty car trailer big enough to put a Miata on would probably be more than you want to pull, and putting a car on it is completely out of the question. I've seen it done with a dolly, but I don't know that I would want to do that either with a stock unit.

Dan

it should, if the original engine, be EA81 with Hydro lifters, a step up from the non-hydros of earlier years. Yours is better, no valve adjustments every 15k miles. Look for a silver sticker on the sides of valve covers stating this. 85-87 Brats had 74hp vs the 73hp of 84 and older due to valve upgrades.

brent

Actually 83+ got the bigger valve heads regardless of solid or hydro lifters.

• 2 weeks later...
I would not want to pull my empty 1200lb utility/hauler with my car, much less with something on it. Now the -500lb tiny teardrop camper I am building one day, totally

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand the towing and all. Too bad. I'd like to have both the BRAT and the Miata on some vacation events at each coast some time. Oh well.

As for the towing limitations, are everyone's recommendation against it based on pulling power?, or stopping power or both. For the full set-up, I'd figured that I'd Weber up the motor, add Subi disks to the rear, AND make sure that the trailer has brakes. Maybe I didn't make that clear: I wasn't expecting to stop the whole thing with the BRAT's brakes.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand the towing and all. Too bad. I'd like to have both the BRAT and the Miata on some vacation events at each coast some time. Oh well.

As for the towing limitations, are everyone's recommendation against it based on pulling power?, or stopping power or both. For the full set-up, I'd figured that I'd Weber up the motor, add Subi disks to the rear, AND make sure that the trailer has brakes. Maybe I didn't make that clear: I wasn't expecting to stop the whole thing with the BRAT's brakes.

The problem is multi-layered I believe. The towing weight, the tow vehicle weight and the braking ratio. I have towed with a Hatchback before. It was an experience that will not be forgotten. No injury or damage but had it been any further than a mile or so it could have been disasterous. With a properly equipped trailer that has trailer brakes to assist in stopping I think you could safely tow 500lbs. Any more than that and you are putting yourself and everyone around you on the road at risk.

Anything bigger than a tent trailer will require trailer brakes as previous posters have said.

Just to put it out there, I have towed many different cars home with my brat, including a 3900lb cressida, 2 rx-7s (2500lb), countless subarus (pig heavy legacys included), and it does an admirable job every time. It will tow an rx-7 at 55mph all day long :)

Isaac

Anything bigger than a tent trailer will require trailer brakes as previous posters have said.

Just to put it out there, I have towed many different cars home with my brat, including a 3900lb cressida, 2 rx-7s (2500lb), countless subarus (pig heavy legacys included), and it does an admirable job every time. It will tow an rx-7 at 55mph all day long :)

Isaac

Flat tow with towbar or strap/chain?

Dont know if this had trailer brakes or not, I never talked to the guy :rolleyes:

3f54618b.jpg

About 4-5yrs ago I used my 86 T-Wagon to move. I hauled all kinds of stuff in a 4x8 trailer, plus the back of the wagon. Only went about 4mi each way, but never had a problem (no pics).

Really glad you are on that side of the mountains!

Me too, it means i get to avoid the pricks on your side :)

On a side note, having a competent driver in the car being towed (if using a tow strap) makes it quite pleasant. Towing anything with a chain is a horrible idea. Towing with a tow bar behind the brat is quite nice, and easily done.

Isaac

Me too, it means i get to avoid the pricks on your side :)

On a side note, having a competent driver in the car being towed (if using a tow strap) makes it quite pleasant. Towing anything with a chain is a horrible idea. Towing with a tow bar behind the brat is quite nice, and easily done.

Isaac

Good call. Never met a prick from the east side... :lol:

A True about towing with a good driver. A properly run chain is quite safer though. You already know that it is important to check the bolts in your towbar. :rolleyes:

It taught me to never trust anyone else on safety items, and double check everything yourself. A lesson I recommend everyone adopt :)

Isaac

Absolutely, I never let people help me strap down the trailer. When they ask me why they can't do it I simply ask them if they plan to pay for any damage that may incur if something falls off. They look at me and say "well, no", and say then I will strap it myself. lol

Ken

Yo, i saw you had found us on the dirty impreza board!

As far as towing with a brat, I have towed my 88 DL wagon with a tow bar from madison to milwaukee. I have also towed an 87 rx from fort wayne indiana to milwaukee(thru chicago) and an 86 3door from milwaukee to sidney, OH with an 88 gl sedan (2wd at to 4wdmt conversion) on a tow dolly at 60-65 mph across interstate highway, although you will find yourself in and out of 4th gear for the hills. The brat should hold down just fine, but the gear spacing is much different with a 4spd 4wd, and you still may have to downshift now and again to hold a hold down at 45-50 mph (but enough to keep up on an interstate highway), while 4th would carry 60 mph on flat road. The gearing will be good enough to get going and drive, 5th gear can hod down 60 mph, and if you can get above 60 mph, the engine power curve will hold down 65 easier than 60 (ea82 engine, 5spd mt). I did use lo- range to get rolling in stop and go chicago rush hour, mainly because there was slack in my tow bar setup, to not jerk as much stopping and going.

I have also towed an empty u-haul auto transport with my sedan for the sake of returning the equipment, which weighs 2000 lbs by itself

If you are towing locally, you can be alright with the right amount of experience, knowing how to tow trailers, handle sway, anticipate braking, etc.

Even as i was towing, having a handle on my rig, i did experience brake lockup, and my car in tow would push me around a little bit while making turns, having to throttle up to maintain control.

Aside from towing experience, the UNSAFE aspect of towing would be that the load in tow is likely heavier than the brat doing the towing, and the brat is much lighter than a gl wagon, and a little lighter than a GL sedan.

Your limiting factor will be that the vehicle weighs under 2100 lbs, and any available hitch will be rated for 1000 to 1500 lbs. The rest is discretion and experience whether or not the vehicle is viable for towing.

In my opinion, a miata on a tow bar would be ok if you are well experienced in towing, and you know the area/roads/laws where you will be towing to and from. Its the kind of thing that the rig will hold together to tow, but in any accident or crash, the hitch could just rip out of the brat if you cannot find a heavier receiver unit.

Edited by MilesFox