Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ethanol Free Gas!

Somebody sticky this. I found an ethanol-free gas station near me and filled up on it. Within 20 miles... there's where all that damn power went!!! Man this thing's running like it did when I bought it 50,000 miles ago!!! I'm seriously considering stocking up on regular gas and storing it in a tank...

I wanted to add, its possible new cars will not have mpg affects with using either types of fuels. ECU's can learn and adjust injection rates etc based on how sensors detect things. The older the car (no ECU's, or lesser ability on older ECU's to adjust) the more mpg could be affected. For new car owners, they probably like the cheaper cost and do not see a drop in power, mpg rates. Its people like the ones on this board who rely on cheap old reliable Subarus and we do sometimes notice worse fuel mileage with ethanol enriched formulas.

I found power & cooler egt's using clean gas from the Washougal Mercantile Store & its only the first tank :banana: but need to finish tuning good thinking bring up the Ethanol Free Gas thank you for looking out for the rest of us

Right on!:grin:

I'm new here, but not to forums. If we all take the time to share our tips and techniques, we'll all have better rigs. My attitude is TEAM SUBARU!

I wanted to add, its possible new cars will not have mpg affects with using either types of fuels. ECU's can learn and adjust injection rates etc based on how sensors detect things. The older the car (no ECU's, or lesser ability on older ECU's to adjust) the more mpg could be affected. For new car owners, they probably like the cheaper cost and do not see a drop in power, mpg rates. Its people like the ones on this board who rely on cheap old reliable Subarus and we do sometimes notice worse fuel mileage with ethanol enriched formulas.

Very true. The reason my fuel injection system on my Jeep runs better with ethanol free, is because the ECU is programed with set values to base the input from the sensors. Those baseline numbers for the sensors are for real gas, not E10. Most cars 2000 yr.+ systems adapt on the fly, but can have "learning curves"...basicly when you change something in the system, it detects it, and learns the best way to drive with the new values/input. During their learning time, they might run rough/idle up and down a little etc., but have it figured out in 45mins max.

• 2 months later...

Iowa is first in the primaries.

This is their golden goose.

I'd prefer to think logic will prevail, but it never has with Ethanol.

The folks in office will buy Iowa's votes again. And not only will we continue to directly pickup the tab. But they are trying to force us into buying new cars that they have determined all the specifications on. And this crap keeps ruining small engines, and the older the car the worse it is. Take it from a fella with 7 antique cars.

So we get worse mileage and it hurts our cars. Politicians see us as being non-compliant to their tree hugger agenda so they keep forcing us that way. Ethanol ironically hurts the environment, distorts world food availibility and price yet then continue to push it.

But Iowa votes first!!

• 5 months later...
So I've moved and now I'm a mere 15 miles from real gas. Would it upset the ecosystem to put real gas in my GL and remind it of its childhood?

The ecosystem and your GL will thank you.. If you approach ethanol gas from an environmental, social, performance and cost per mile point of view, its bad stuff. The only point of view that likes ethanol is political. You'll pay a little more for ethanol free gas, but the increase in MPG's pays for the difference and then a little more usually.

Edited by El Presidente

There was an article linked on Yahoo this weekend about some EU folks realizing what effect (distortion) the "renewable fuels are having on food supply - especially for the hungry folks in 3rd world countries.

If I have time I may look for it.

But yes folks, it's ALL Politics. No benefit - actually harm.

our 07 Eclipse seems to get better MPGs on E10.

but, my subarus are suffering the fuel injection just doesn't seem smart enough to use it properly.

there is one pure gas store in my area. but it's shady... and the staff is rude

and I am not sure I trust them.

:(

We run Star Brite's StarTron in our boats to keep them happy with the Ethanol blended gas. Has worked wonderful for the marine applications and our marine mechanic is really happy with it.

They have it for the autos too. Star Brite makes some quality stuff. Careful as it comes in different strengths. Sometimes it looks like you are getting a great deal on a large bottle but it treats less gallons of fuel per oz.

http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1665&ProductCat=Automotive&ProductSCat=Gas%20%26%20Diesel%20Additives%20%28Auto%29&ProductSSCat=

KB

Edited by kybishop

Big fan of Starbright myself. Keeps the 4 wheelers and yard gear from crapping up. I use it in all our 2 & 4 stroke little engines. We have a brand new etenol plant here in the next town. What a joke. The place has never been turned on. Soon after being finished they had a minor explosion, fixed it and still haven't lit it up. It was built knowing up front that there was no infrastructure in place to get grain to it in quantities enough to run. Promised a lot of people from the midwest to come build and run it that they would have jobs for years. Well all of those poor folks are up the proverbial creek. It's for sale by the way. The reason for building it is directly tied to Uncle sugar subsidies. It's actually employing quite a few people for the next couple of years to come in daily and watch the place not run. Gotta milk all the sugar money right? I aint making this up. Anyone wants to do a little research message me and I can point you in the right direction. There is still a big pile of grain covered up at the port that was trucked in but never used. Looked like a huge hill or small mountain. All covered in tarps with what looks like air dryers or something running under the tarps. Oh yeah the port is about 30 miles away from the plant. 2/3's or so of it has moved but jeez what a waste.

• 2 weeks later...
I encourage anybody to try it out, here a link that can help you find it in your state and area.

http://pure-gas.org/

Thanks for the tip! icon14.gif

I found three stations in my area that sell the ethanol-free gas. I went to one of them yesterday, and you would never know it when you pull up. There's a HUGE sticker on the pump that says "CONTAINS UP TO 10% ETHANOL", but then there are super tiny stickers under the buttons that select the grades, which say "10% Ethanol", "10% Ethanol", "No Ethanol". ;)

When I hit the end of this tank, I'm going to go check out the other two stations. icon14.gif