Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*UPDATE* Gonna have to drill it out.

Funny thing is i can rotate the pin. Totally mushroomed my punch, tried removing from both ends, tried both pulling and pushing this thing out. it gets to the pictured point and stops dead. whatever, i will win, Buhwahahahah!!!!!!!!

At some point, I would say grind the end off, and try using a punch to punch it back in the other direction and remove on the other end.

have you used good vice grips and a slide hammer to them?

I think maybe it was installed 180 off.

At some point, I would say grind the end off, and try using a punch to punch it back in the other direction and remove on the other end.

have you used good vice grips and a slide hammer to them?

I think maybe it was installed 180 off.

yes on the grips and hammer.

the 180 off did cross my mind but it should still come out i would think.....

I know you have to ask the obvious, it is a non tapered pin punch.

Thats why this really has me scratching my head. not the brightest bulb but i don't think i'm dumb, i can usually figure things out, and i've done this before and never ran into this prob. I'll get it.

Edited by jonas

I've done a few of these that just don't seem to line up. I swear they drill the holes off a half tooth on some. For those I grind the roll pin down a bit and only tap it in about half way. I coat them with high temp grease too.

can you turn that axle 90degrees counterclockwise, and show the pic looking down into the hole

Not atm, celebrating wifes bday. BUT a very good idea. i was using my super brite flashlight to look down the hole but couldn't see anything. now i'm thinking a few close ups w/flash may show what my eye couldn't see.

I've done a few of these that just don't seem to line up. I swear they drill the holes off a half tooth on some. For those I grind the roll pin down a bit and only tap it in about half way. I coat them with high temp grease too.

yeah, i'm wondering if it's off just a bit causing my punch hang up.

What size punch are you using. If it's too skinnym it will go inside thepin and jam it up. try to feel for an edge and hit on that

3/16. tried one smaller but it seemed to be splaying the pin with out moving it. I'm hoping i've just managed to mushroom the ends just enough to jam it up. gonna try to grind the ends narrower. But i can rotate so ...... Would it make a diff that it's a 5 sp swap on a '85 brat?

then you need to pull off axle and rotate 180......

yes it is possible to still drive the pin in, but if you pull off axle and rotate 180 it will line up perfect.

ouch! i know how you feel man. i did the same stupid mistake. the axle wouldn't quit get on so i got the biggest sledge hammer i could find and hammered the spindle onto the axle and discovered my mistake and just F*** it and you can't drill em out. so i just put it back together and called it good. that sucker aint comin out if i want a a new axle i will have to get a new spindle

YAY, GOT IT OUT! Looks like it is off a tooth. Looking down the hole i can see an edge, bet my punch was getting hung up on it. You guys got me thinking about that so instead of sending the punch right down the middle, on advice from Miles, i tried hugging the sides. That pin is not very pretty looking. Figure that's why i could rotate it in the shaft but not pull it out, the end was mushroomed.

It isnt off a tooth. If it is close, but not quite 100%, then it is 180-out.

been there, done that. And damn glad I tried putting the pins in before getting the trans back in and everything bolted back together.

I put my 3/16 pin punch in the hole when I reinstall an axle before I tap in the pin.If the pin punch wont easily go in all the way then its off by a tooth or 180* off.

Now I only have trouble with pins in cars in junkyard with the original axles..