Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Project/Great Find

Picked this up last weekend with 2 extra engines, 2 tubs of parts, a 2nd complete exhaust system, a second set of wheels with snows tires all loaded in the back with a topper on it.

Rust is limited to bottom of doors, behind rear wheels and the wheel wells in the bed (no rust through there).

It had been sitting in a car port (luckily) since 2007 because the owner couldn't figure out how to get it started... I managed to get it started after 30 mins of tweaking:).

Interior is extremely clean (other then a tear in the driver seat)

Spent about 2 hours cleaning it... other then that I have done nothing else.

It is missing the driver side window... believe it or not... I walked into the local subie dealership and located the last one in the US... it will be here by Friday.

A few dents here and there... having a professional dent puller take them out ($150.00) then a coat of wax and I think I'm going to play with it a little

Got it all for $400.00. From what I have read, sounds like a good find.

More (detailed) pics when I get back in town and get the dents pulled.

IMG_0128.jpg

Edited by tundrabrat

+1 for $400....

Thats an incredible deal.

What're your plans for it?

Dents pulled, detailed and registered when I get back from my vacation... That's when I'll post more pics.

Over the summer I plan to replace the shocks, fix the rust before Fall. I'm going to show my son how to rebuild an engine as we rebuild the two extra engines, and sell them to fund the Brat.

Thinking about my options... Lift, engine upgrade etc. Just haven't made the call yet.

Dents pulled, detailed and registered when I get back from my vacation... That's when I'll post more pics.

Over the summer I plan to replace the shocks, fix the rust before Fall. I'm going to show my son how to rebuild an engine as we rebuild the two extra engines, and sell them to fund the Brat.

Thinking about my options... Lift, engine upgrade etc. Just haven't made the call yet.

Sounds like a great plan :) cant wait to see more pics.... need... more pics... MOAR! :slobber::grin:

How old is your son? Seems like learning to rebuild an engine would be a great learning experience!

Sounds like a great plan :) cant wait to see more pics.... need... more pics... MOAR! :slobber::grin:

How old is your son? Seems like learning to rebuild an engine would be a great learning experience!

He's 12. But he's been watching me build engines for the last few years and I figured side x side with no deadline is a great way for him to learn.

Wow what beauty and thats cool your teaching your son how to work on cars also. Far to many kids dont know how to work on their own rigs, and when hes older and has a shop do any work he will know if they are trying to rip him off! Good luck on the project shes worth it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks... My plans have changed a little since I first got it. I have a 4runner so I have decided not to make the Brat another trail vehicle.

Since the Brat is a lightweight at 2245lbs, after I get the body taken care of this winter, I am thinking of dropping in a WRX or STI driveline and tight suspension and turning it into an auto cross car.

It's a big job I know but I love projects and I figure I can enjoy the Brat while I collect all the needed parts (whether it take 2 months or 2 years).

Love the targa top brumbys!

We never got them in black down here - biege, red/maroon, silver/blue or white I think is the whole colour range...

Look after that little ute, they're very hard to find in good nic over here!

Cheers

Bennie

Love the targa top brumbys!

We never got them in black down here - biege, red/maroon, silver/blue or white I think is the whole colour range...

Look after that little ute, they're very hard to find in good nic over here!

Cheers

Bennie

It's actually a dark blue (factory paint) I really like the color. It has factory painted pin strips too.

• 1 month later...

Took my youngest on a run to Homer, Ak in the BRAT (about 500 miles) for his first football game this weekend. Had a great time with my son... and the BRAT ran great.

2011-08-13185300.jpg

Paying our repects...

2011-08-13180532.jpg

A little 4 wheeling in Deep Creek

2011-08-13222440.jpg

Quick, find the BRAT

2011-08-13170319.jpg

His first drive... yes, he's hooked.

2011-08-13150343.jpg

Fishing at Summit Lake

WOW! It looks great. What a good find, too. I second the bumper. What did you use on it? Also, how did you get the wheels looking so great?

Sand blasted, polished the center caps and beauty rings and then hit them with rustoleuom "metallic black" (it's actually dark gun metal) paint.