Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Back on the road!

Finally got the drive-shaft for the 5spd Swapped 86 Hatch, and of course that pesky little thing called registration :rolleyes:

Runs great, if not a little bit loud with the lack of a muffler.

I've got a lift kit sitting in the back seat, and a set of Pugs that need some tires and I'll be ready to go off-roading again.

The plan is to run a Franken-Engine, A little birdy told me that the 2.2 con-rods keep the compression a little bit more pre-detonation friendly. My hope is to run Propane/CNG, so the extra compression won't be a problem. :grin: Couple of cams and it should rip.

Still need a 2.5 and a 2.2 as well as the harness and a whole bunch of other stuff, not the least of which, a jerb, but first things first.

Finally got the drive-shaft for the 5spd Swapped 86 Hatch, and of course that pesky little thing called registration :rolleyes:

Runs great, if not a little bit loud with the lack of a muffler.

I've got a lift kit sitting in the back seat, and a set of Pugs that need some tires and I'll be ready to go off-roading again.

The plan is to run a Franken-Engine, A little birdy told me that the 2.2 con-rods keep the compression a little bit more pre-detonation friendly. My hope is to run Propane/CNG, so the extra compression won't be a problem. :grin: Couple of cams and it should rip.

Still need a 2.5 and a 2.2 as well as the harness and a whole bunch of other stuff, not the least of which, a jerb, but first things first.

noah I got a 2.5 complete car that smokes and a2.2 PM me if interwested

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome - I've just been reading up on the frankenmotor myself, I hope to one day see the need to do it, I've certainly got the urge!

With the harness have you thought about running an electronic dizzy to eliminate the need for an ECU that would most likely only be there for spark anyway? Check out TOONGA's Brumby/brat that's running a weber fed EJ22 with dizzy over in Perth, WA, Australia ;)

I'll be watching your build with interest!

Cheers

Bennie

The advantage of a coilpack and computer is that it's substantially more resistant to water intrusion, an afternoon with a bottle of de-oxit and a tub of di-electric grease and the thing could almost run underwater.

That and I'd rather not bodge together a disty on a car that could easily run with a standard coil pack just as easily.

I've got to get the engine, then have a nice chat with Cap_R about Propane and propane accessories.

Re-drill the flywheel and get a SJR adapter.

Parse down the 2.5 harness to run ignition in conjunction with the Propane.

Decide if that's really what I want to do right now, or 2.5/2.2 the 94 Legacy instead.

And of course, #1, Numero Uno, Find a Fricken Job

the only reason people put distributors on them is because they are afraid of a little wireing and afraid of an electronic system they don't understand.

GD

Hey! I resemble that remark:grin:. It isn't for a lack of trying just not enough experience/understanding. Being able to read a schematic would be hugely beneficial

• 2 weeks later...

So, while I'm thinking about it, is the Leggo AWD 5 speed the same length as the EA-82 Dual range?

I'm just thinking that if I do end up with a FrankenEngine I just might want the addition of umm, whats the word I'm looking for, oh yeah, Traction. :grin:

So, while I'm thinking about it, is the Leggo AWD 5 speed the same length as the EA-82 Dual range?

I'm just thinking that if I do end up with a FrankenEngine I just might want the addition of umm, whats the word I'm looking for, oh yeah, Traction. :grin:

Renob123 and GD put a JDM 5 Speed in the Frankenmotor brat and made it AWD for that exact reason... Id get in touch with one of them

I believe the ej is approx 2" longer than the ea d/r. Does your '86 hatch use the same driveline layout as the ea82's? I have both transmissions if measurments would help, and also a shortened front drive line for an ej 5 speed in an ea.

Edited by T'subaru