Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to lay down in back of wagon once carpet is gone?

I really wanted to put plywood down, like thin plywood with the compartments cut out and hinged so they could open to leave it flat. (of course have it fit "custom" so that it looked like it belonged and then recarpet) *May still do this to my current car*

I had a buddy that wrecked his 89 GL wagon (was rear ended by a dump truck) He had sound system stuff back there like youd see on MTV's Pimp My Ride. He also had a 91 Loyale that has one of the sickest gun set-ups in the rear that he uses for hunting.

Ive tried to get him on the forum but when his Subaru dies, he just junks it :(

I will try to get some photos of his set up but I doubt it, its a hunting rig and is in storage in WA the rest of the year (6 inch lift, 29s, redrilled 6 lugs, no exhaust, no tags, no windows etc)

Edited by 92_rugby_subie
read in the "**"s

What about a Thick cover of Anti-Gravel Paint?

http://www.emulzer.com.tr/emulzer/urunler.php?cat=2&lang=eng&id=62

That not only will help as an Anti-Rust but also will help to isolates noises. Here in my Country is Widely used on Car's interiors. I Have used it on my Wagons and my Wife's Kia.

Kind Regards.

You could go to a carpeting store and buy some of their rug padding (the stuff that goes under carpeting). It comes on great bg rolls. Just have enough yards cut off a roll so you don't have to do anything but trim away the overage. There are different types of padding that they stock.

Also, you could buy an inexpensive carpet remnant at the store too or go to Lowe's or Home Depot and have them cut you off enough of their outdoor carpeting (it's sold by the yard or the foot, and has waterproof backing) that people use to cover their porches and steps. It's usually a berber or very flat weave. And not the fake grass stuff.

I am thinking about astroturf and that stall mat sounds interesting also..

Rob

So you just stick the laminate down on the current bed or ....??

Thats what the owner of that Legacy GT wagon told me.

I'm sure it would be different in yours, so maybe a backing piece might be needed. Is this for a EA82 wagon or Legacy?

Well, back to the drawing board as the subie has a blown head gasket:( Not only that but apparently the guy i bought from knew it as the car also has a brand new thermostat. So time to check out the pick-in-pull place to see what they will give me or if nothing else the scrap yard so we can recoup some of $ lost....

Head gaskets aren't too bad on this car. You can get the heads done at a decent machine shop, and any you get at a junkyard will probably have overheated at least once (you don't know at the junkyard).

As for the OP, I plan to spray bed liner on mine--tape/paper the sidewalls and windows, then bed liner on the bed. Just have to get the crap out of the back and the motivation to do it on the same day. Oh, and don't forget whatever you do to keep the fuel gauge sender accessible. You want to reach that if anything ever happens to it, and pulling up the bed liner is not at the top of my honey-do list.

That 'Hydro Turf' stuff looks cool! So does the hardwood flooring. It makes me want cork....:banana: I got a full plywood back in my ea81 I use for work. it folds out to make a bed when the seats are forward. I have a piece of that out-door carpet for the back I have never installed because I figure I would just kill it. I put coroplast, the political sign plastic, down under the wood and it cut a bit of noise out. I have storage and speakers built in where the rear seats were. 3/8" for the deck and 3/4" for the built up boxes, the natural angles on the rear make a smooth transition, surprisingly. I have some design issues, like stops for the folding sections and what not, no rear seat. I keep thinking of 2" memory foam removable panels for camping and road trips....

If I could find a set of front seats that fold up flat, or a bench seat, I think it would be way cool to have a wagon that turns into a huge bed. Pad the sides and upholstery the whole thing white in a white wagon. Just for the ultimate ski or winter sport vehicle.:rolleyes: