Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If it's not Subaru, then what is it?

With my 88 DL wagon having a timing belt disintegrate with the family aboard, my trusty Loyale humped us home at 23 MPH. That's some awfully great news in my opinion!

My family mechanic said that was all she wrote with her. Even though I know that the EA82 is a non-interference engine, my wife believed him over me. Hey-- she still shares the bed with me, so I'm letting it slide.

Subaru of America has dropped any acknowledgement of the pre-90's Subarus as I couldn't join any of their "family" clubs on the website. Trying to get parts has been a 3 month ordeal. (WAH!)

This past Thursday morning, Subaru of America customer service was again "helping me" find the right Crankshaft Seal.

Having given the last 8 of the VIN, and being asked to hold while the parts people were summoned to my aid my cheeks began to ache from the silly smile and anticipation that having gotten 3 WRONG ones, it would be easy to get the RIGHT one. As it was only the first of the wrong numbers was offered up. In my effort to be useful, I offered my engine tag number: EA83AA3AC, one of millions I am sure to have been made from 1985 to 1994. Would you believe the representative informed me that the engine WAS NOT A SUBARU ENGINE? I began to laugh until my side ached a bit.

The lovely lady that she is informed me that there was "NO SUCH THING AS AN ALPHA-NUMERIC ENGINE". That's rich! I further asked for my own amusement what she figured it might be that would have cast aluminum valve covers fit so perfectly and wear all of the badged Subaru bits without any modification? "Sir, it must be an after-market engine. I can tell you fer certain that the engine in your car is NOT a Subaru engine!"

Oh, good people of Subaru, PLEASE help out your staff with a few trivial bits of information....

Though there is a 4 series and a 5 series engine (one with OHV and the other with OHC and having 55mm and 59mm crankshaft seals respectively as far as I understand) there is apparently NO INFORMATION in the SOA computers.

Having laughed myself sweaty with the irony, I found through Google a distributor of NOA oil seals who'd sell me the part for $6.83. "How many of those do you want, sir?" my answer of just one got me the minimum order is $50 statement and was off again.

Would you believe that it took NAPA 5 minutes to cross-reference this seal? I've been installing nothing but the OEM SUBARU parts since welcoming Sasha Car into the family. This wild goose chase has me questioning my desire to only use Subaru parts and work with Subaru dealerships and Subaru of America. Can you blame me? Three months of chasing and foolishness versus five minutes at NAPA. C'mon.

BIG QUESTION:

Where do I get my hands on a parts list for MY CAR?

Just buy the parts aftermarket. The point of these cars is being cheap to run. Waiting weeks and paying inflated prices at a dealership parts dept defeats that.

Make sure you follow the proper procedure for lining up the belts. If you line both cam sprockets up at the same time, it won't run. You have to turn the crank before lining the other one up.

I loved my 88 dl... fun wagons....

Don't give up.. there are two main sites to gather Subie parts... sorry can't remember web address... visit the "Search" site above or maybe someone will fill in the blanks.. see!, look below, Turbone has the info you need. You will love this site...

Welcome, you found the right place...

Suggestion is you need to learn to bond with your wagon, that is the only way to make these older cars financial viable unless you have money to toss... explain to your wife you need to "feel the Love" and that the roo is just a little sick right now... it will run again...

Edited by Indrid cold

parts for this car are very easy to find so I'm not sure what the problem is, but we can help make this very simple for you.

A quick google search gives this part number:

Crankshaft seal part number: 806738070

along with other part numbers on this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41172

It's available at *any* subaru dealer. you said you're calling SOA - i would not talk to regional or SOA rep's if that's what you mean, they aren't equipped to deal with parts - just go to a dealer. Subaru definitely has all the maintenance parts you need and many of us on here have been buying hundreds of parts for decades for this engine/vehicle.

any dealer will have that part. or type that part number into google and you have thousands of options to buy it from.

go to: https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

and type in that part number and they have it for $5.03

for timing belts i recommend ebay kits - very reasonable prices and all new pulleys/tensioners for the timing belts.

If you are having a hard time finding the parts just let me know and I can get them for you real fast and then ship them to you priority. I can usually get the parts the same day that I order them and then get them in the mail to you the next day. PM me if you want to talk.

Mike

Its all in where you live... I have REALLY good dealer afew miles away that gives me wholesale on parts AND knows their old scool stuff too :banana:

The Joys of the Northwest where 3 out of 10 cars are a Subaru

Me too, every third car in Moscow, Idaho is a Suub. Ambassador Auto has real parts guys that like a challenge.