Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Wive's Tale??

I was talking with a guy and he said that he had a particularly rare brat that he sold a while back. (He may have been talking out his butt, but that is why I'm seeing if you guys know anything about it. :D )

It was a 1987 ea82t Brat. He said that there were only a thousand or so made. Did any late brats come with ea82's??

Or was this guy trying to sound wise? :drunk:

Yes, I meant ea82 and 1987. :lol:

No typos ;)

Yea, I figured as much. But I wasn't gonna get into a huge argument with the dude... just smiled and nodded. :popcorn:

I was thinking the whole time *No way, FHI never put a ea82 series engine in a ea81 series body...*

2 things to consider,

the 85 and up brats are the same body and styling as the 83-84 with plastic bumper and 4 headlights.

the ea81t looks a lot like an ea82t, being it has a similar style steering pump, and the battery is on the opposite side, same as an ea82. The 4wd plenum and all that looks very much like an ea82.

I could see where this gut may have seen this car and just though t it was an 87 by how it looks, and that the turbo engine was an ea82, by how it looks.

I would not guess the guy was full of bs, but didn't know the terms to describe what he saw.

I could see where this gut may have seen this car and just though t it was an 87 by how it looks, and that the turbo engine was an ea82, by how it looks.

I would not guess the guy was full of bs, but didn't know the terms to describe what he saw.

The thing is, he said that it was his first car... that he saved up for it for two years. He owned it and worked on it for a fair number of years after that. Idk about you guys, but when I own a car and am passionate about it, I know every gosh darned nook and crany of the car. What engine it has, tranny, etc...

Since you guys say the car doesn't exist, from the factory at least, just proves this guy's bluff. Its whatever, I was just small talking with him. His absurd claim just peaked my interest. :D

As far as I Know, No Brat came from Factory with the EA82 engine...

However, some people here in USMB and in Ausubaru have done that conversion, maybe because their Stock EA81 engines were bad and the EA82 is almost a Direct fit without many complications.

White words are web links.

Kind Regards.

Yes, an ea82 will fit down in an ea81 body. I have fitted 2 into 2 brats, one into my own ea81 wagon, and once again inanother wagon that was a 'replica' of the first.

I have also fit an ea81 into an 88 dl sedan.

The ea81t electrical schematin is near identical to the 85-86 ea82t, and it is possible to swap an ea82t engine in plae of an ea81t and it *should* run on the ea81 ecu if you can get the plugs to match on the intakes. The crossmember in ea81t one will clear the pipe of the ea82

And also, an ea82 turbo can be retrofitted on an ea81t engine

I believe your buddy had a real ea81t, but for some reason thoughti t was an ea82, being that he was familiar with ea82's, but did not know of the ea81t. And it could have been where his carwas titled as a wrong year, or he just forgot the year after so long.

I keep referring to my 85 wagon as an 86, forgetting about the 85's vs the rest of the years

Or his mind slipped up and just put a 2 where the 1 belongs. Oh well, life goes on. That happens with the mind sometimes... misplaced memory. He had a turbo brat with an EA81t.

This kind of thing happens more the older you get. A few months ago I was telling a lady with a Baja how she should replace her EGR valve, it's simple and cheap and can help the car run better. Yeah, it wasn't until a few days later that I realized I meant to say the PCV valve. :banghead: