Ultimate Subaru Message Board

31 inch tires

subaruglkid

are 31 inch tires too much for my stock 1984 subaru gl running gear? i was also thinking of making my four lug into 6 lug any ideas?

I have an idea.... SEARCH.... and look at FAQ's......:rolleyes:

Not tryin to be a douche but all that is possible, and been done, and documented..... You're not going down any roads for the first time there.....

Spencer

Try it and see.

Or - learn how to search.

That's what all of us did! If you want to learn from other's then you need to first play our game and do as we ask.

You may think that myself and the rest of the guys here are d-bags but we are actually pretty cool. But we aren't going to waste time answering silly questions that are answered in the FAQ stickies. An hour is nothing - I've researched things on here and elsewhere for DAYS and WEEKS before posting a question.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

i have searched for an hour now and not found a thing so i was just lookin for a wuick answer if itll strip my diff or not before i slap em on

I just spent about 45 seconds of searching and i found what you need. Heres a hint for you. Try looking in the stickes in offroad. Oh and its not hurry up and wait. Its try to find the info...

Hope you find what you need.

are 31 inch tires too much for my stock 1984 subaru gl running gear? i was also thinking of making my four lug into 6 lug any ideas?

axles are a little weak, its been done but will lack low gears, a built engine with low torque would help , will no low gaers you will need more lowend power , I run a EJ22 with delta Low Torque cams on my stock subbie witha 6" lift run 30" tire ( wore out 31s) works well just breaks stubs with a welded rear diff, what are your plans?

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
detail

One of the things your going to find on here with these guys and the australia guys is that most of what can be done, has been done. Should you put 31 inch tires on your hatch, id say No. The basic reason I and most others thought to put 31 inch tires on is because its the basic offroad size tire. When for these vehicles unless heavyly modified cannot handle that type of weight. No because any slight problem your going to find very quickly. You have a machine shop and thats great, so now you can make your own lift kit. If i were you, personally since you want to go big id go size 235 with redrilled chevy wheels. Trust me, 235 with most 3 or 4 inch lifts will be plenty of tire and will still require cutting.

One of the things your going to find on here with these guys and the australia guys is that most of what can be done, has been done. Should you put 31 inch tires on your hatch, id say No. The basic reason I and most others thought to put 31 inch tires on is because its the basic offroad size tire. When for these vehicles unless heavyly modified cannot handle that type of weight. No because any slight problem your going to find very quickly. You have a machine shop and thats great, so now you can make your own lift kit. If i were you, personally since you want to go big id go size 235 with redrilled chevy wheels. Trust me, 235 with most 3 or 4 inch lifts will be plenty of tire and will still require cutting.

Totally agree. I have a 2 inch lift on mine with 235/75/15 withh. drilled hubs. I cut. The front and back of the corners in the front. I had hammer the **** out of the fender well in the back. I cut in front of the back tire all the way to weather strip and hammered it. No rub in the back but the front rubs slightly in the front as i back up at full lock. If i were to do it over id go with a 3 inch or a 225 instead of a 235. For now i dont mind it. Although id love to get a little more power, but hey you can play around with it till you are happy.

With a stock 1.8 motor, you would probably gear it too tall with those tires unless you swapped in 4.11 or 4.44 gears. 28 inch tires, something like a 235/75r15 is about as tall as you'd want to go. Any taller and you'd wanna look into an EJ swap first.

I have an 8" lift on mine and 31x10.50X15 TSL Super Swampers, I didnt cut much at all but I extended the Radius arm 1.25" and got the perfect offset Tire, I have this lift on and EA81 car though, EA81 motors are great I put them in all my wheelers but EA81 Axles are very weak like scott said, also The Trans's are apt to loose Reverse, Ive been through 3 of them in my 82 Brat. There are a ton of things to change over to get it to work right with 31's but it can be done by all means , just do your reserch and youll be able to find a lot of what should or needs to be done...............

IMG_5612.jpg

Jeff

does randys or anyone carry some better axles?

If you really have a ton of time and money at your disposal you could do what some have done and install a divorced transfer case and then mount on a set of axels. But as far as running 31s on a stock wagon you could do it but its going to lack torque and is arguably less offroad capable than one with smaller tires because of this. I am running 31s on my subaru dune buggy which struggles with torque anyways but being that it only weighs around 900 lbs it gets by ok.

in order to put 31's on an '84 hatch, you're gonna need a 6" lift to limit your bashing...

I had 30's on a turbo brat with a 4" lift, and even with cutting the fenders, I still had to bash the snot out of the rear of the front inner fender wells (the footwell area) and it took a lot of beating. it was basically back even with the door hinges, and the doors were a little less lined up than before...

so with out doin serious modifications could i run a 2 inch lift with 28 inch tires?

you will have to drop the whole front of the car 2" on an EA81 they cant take the 2" over stock tweak they break axles instantly, as for the rear you can just jack up the rear Torsion Bar then you can fit 27's with out cutting for the most part................

Jeff