Ultimate Subaru Message Board

value of newly purchased rx turbo

:) hi I'm new to usmb, I'm a huge love of older subaru, I've recently purchased a 1988 gl turbo rx model with 180k miles, its on cl in los angeles, ca. I have to fly from wisconsin to la to pick it up,is there anything special to lookout for, I've got a 2000 mile drive back, also nada classic says its worth between 2000 and $4800 , what is realistic for values?

Its not worth that much, It would be worth $750 to $1500 to me personally. It WILL be worth a little more in WI though since most of the old subies have rusted away.

I would NOT trust it to drive back unless you had documented proof that the car had new hoses and head gaskets.

Yup, and add in the timing belts, flushed radiator, a recent tune up, tires....and the list goes on.

If you do decide to drive it back to WI, get a list of members that live along the way, you will most likely need it.

Terrible engine.

Untouched, with good cosmetics and low mileage - maybe $2k. Worth almost as much without the engine or non-running if the cosmetics are really good. Perfect candidate for an EJ swap. The stock motor is a boat anchor and people routinely get burned buying these and not understanding what they are getting into. You are looking at around $2k to swap the engine over to an EJ and have a really decent ride with a neat retro feel to it.

$4800 is a big stretch. NADA is off their rocker. Hope you didn't pay that much.

GD

I wouldn't dare try to make that long trip from CA, thru the rockies, and all the way to WI, UNLESS it has proven documentation supporting a recent headgasket, radiator, new coolant hoses, and thermostat, and new water pump. That is a list of neccessary all things if one is not proven done, no way I would even attempt That thing overheats easily as it was, so yeah look at breaking down from overheat, and possibly seizing or blowing it up. Wold been cheaper to have it shipped, 950-1000 to ship but at least it would make it here intact.

Your flight out, or train ticket, your gas coming back in it, food stops, place to stay overnight, and the risk of needing repairs that cost more than you could do it, waiting in the middle of nowhere Nevada or Nebraska for 3 days for the parts store to get you a new water pump in, etc. this is not a smart thing to do without those documents proving new items.

Apparently he's had a EA82T before - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126521

But its also apparent that he's a one hit wonder.

Meaning he will start a thread and never come back to to answer a question.

So, we will probably never know what happens when he picks this up and tries to make that 2000mi trip from LA to WI.

Apparently he's had a EA82T before - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126521

But its also apparent that he's a one hit wonder.

Meaning he will start a thread and never come back to to answer a question.

So, we will probably never know what happens when he picks this up and tries to make that 2000mi trip from LA to WI.

or he forgot he posted something. ive done that with a reply or two. however not on a thread ive started

Yikes! A 4 door no less. That's not worth beans. Certainly not what they are asking. $800 tops.

The valuable (relatively speaking) RX's are the 87 to 89 three door coupes. That's just a sedan with a flapper MAF turbo engine that's going to leave you stranded half-way home. No cool body style, no AWD. Just a big pile of poo.

Bad. Deal.

GD

88 wouldn't be a flapper maf.

and it looks to be 4wd to me. did I miss something?

I think it looks pretty good.

but yeah the car I risked a long drive on was from a forum member who had been driving it around and tinkering on it.

I LOVE those spoilers.

Rob, I would probably buy this. if it was a state over. say Georgia or Tennesee. some of us can't be picky in the places we live.

Edited by zukiru

If you bring that car back, i know someone who wil buy it. I have a complete motor and wiring harness for this car, as well as some other rare bits.

If the car runs and drives, you will make it back. As long as you have enough sense to check the fluids and watch the temp gauge.

I am in milwaukee, so if you get this car, i hope to see you turn up at local subaru functions.

The silver car pictured is an 86 gl turbo. it could be a gl-10 considering the wheels. FWD, perhaps, and 86 offered the mpfi as a fwd gl-10.

If you bring this car to wisconsn, at least you have a clean body. Mechanically, i have enough spare parts to donate to this project if you can use them. good luck.

Hey, guys thanks for all the advice and wisdom, just wondering if I could get contact info of anyone willing to help me out encased we break down on the way, I'm driving out of La on 15 and taking 70 back all the way to st. Louis, then up around Chicago, and then home HOPEFULLY!! To wausau, I don't leave La untlil. Mon jan. 30 around noon, my cell number is 715-432-4524 thanks again!

Hit me up for the southern wisconsin stretch between chigago and green bay. I am in milwaukee.

I have a tow bar that would fit on the front, but i don't have a vehicle with a hitch!

If you need an emergency spare part i may have it. IF you have questions along the way as you drive, you can call me and i will coach you if you have a problem with the car.

414-793-7728

Hit me up for the southern wisconsin stretch between chigago and green bay. I am in milwaukee.

I have a tow bar that would fit on the front, but i don't have a vehicle with a hitch!

If you need an emergency spare part i may have it. IF you have questions along the way as you drive, you can call me and i will coach you if you have a problem with the car.

414-793-7728

And this is precisely why our community here is the shi**. 'nuff said.