Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a serious dilemma, need some input

ok, so here's the deal. I own a black 1988 gl 3door hatchback, lever 4WD with cruise control, power locks and windows, and a decent stereo system. My problem is that the brakes just went out (calipers and pads) and the local brake shop quoted me $900 for repairs. Is it honestly worth it to keep the car? I paid $1000 for this vehicle up front, and it is in need of a new transmission, alignment, struts, and other suspension-related repairs. I'm just not in a position where I could afford to repair my car, is there anywhere that would make a decent offer/trade that any of you know of?

to be honest I would not trust myself to do a reliable brake job, seen as I how I have never replaced pads before, let alone replace a caliper. And as for the transmission, the synchromesh is gone between 1st and second and there is no reverse in 4WD, and will barely engage in fwd. I don't have the money to put into this vehicle because the transmission isn't going to last a whole lot longer after the brakes, should I choose to do them. I would absolutely love to keep my hatchback, I love everything about the car. I just am trying to figure out what how I can keep it running while still being cost effective

every car eventualy will need brake work at some point xx miles down the road. It is not a 900 dollar job. It is about 150-275 parts only for all 4 rotors, pads etc.

It is not rocket science, it is one of the easier things to do on a car, like changing a alternator, radiator hose, battery etc.

If you do not feel comfortable tackling this job, then someone here may do so for you.

That 900 is a slap in the face of anyone.

Either do it yourself, have someone else do it for the 200- 325 range, or get a car with a warranty.

You will eventually have this on any car, and your shop obviously is taking advantage.

My second best advice is to shop around for a normal price.

And, pretty doubtful the trans need replaced, there are small plastic/nylon bushing that attach to the shifter and they wear out. parts cost is again, like 3 dollars or so, maybe up to 10 bucks. Again, it is unthread the nut from the bolt, remove the old worn bushings, install new parts, push bolt thru, attach nut. done.

If i come off as ann a#s on here, that is not what i wanted, i just feel you maybe are in over your head on a older Subaru. And for sure, the shop is taking full advantage.

Would you feel comfortable changing your oil and filter?

Edited by bheinen74

Brakes are easy, especially since you have the exactly same brake (mirror image) on the other side of the car to look at.

The only not so tough but unique to subaru thing is the parking brake on the front wheel (I think this has it) so you would just need to get the tool to make life easy for you (not a biggie).

Discs are easy, see if you get a haynes manual or maybe someone will copy the pages for you.

Suspension repairs, the priority is anything that has to do with steering or braking.

When I was 17, I got my first car, up until that point, I’d never so much as changed oil in anything, in other words, I knew nothing about cars (that’s how we all start)

I gave $250 for the car (an old Chevy) and towed it home ….that’s right, towed it, because it didn’t have an engine, my dad looked at me and said, ‘the tools are in the garage, if you can't find what you need in the garage, then you’ll have to go buy it.

If we had internet back then, I would have been making the same posts you are, “I can’t afford to have it fixed, so now what do I do?”

I’ll tell you what I did, I found some local kid that had an engine for it, he wanted 35 bucks for it, I bought the engine, got a couple of my buddies together, and one weekend we were doing an engine instillation.

The first time we put the engine in the car, we had the transmission bolted to it upside down, nothing fit right, and I had no idea why. After scratching our heads, and a little cussing, later that night, we had a running and driving Vega. (I totaled it out 3 hours after we got it running, in 33 years of driving, that last 30 seconds was the wildest ride I've ever had, but that's a whole nother story)

My advice to you, get a jack, jack that thing up, and go to work, 1 bolt holds that caliper on, and you can use a pair of pliers to screw in the piston, and I just bought a set of front brake pads for mine off ebay for 10 bucks delivered to my door (because I’m still just about as broke as I was in high school)

Now you have the internet and an awesome forum to walk you through any problem you might get yourself into.

That 900 quote you got to fix your can means nothing around here, I’ll bet if you’re willing to get a little greasy, and ask questions as you go, you can fix that car for well under 100 bucks, it wouldn't surprise me if you got it apart and found you only needed 20 to 30 bucks worth of parts to fix it.

I’m honestly not trying to be rude or inconsiderate, but I started the same way you did, and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to do a brake job on my car.

People here won’t lead you wrong, if they say it’s easy …it’s easy …go get your jack.

Edited by Stubies Subie

The brakes require turning the pistons to set them. The slide pins cna be lubed.

pads are cheap and rotors can be turned (if not out of limit)

the average backyard mechanic isn't going to know about turning the pistons if they havn't moved beyond drum brakes and spindle hubs.

there is a tool required but a pair of pliers will do. I do this work for 120 bucks when parts are supplied. 300 bucks should git'r done by an independent mechanic that will let you supply the parts.

for 1987 make sure you know what model you have listed to not get the wrong part at the counter.

Everyone starts somewhere. The big hurdle is getting the confidence to do it yourself. Just take it slow and easy. The best investment you can do is buy "how to keep your subaru alive" book. There are two editions that i know of (one for earlier subarus and one for yours). Just make sure the year range is right for your car.

As others have said...i knew nothing about working on cars when i got my first car. Ive been into cars forever though so i figured i could learn. First car was a EA81 subaru hatch that i got for free. It hadnt run in 3 years. I got it running with a new battery and an oil change but it ran like crap. 1 year later it ran great and i sold it to move on.

9 years later I'm now 26 and have done everything from brakes, suspension, full engine swap, two auto to manual trans swaps (not just on a subaru) and much much more that i cant even list. Im not trying to brag but just letting you know that everyone starts somewhere and what you do now will determine what you do later. I barely ever go to the garage for anything which saves me a bunch of money. It can be a headache at times but is worth it when friends say they spend XX for something and i say..i did it in an hour or two for cost of parts.

If you've got some tools, I agree with everybody, just jump in and start tearing it apart.

If you haven't got any tools, take 40 bucks, go to sears and get a 50 piece craftsman tool set, and THEN start tearing into it!

What have you got to lose? You've also got everybody here that's chimed in's support too if you hit a dead end.

Ya, get yourself some jackstands and get both front tires up in the air take both wheels off and then use the other side for reference on the side you are working on. Pay attention to what you're doing. Don't get excited and rush. I used to do that when I first started wrenching and all that does is lead you to mistakes that make you have to go back over things again anyway, so patience is key and pays well in the end.

Your best bet for a manual is ebay. I bought the Haynes manual for $ 5.00 new in wraper and the service manual complete set for my car for $20.00 shipped to my door. Like everyone has said you can do it yourself. I have a 87 GL 10 turbo 4x4 wagon that I keep running. Getting ready to replace the radator,new hoses, new clamps and whatever else it needs. I do not have a garage just a driveway. You never know what you can do till you try... :popcorn:

Manuals.....Is there a Half Price Books shop in Casper? Or any used book shop? The Haynes manual can be had for around $5 if they have one. How to Keep Your Subaru Alive (2nd edition) will be excellent up to 1987 models and is a slightly better manual than the Haynes. Drop me a PM with a mailing address and I would send you HTKYSA on a CD. I know someone here could even email the digital version (someone more tech savy than I).

reverse is particularly hard to get in if the clutch needs adjustment

+1 on the adjustment. also alot of shops try to do the pads, but find the calipers are "stuck" but they don't even know to twist the pistons in. they just throw a "c" clamp on them and say they are stuck and need replacement:rolleyes:. :rolleyes:

It's pretty rare to need a caliper replaced, much less both fronts.