Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Did the EA81s ever have a Factory Map Light? I should have kept my Blue EA82 Maplight.

Do they still call them "map lights" in new cars? Who the hell uses maps any more? I guess old folks probably do, so Buicks can have map lights while most other cars just have interior lights.

Volia! The 2 big ones are used to hold the Cargo bay carpet down, the Long thin one attatches the carpet to the rear seats. All Pieces were Corroded and needed to be refinished.

Ceramic Primer, Nice and thick. Valspar Gloss White.

CoverBR8-0005.jpg

CoverBR8-0004.jpg

CoverBR8-0001.jpg

CoverBR8-0003.jpg

OE should be black dude....

Looks good though :headbang:

Actually, The Piece that holds the carpet to the seat backing is Stainless? Unpainted.

The other pieces that go by the rear gate, are factory brown (Like a lot of the screws found on these cars)

Thank you for the compliment!

Cheers,

-Tom

I have found that the "Hammer Finish" spray paint is excellent as well for hiding surface flaws on pitted metal. The finish is very hard and durable and the texture is very consistent as well. The only drawback is that the color selection is very limited.

Keep up the good work Tom!

And Project thickens; Need a new tank, There are pin holes on the upper landing of it, and one of the fittings for the rubber hoses has been broke off. The only thing holding the hose to the tank, was age.

GLTank001.jpg

GLTank002.jpg

Whoopsy!

GLTank003.jpg

The drain plug came out very easy (And so did all the Mounting Bolts) This car looks worse then it is, I was shocked that all the bolts I removed came out fairly easy.

GLTank004.jpg

GLTank005.jpg

GLTank006.jpg

GLTank009.jpg

GLTank010.jpg

GLTank011.jpg

GLTank013.jpg

GLTank014.jpg

GLTank015.jpg

GLTank016.jpg

GLTank017.jpg

GLTank019.jpg

GLTank021.jpg

GLTank018.jpg

GLTank022.jpg

Nicest day we've had all winter, upper 50s and sun! I was outside until 6pm which was awesome.

GLTank025.jpg

So at this point are you going to strip out all of the rear suspension, clean the underside of the car and seal it up with POR15? And the same with your suspension components? Any leads on a new gas tank? I had to have my restored in the Imperial, cost $500 but it is guarranteed for life.

I contacted Wes, the guy parting that White GL. We'll see what he asks for the tank.

I may remove the rear suspension, I'm not 100% sure what is what under there, I don't really see any type of Torsion bars. Looks pretty similar to an EA82 trailing arm (They infact will swap)

Maybe I should swap an EA82 rear trailing arm on, with rear disc and Coilovers.

nice pics

was 65ish here all afternoon, still warm.

I have been doing my BRAT stuff, wanted to get to the point i could seal up the trans and install tomorrow.-not going to happen the input seal(s) i ordered from rock auto are not right ones. So i am waiting from rocketseals.com my correct sized seal. I had ordered 2 different part numbers/brands from rock auto hoping they would send at least 1 that was correct. I was wrong in thinking that. both the timken and the beck arnley they have listed are wrong.

Anyhow. Yours looks really really solid still up under the back.

On the broken nipple :rolleyes: on the gas tank, do you think i would suffice to just thread in your own and epoxy seal it in.......? I think that could be done for under 5 bucks, and now you are talking shipping a tank from somewhere....that to me does not sound like a cost effective way. fix what you have. for much less. heck shipping cost alone is going to be like 50-100 on a tank.

JUST FIX what you have, the car is how may years old, you cant get awesome parts for it anyway so use what you have....my 2.5 cents

They are thresholds for the back hatch. They go left and right of the hatch latch

was kind of thinking that might be where they went, thanks for clarifying. :D

kind sucks about the gas tank - hopefully you can get a decent one for it tho.

I epoxy sealed mine in my 82. I think the kit was around $80, but after two years it gave up. It's leaking again now, and that's why I parked the car. It's impossible to find a tank here. It's worth it just to get a nice rust free one.

Well, it appears the link doesn't work, but I just entered your car's info into the car-part.com search and came up with tanks as cheap as $45 and as close as TN.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Your other option would be to repair the one you have, you can always cut out the rotten areas and weld in a patch. Be extremely careful if you take this route, you must make sure that all of the gas vapors have aired out. Then epoxy seal the tank. Again, how long to you plan on owning the car and do you want the piece of mind knowing it was done right once and never again.

Edited by jboymechanic

I will check out the site and see what I find. The point is to do it right and not just patch it up, since usually when I buy a car I plan to have it for 10+ years. I could have kept the Legacy for the rest of my life as it was rust free, drop in a 5spd for less technical malfunctions and be good to go.