Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Difficult to locate items?

I need advice concerning replacement items with this generation of Subies. Which items are difficult to obtain when replacement is needed? I have heard that heater cores and front struts are not easy to find. What else? A heads up on other items would be most appreciated. Feel free to make as long a response as necessary. Thank you in advance.

Sheetmetal. Finding replacement body parts is nearly impossible unless you find someone with a stash or get lucky on ebay, etc.

On the other hand, I've had great fun butt welding 20 guage panels and fabricating things; part of the challenge of owning an old relic.

Enjoy.

Basically nearly everything can be hard to get for these models! EBay and this site are usually the best bet for things like panels, indicators, interior pieces/trim, shocks/struts...

Often a second parts car is a good option if you can find one.

The stuff that is relatively easy to get are regular maintenance items, brake pads, spark plugs, rotors and so on...

Piece of advice. If you ever come across a parts car. Whatever it may be, a wagon, sedan or brat, etc grab it. Every time I find one, Which seems to be getting more and more difficult I strip it out for any useful parts. You never know when extra parts will come along again.

I have plenty of good heater core that have been tested. I also have a ton of parts....send me your wish list. Stock up while you can.

The VW super beetle rear glass rubber works on all station wagons rear glass.

We are about to do another special order on fron glass weatherstripping.

There are a ton a NOS fiberglass front fenders available. (See sticky in the forum)

Todd

Decent 1600 engine parts. I'm giving up on the rebuild for now and am just going to buy a decent used motor. I think I'll actually save money that way. I've been driving VW buses for years and didn't realize how great parts availability was for VW until I got my gen 1 brat.

By decent I assume you meen non remanufactured garbage?

Not yet, but the VW community is riddled with crappy south east asian parts. I've been down that road. 1600 parts just seem to be non-existent. I finally found a yard with 3 complete motors. I might buy two of them just to have them.

I actually be removing my ea71 and certain other parts. The car seems to run fine, but I have other things in mind. I am building a high MPG unit with my 79 Brat. I love my Geo Metro for it's mileage, but desperately need something with a bed. I need the mileage too. So by means of a Metro 3cyl., a Samurai transmission (this will be rear wheel drive only), and a serious diet plan; this is what I shall have. I hope the purists are not excessively enraged. I love the Subaru Brat, however, 40mpg (or better) is an absolute must for my lifestyle. Why not have both? I am considering using the Metro's hvac system also, since it would adapt easily and provide much better parts availability. As far as welding thin body panels is concerned, I have cut a Suzuki Samurai and a Geo Tracker completely in half and welded them back together. One was a hot rod cab build and the other was a stretch job. I recently completed a 1/2 cab conversion on my current Samurai. If you think 20 ga. is thin, start working with Suzuki stuff!

Thanks for the replies. I will have to start "rat holing" spare parts! I know where there is a real nice wagon...

• 2 weeks later...

hey there i was just at the junkyard here in texas and well i don't know if this helps but i managed to see a mid to late 70's subaru wagon all intack with engine and carb.. i will try to get photos soon.PS minimal rust and its red... the Junkyard is FM 600 wrecking, located in abilene tx.

Edited by lilredjusty88