Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*added video* Clunk in front end when accellerating.. (i DID search, found nothing)

ok, so i did search for this already, couldnt find anything.

when i accellerate i hear a clunk sound one time and then wont hear it again until i slow to a stop, hit the gas again and it'll go again. if i take off pretty slow, it wont do it.

its not a click like a CV,

i have replaced the bushings on the radius rod and still get it. sounds a little different with the new bushing.

im pretty sure its not the upper strut bushing as i've had 2 different ones in there. and happens with or with out the lift

Could it be worn tranny mounts possibly? im not sure how 'spongy' they are when worn? they feel a bit spongy, and im sure are original from 1989 with the trans.

this is a 92 loyale.

anyone have this before? any ideas????

Edited by xbeerd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i might have accidently deleted some words there. lol..

i have tried different struts in there. (not just the upper strut busings) now. being that these struts were both either from 1992 or 1987, they could both be bad, but im doubting thats the case.

Just posted this in another thread...

I've had the same issue, so I'll give you a quick rundown.

I have a 92 Loyale, it's just front wheel drive and automatic. I had to replace the front right CV shaft because it was all mangled from where the joints join at, so I did that, and all was good. Then all the sudden some slight clicking/chattering sound started coming from that front side, so I decided maybe the CV shaft just worked a little loose from driving, and I tightened it down again.

Well, one night my girlfriend was driving it and she couldn't move all the sudden and the shaft was just free spinning in the hub. It turns out the hub was bad and had to be replaced. I guess it wasn't staying tight with the shaft and it was just worn out. The shaft and splines were still good though. What the chattering sound was, the CV shaft would loosen up, then my rotor on that side would be loose, and it was actually chattering back and forth, when I was going down the road.

So, you may pop off that tire, and see if the CV shaft is a little loose, and if that front rotor is too. If so, it could possibly be the hub going bad. It cost me $300 to get it done at a shop... which was a very good price for something that turned into a headache.

yeah as far as i can tell. i tried to shake things around a bit, i couldnt find my pry bar to try to pry it around. but yeah, seems like its due to the accelleration that whatever it is shifts. unfortunately i cant seem to find anything that will shift when the car is still, especially if i jack it up, with the lift its pretty tight. when all extended.

I had this problem once my radious rod bolts were loose.. But seeing as you have replaced the bushing i would suspect you tightened them..

Another random clunk i had(i thought it was the diff snout bushing) was exhaust clunking against the body.

Probably not helpful but thats my 0.02

Edited by AKghandi

Yep we have all experienced the dreaded clunk..

First thing i do when i hear a clunk is check EVERY bolt then i start pulling/ prying till i find something that looks odd or broken.

If that doesnt work i get creative...once i had to work that clunk till it got so bad I'd have to be deaf and blind not to find the issue. Then i repaired accordingly.

Not the best method, but when theres a gremlin sometimes you gotta get on ITS nerves till it rears its ugly little head...Plus, who here doesnt like working on their car? :D

It could be your hub going bad man. Pop that tire off and see if you can shake that rotor back and forth. If you can, and you know that CV shaft nut is tightened down as it should be, then your hub could be bad. That was my issue. The rotor was chattering back and forth because the hub couldn't keep the CV shaft nut tight.

Control arm bushings or Rear diff top mount bushing? Front Sway bar? Clunk or a pop?

Did it do it before the EJ swap? (More torque)

How are the Top hat bearings?

rear dif top mount bushing? probably not, this is definately up front.

did it before the swap,

top hat bearings i think are good, i've had the top hat original to the car as well as fox's 3door strut/tophat that he gave me. same result, i wouldnt expect them both bad.

Check your wheel bearings out yet?

that was a thought as well. i have a spare hub at my parents place, but dont want to swap it until my new tie rod ends show up as i dont think the current one will survive another beatdown. i also dont know the health of the wheel bearings in that hub.

It could be your hub going bad man. Pop that tire off and see if you can shake that rotor back and forth. If you can, and you know that CV shaft nut is tightened down as it should be, then your hub could be bad. That was my issue. The rotor was chattering back and forth because the hub couldn't keep the CV shaft nut tight.

i think we may be on to something there, i recall a slightly wobbly hub on that side a while back,

Yep we have all experienced the dreaded clunk..

First thing i do when i hear a clunk is check EVERY bolt then i start pulling/ prying till i find something that looks odd or broken.

If that doesnt work i get creative...once i had to work that clunk till it got so bad I'd have to be deaf and blind not to find the issue. Then i repaired accordingly.

Not the best method, but when theres a gremlin sometimes you gotta get on ITS nerves till it rears its ugly little head...Plus, who here doesnt like working on their car? :D

double and triple checked everything is tight, i THOUGHT at first i forgot to tighten up the 2 bolts at the front of the radius rod but unfortunately they were tight. LOL. too bad because that would have been easy. haha.

lookin like i'll have to try swappin that hub and hope the wheel bearings are good in it.

If you bring the revs up to about 5 or 6k in first, then let off the gas (engine brake), does the sound happen again?

It sounds like a lay shaft or even the trans isn't torqued down or something is shifting under load..

lay shaft?

something is definetly shifting when power is applied. i generally cant hear it when i let off the gas. havent tried revving it out over 5k and letting off the gas tho

"trans strut support brace"

would that be the trans mount where it mounts to the cross member? i'll double check all the tranny mounting bolts and such. unfortunately i am being stuck at work until about 10pm tonight. :(

Edited by xbeerd

can you get a video of clunk. I want to hear if it is like mine.

also try putting weight in the car and seeing if it changes.

i'll try for some video.

i think if i put some weight in the car at the rear, it would lessen as the weight has shifted back a bit. when my suspension was all stretched out after having the car jacked up, i thought i had solved the problem. then it settled... :/doh!

i'll try for some video.

i think if i put some weight in the car at the rear, it would lessen as the weight has shifted back a bit. when my suspension was all stretched out after having the car jacked up, i thought i had solved the problem. then it settled... :/doh!

This would pretty obviously imply that it is either your suspension components directly or something in the front end/steering that is changed when suspension is dropped out.

I'll bet an ice cold pint of lager that its the arse end of the transmision knocking down on its crossmember.:drunk: Check that rear transmision mount and the clearance.

Do you have a pitch stopper?

Cheers

Dirk.