Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Sad Story...

hey USMB its been quite a while since I have posted anything here hope everyone is doing good.

so here is my situation, about 3 years ago I had the chance of stepping up into a 2001 Audi A6 Quattro wagon so since I didn't want to sell or get rid of my trusty 85 GL wagon my dad took over it so that it could stay at home and in the family. along the way my dad had plans on restoring the car (kinda like a weekend project) Sadly though he fell ill suddenly and passed away on August 18, 2014 :( . after discussing things with my mom, my sister and I have decided to start what my dad never did. currently the car is sitting in the garage dusty because with everything that has been happening I haven't had a chance to really poke around it. for starters I am aware of an issue with it not wanting to idle. it will run (albeit rough) with my foot on the throttle but once I get my foot off the pedal it dies almost immediately. I know my dad replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter earlier this year and he bought a new pcv valve but never put it in. what else can I check? after learning how to wrench on an Audi I thought that this would be a piece of cake but this no idle issue has me stumped (how the saying goes you wrench on an Audi and you can wrench on anything). I need help because I really want to get this Suby running again cuz I know that that was my dad's dream and I want to do this little project in his memory.

thanks

1985 Subaru GL D/R 4WD Wagon 5speed manual 249,000 miles

which engine model you have to be able to help you.??

oops sorry forgot that part. its a carbureted EA82

Check the wiring harness to the idle air controller.

where is that idle air controller located?

Get a can of carburettor cleaner, assuming it's carbureted, and try that out down the throat of the carb. Condolences about your dad. Best of luck.

Thank You...

oops sorry forgot that part. its a carbureted EA82

where is that idle air controller located?

Thank You...

If yours has a carb then you don't have the idle air controller.  Pictures and even videos if necessary can help us help you. :)

Edited by MR_Loyale

crack, sorry about your loss.  very cool you have a remaining common interest!

Engine repair algorithm:

Does it have a carb?
YES: that's the issue

NO:  check fuel, spark, compression

with those three things an engine runs.

joking (somewhat) aside - it's probably the carburetor.  it'll need cleaned, rebuilt, replaced, or adjusted or two or three of those things multiple times.  LOL

Did the car change altitude when it went from you-to-dad?  Carburetors need adjustment for altitude I think?

crack, sorry about your loss.  very cool you have a remaining common interest!

Engine repair algorithm:

Does it have a carb?

YES: that's the issue

NO:  check fuel, spark, compression

with those three things an engine runs.

joking (somewhat) aside - it's probably the carburetor.  it'll need cleaned, rebuilt, replaced, or adjusted or two or three of those things multiple times.  LOL

Did the car change altitude when it went from you-to-dad?  Carburetors need adjustment for altitude I think?.

yes its carbed. the no idle issue came on suddenly. the car has been in the family since 2003 and the carburetor has NEVER been touched or given problems my dad would call the carburetor area sacred ground lol no one was to touch it unless legitly broken. while its running on throttle there is no smoke from the exhaust. I was thinking possibly loss of compression but would that be sudden or gradual? the car never changed altitude still at sea level give maybe 23 feet above :D  I still live at home with family anyway so the car has been at home. Hmm maybe suby is mad at me for stepping up to the Audi? :o

Did you check for vacuum leaks?  You can do all you want to the carb, but it won't fix a vacuum leak.  If there are no leaks, then you are probably looking at something in the carb.  My old EA82 started doing that once.  Ran fine (well, as well as it ever ran) off idle, but I had to put a coin under the accelerator pedal stop to get it home.  Started spraying around, found it had sucked half the driver's side intake manifold gasket in.  Made it run just a hair lean @ idle.  Put the new gaskets on, re-adjusted the idle screws, worked great.

Edit: Also, sorry about your dad.  Hope you can get this going!

Edited by Dj7291993

Did you check for vacuum leaks?  You can do all you want to the carb, but it won't fix a vacuum leak.  If there are no leaks, then you are probably looking at something in the carb.  My old EA82 started doing that once.  Ran fine (well, as well as it ever ran) off idle, but I had to put a coin under the accelerator pedal stop to get it home.  Started spraying around, found it had sucked half the driver's side intake manifold gasket in.  Made it run just a hair lean @ idle.  Put the new gaskets on, re-adjusted the idle screws, worked great.

Edit: Also, sorry about your dad.  Hope you can get this going!

is there a specific vacuum hose/hoses that I need to check? also what did you spray? soapy water? plain water?

To check for vacuum leaks use a flammable spray.   I always use carb cleaner in the spray can (without the 4" red nozzle tube attached).   With the car running, just spray it around the vacuum lines and intake gaskets.    When the idle rpm changes (usually goes up) then that is where your vacuum leak is.     The flammable fluid gets sucked into your intake/combustion chamber and burns - like adding more fuel just before the plugs spark.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.   My Mom passed about a year ago.   She would always say ...  "You don't NEED another Subaru".    She was right... I have seven of them.    

To check for vacuum leaks use a flammable spray.   I always use carb cleaner in the spray can (without the 4" red nozzle tube attached).   With the car running, just spray it around the vacuum lines and intake gaskets.    When the idle rpm changes (usually goes up) then that is where your vacuum leak is.     The flammable fluid gets sucked into your intake/combustion chamber and burns - like adding more fuel just before the plugs spark.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.   My Mom passed about a year ago.   She would always say ...  "You don't NEED another Subaru".    She was right... I have seven of them.    

carb cleaner I believe I have some in the back of the GL.

and thank you. yes my dad was the one that taught me the basics of car work so its thanks to him that I know what I know now. I wish I could collect Subarus like that but unfortunately where we live we are limited to enough cars per driver. if not i'd prolly be hoarding a couple of EA82 Subies, a Brat or two, and a couple of classic Audi models :D

I will definitely keep posted with this. I swear i feel like im running a shop here lol. my Audi needs new fan clutch and coolant expansion tank, my mom's Honda Odyssey needs new brakes and rotors, my sister's VW Jetta Turbo needs an oil change and my GL needs diagnostics lol. my dad taught me well. he definitely would be proud :)

I would also do the simple check of checking that the timing is correct.  Specific in my mind is making sure each cam lines up with the dot either facing up or down (one each way) while the pointer on the flywheel is at the middle of the ||| mark.

I have been having the timing lurking in the back of my mind but is it possible for it jump out of time just randomly? hmmm if so it looks like I need to borrow or buy a timing gun...

The Anti-Diesel Solenoid (ADS) could be stuck or other wise failed.

If it's stuck shut do to gummed up carb, engine won't idle.

No timing light needed to check T-Belt timing.

Pull outer cover sections, line up the three flywheel marks to the center mark, check for one cam dot up, other cam dot down.

Doesn't matter which one is which, just matters that they are opposite each other.

The Anti-Diesel Solenoid (ADS) could be stuck or other wise failed.

If it's stuck shut do to gummed up carb, engine won't idle.

No timing light needed to check T-Belt timing.

Pull outer cover sections, line up the three flywheel marks to the center mark, check for one cam dot up, other cam dot down.

Doesn't matter which one is which, just matters that they are opposite each other.

Where is the ADS located at?

ADS is a Solenoid on the side of the Carb Body with just a single wire going to it,It has a spring loaded needle valve that is opened for fuel flow through the idle circuit.

When you turn the ignition off the valve shuts off fuel to the idle circuit preventing run on or diesieling.If this becomes faulty then no fuel to the idle circuit or very little and hence poor or non existant idling occurrs.

Just look for the round metal cylinder with one useually black wire bolted on just below the float chamber gasket level.

ADS is a Solenoid on the side of the Carb Body with just a single wire going to it,It has a spring loaded needle valve that is opened for fuel flow through the idle circuit.

When you turn the ignition off the valve shuts off fuel to the idle circuit preventing run on or diesieling.If this becomes faulty then no fuel to the idle circuit or very little and hence poor or non existant idling occurrs.

Just look for the round metal cylinder with one useually black wire bolted on just below the float chamber gasket level.

is that solenoid a thing that can be separated and replaced on its own or is it something that is a one piece with the carb?