Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator over charging after radiator hose blows.

Was cruising along in my 2003 Forester when my top rad hose blow spewing coolant all over the place soaking the Alternator.   now at an idle the gauge reads normal and battery light is not lit. At higher revs gauge goes all the way up and light comes on but then drops when rpms drop.  

So what is you guys and gals opinion on this? Did it just get the internal regulator wet and shorting it out which will cure itself when dry or am i going to have to get a new alt?

I don't know in your Area, but here in Honduras, we simply go to a store like ~► This, obtain a brand new internal regulator and ball bearings, and renew fresh any alternator; which is a cheaper and easier option than sourcing another one...

Maybe this information can guide you, in case you want to renew your alternator:

~► http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/rebuilding-alternator-117340/

Kind Regards.

Be aware when voltage regulator is not working properly, that it will over charge the battery, most likely to boil the water out of the battery, and ruin said battery. Result will be that your battery will fail to start the car. I wouldn't drive too far, you need to replace the alternator. Not a bad job swapping out an alternator on a Subie.

Could it just be the belt slipping?

Light coming on doesn't necessarily mean its overcharging. Have you checked it with a voltmeter?

Worse than damaging the battery, overcharging can fry your control modules. By modules, (plural) I mean ALL of them. 

I have a Gauge and a light. Gauge goes all the way up then light comes on. Also checked with voltmeter and there is an over charge to about 18 volts. When it first happened after fixing hose the gauge stayed pegged on high with light on. Then I drove it home and let it sit for about an hour. I then went back out to start it to move it out of my way. When it started and idled normal gauge was normal and light was out but after revving to above 1500 rpms the gauge shot up and light comes on, when rpms drop it is normal.

I am not driving car now and will let sit for a few days to see if it drys up, If not I have another alt I can put on it.

+1 for probably failed regulator, maybe more damage.

If it was my only car, I'd go to my local parts house and buy a reman alternator.

If I had another car and/or alternator, I'd give it some time before buying a new one, but definitely don't drive it like that.

Went out today and battery was dead. Must of drained because of volt reg being bad. No other drains were detected.

Going to bolt alt I have on when weather clears.

If your battery has caps on the top, pull a cap or two, and look into the battery. The battery may be low on water because of the over charging. The over charging actually evaporates the water from the battery. If so, add distilled water to the battery, and you may be able to save the battery. However, it is a possibility that the battery is now ruined.