Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got Po420 code want to replace downstream 02, DEnso or OEM ?

Hi ALL !

I've got the dreaded PO420 code. CAT below threshold ..... !

I have a 2005 Legacy Wgn i, Auto. It runs just fine, gas mileage is fine !

IT IS A CALIFORNIA Emissions car !!

I want to replace the last 02 sensor, OEM part # 22690AA45C.

I can get it for $130.

I've heard that they are made by DENSO, I've found this DENSO site .

The 02's they have are much less, but ARE they really the real thing ? IS this what SUBEE uses ?

WE DENSO #'s are DEN 234-4732 or DEN 234-4446.

Or am I just hoping and this is a waste of time ????!!!

Many thanks, Ted

It can be tricky to get rid of; people try various things. I had it on my '00obw but never got rid of it. I replaced the rear, then front sensors, with the genuine part, but the code would still come back. I would get the code only on really windy days. Make sure all your heat shields are in place is something others have mentioned. Since mine would only pop infrequently (when really windy every couple months) I just reset it, and normally at inspection time it was ok because I hadn't reset it recently. One thing I've seen mentioned is a spark plug non-fouler.

For what it is worth, I replaced the front (upstream) 02 sensor with a Bosch sensor on my 99 OBW. I bought it from Advance Auto Parts on line. Listed for $78, with coupon discount, price was $54. It works just fine. Car runs great, and no check engine light coming on.

I was goining to go with rockauto. They are about one dollar cheaper each  than the other site. One goes for $46 the other $51  . And they have other stuff I need. It will be the first time I've tried rockauto, only here good things about them !

It sounds like what I already know....there are NO absolute solutions for this situation! So I'll do the cheaper thing first.....and HOPE !!

Edited by SubeeTed

RockAuto is best if you get several items from the same warehouse. And make certain the part has a US flag - sometimes parts are for European model cars.

I've had about the same amount of disappointment from RA as Amz - and very, very little over-all from either.

Advance Auto sometimes has good rebates for first-time users of their on-line site.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

As somic said rock auto can send wrong parts. Look closely at your original connector ,compare it to the picture of the new one, if the connectors  match you will be ok.  I bought one for my 2000 obw recently... no problem with fitment, even got the cel to go off... 3 weeks later its back on, same code. Thank goodness montana does not have emission testing .

sometimes you pay local taxes from Amz, never did that from RA (yet)

I've bought from both and been very satisfied. Look on-line for a 5% off code for RA.

I will say, Amazon has a dead simple return procedure that works very well, most of the time, if something is wrong with the order.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Anti Fouler ?

What would that be ?

If you mean Cataclean....YES , I did that no results !

So it seams the jury is out on who to buy from !!

RA or Amazon !!!

I knew this wouldn't be simple.......!!!

you'll need to drill these out but:

antifouler from autozone orf wm http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dorman-42009-Spark-Plug-Non-Fouler-18mm-Gasket-Seat-Pack-of-2/191881703?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=371&adid=22222222227040538595&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=99532280554&wl4=pla-234123911074&wl5=9003369&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111839980&wl11=online&wl12=191881703&wl13=&veh=sem

search google and there are some sellers that drill them out for you for a little more $

That being said: This DID NOT WORK on my 05 OB. Something about the way the computer reads info on 05+ models. Just our luck huh?!

I bought a cheap code reader for about $20 and for the past 5 years, I clear the code so as to pass inspections and away I go. Never found a leak, never found a cause. Never found that it affects performance other than disabling cruise control and the light show of blinkers in the dash cluster.

Edited by brus brother

2005's have some ECU/converter related recalls/updates - i would check and make sure you don't need to reflash your computer which they did to 2005's.

05+ i don't think the spacers will work in 2005+ due to significant changes in how the ECU and O2 data are intergrated (before 2005 it was just a trigger circuit, very simple, didn't really do anything).

where you buy doesn't matter - just pick one.