Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Undriveable shake

92 loyale 2 inch adf lift it's been aligned, good tires, wheels are centered, my one bad caliper I replaced, new rotors new pads new wheel bearings new axles new tie rods new balljoints car still shakes violently after 40mph. It's getting to where I don't even want to drive the car 40 the steering wheel starts to shake getting pretty aggressive then the faster you go the wheel stops but then the whole car starts to shake.

The parts might be new but that doesn't guarantee they are right.  Raise the front end and start pulling on parts to see what if anything is loose.  Could be the axle nut is not on correctly, worth checking.

The parts might be new but that doesn't guarantee they are right. Raise the front end and start pulling on parts to see what if anything is loose. Could be the axle nut is not on correctly, worth checking.

The nuts have been checked yes it has a slight pull to the right so I'm starting to lean towards junk passenger axle

Did you replace the rotor on the one that had a sticking caliper? If it was sticking bad, it likely has a lot of runout.

Oh yes, both rotors replaced and the caliper was replaced because of a bad rear seal by the ebrake

Edited by XHighOctanex

I agree all above. One question I ask did you use Oem axles or after market? My son-in-law is a service tech at our local Subaru dealer, and states they have a lot of trouble with vibrating aftermarket axles.

I'm on my second set of import direct orielly axles, first set had no issue then when I did the ball joints and tie rods I warrantied the axles just because I knew I'd need to. I'll probably warranty them in a week or 2 or sooner if I don't find anything else to fix the shake

Take a close look at the front tires.  Specifically, the tread.  Easiest to do with the wheel off the ground, or off the car so you can roll it and look for a patch of tread that is bubbled off the belts.  I've had this happen to some tires when the alignment was off.  It made odd speed dependent shaking in the steering that would vary in intensity with speed.  When both tires had it happen, it would even come and go as they gradually would be in sync and 180 degrees out.  Oddly, the car drove pretty much normally otherwise, so I destroyed a couple sets of used tires before I figured out what was happening.  I corrected the alignment, it did feel like it steered a little better, and the tire destruction stopped.

Its a axle thats what they do its ether to tight or broken a new axle if it was assembled wrong it will be to tight and cause the problem your discribin also old axles the greese gets hard inside the joint and will caused the vibration you discribe or broken parts like broken or cracked cage one of the balls inside could have a inperfection causing it to bind up randomly your discribing the.exsact same problem my imp had i ignored it and took it skiing anyway i ended up changin the axle in the snow at about 5° outside at night in the dark before i could drive home i definitly think you have a F ed axle maybe pull the boot back and clean the joints and regreese them and see also you can inspect the cage and ball bearings while in there but that will void your warenty if its a lifetime warrentied axle but im guessing it will solve your problem as it sounds like a sticky axle the broken axle usaly ends up with axle parts puked up all over the ground