Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Highway + hills = top speed of 45-50 mph

I think there may be something wrong with my transmission, it is an automatic.

I will have the gas pedal pretty much all the way down to the floor and the car doesn't seem to go past a certain RPM, and then if I actually touch the gas pedal to the floor it slams into the next gear and revs to 4k+ rpm very violently... Very odd. The car drives great in town but does not like the highway...

I'm not sure what it could be at this point other than the transmission. I am replacing both fuel filters asap and doing a tranny fluid change, who knows when it was done last. Just got this car from an old lady recently.

It will be an engine problem,not tranny.

The transmission is supposed to kick down to a lower gear when floored under a certain speed.

I`d be checking that  the secondary throttle is not stuck closed,ignition timing and possibly for a restricted exhaust.

Engine model would help with ideas.

If it is an EA82 spfi,  fuel starvation can cause power loss. 

It is also normal for the transmission to downshift when you floor it, there is a switch on the gas pedal that trips a valve to do this.

Also 4000 rpm is not harmful to these engines, it is normal rpm at 65 mph for my 3 speed automatics. 

This is the EA81 motor with the stock Hitachi carb.

Is the only air filter within the air cleaner above the carb? I will be replacing the fuel filter and the filter/fuel vapor separator asap, and spark plugs/wires. I also just removed the catalytic converter the other day since I have my car up on jack stands (doing front end suspension/steering replacements), I am sure that it was clogged and not doing any good. The attached muffler had holes in it also. Need to get a new exhaust soon.

7 hours ago, DaveT said:

I am not sure when they went to 2 catalytic converters.   Ea82s have 2.

In the L series?! That must be a Californian spec thing as I’ve not know Subaru’s to have two cat converters until maybe Gen4 (AUDM though).

The other issue could be a problem with the regulator in the trans. 

My first thought was a blocked exhaust but the fact that it’ll rev to 4000rpm says otherwise - unless it’s in the early stages and is load dependant rather than rpm dependant. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 11/10/2018 at 9:06 AM, Subuhrue said:

I think there may be something wrong with my transmission, it is an automatic.

I will have the gas pedal pretty much all the way down to the floor and the car doesn't seem to go past a certain RPM, and then if I actually touch the gas pedal to the floor it slams into the next gear and revs to 4k+ rpm very violently... Very odd. The car drives great in town but does not like the highway...

I'm not sure what it could be at this point other than the transmission. I am replacing both fuel filters asap and doing a tranny fluid change, who knows when it was done last. Just got this car from an old lady recently.

If you're running a Hitachi carb, and combined with the engine size, they do not like hills!  I drove my brand new '86 1.8L from Colorado Springs to Portland OR and when we got to those hills going through the Gorge the car could not be forced to go over about 40-45 mph with pedal floored. They are dogs going uphill with the Hitachi carbs.

20 hours ago, DaveT said:

2 cats in EA82s is not a CA only thing.  All in the USA have 2 cats.  1 in the y pipe, one in the middle pipe.

First I’ve heard of this for an L series! Our have one in the Y pipe and a resonator type muffler in the middle then the rear muffler. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Although not really built to sustained high revs with only three main bearings I drove mine like it loved to rev so rev the ring out if it in held second below Drive when going up this hills and just hang on and concentrate on road safety and engine temps