Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've always envied people with acetylene torches who can heat and remove rusted fasteners with ease.

Changing out rear sway bar bushings, with somewhat limited access to the top bolt that wouldn't budge with PB Blaster and arm power.

Today I tried my Harbor Freight Butane Micro torch. Costs about $13 when on sale and waddayaknow... 2000 1760 degrees (?) of butane heat alternating with PB Blaster and it did the trick.

May not be enough heat to conquer ball joint rust issues here in the northeast but It gives a real fine tip of concentrated heat to the flame and I will keep it in mind when working in close quarters near rubber bushings etc.

Image result for harbor freight butane torch

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 3

brus brother,

Just to go along with this ... I use Map Gas instead of propane when doing the same job. The Blue propane tank torches just aren't hot enough for some rusted fasteners, while the Yellow Map Gas tanks of the same size burn much hotter, and they are fairly cheap as well.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, brus brother said:

Just checked my numbers butane 1760 deg F

mapp 2900 deg F

atsa big difference

I was very comfortable with the small size and ready availability of the micro torch.

The amount of heat relative to the size of the thing you are heating is more important than the temperature.

For a given amount of flame, in increasing order I think butane, propane, mapp, acet-air, acet-oxy.

Mapp used to be better too, they changed it at some point.

Yea, my MAPP torch is always nearby. I've probably had it for 15 years, and only had to buy 3 or 4 new bottles, but it's gotten me out of many sticky situations.

Penetrating oil helps, but nothing works like heat.

An air hammer is extremely useful, but that will destroy whatever it touches, but with some careful use, you can spin off a rounded/rusted nut without damaging the stud.

2 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Yea, my MAPP torch is always nearby. I've probably had it for 15 years, and only had to buy 3 or 4 new bottles, but it's gotten me out of many sticky situations.

Penetrating oil helps, but nothing works like heat.

An air hammer is extremely useful, but that will destroy whatever it touches, but with some careful use, you can spin off a rounded/rusted nut without damaging the stud.

you guys are using a one fuel system for heating up rusty fasteners?   (as opposed to dual fuel like oxy-XYZ?)

is it the simple single cans like you buy at big box hardware stores?

On 9/13/2019 at 4:32 PM, idosubaru said:

you guys are using a one fuel system for heating up rusty fasteners?   (as opposed to dual fuel like oxy-XYZ?)

is it the simple single cans like you buy at big box hardware stores?

Yep. oxy-acetylene is way hotter, but cumbersome and expensive.

MAPP torch is just like a handheld propane torch, but hotter (MAPP tank is yellow, vs blue for Propane). Find them in the plumbing section almost anywhere.

19 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

Yep. oxy-acetylene is way hotter, but cumbersome and expensive.

MAPP torch is just like a handheld propane torch, but hotter (MAPP tank is yellow, vs blue for Propane). Find them in the plumbing section almost anywhere.

Sure thing I’ve seen them.  Didn’t think they’d get hot enough to help much. Good to know.

Edited by idosubaru

I use propane almost exclusively.  I have acetylene rigged up for brazing, but for cutting up to about 1/4" an acetylene tip will work for mild steel, any thicker, I use a propane tip.  a little longer to get cut started, but @ $80 for medium acetylene tank refil vs. $20 for propane I can wait a little longer.  And for the big heating job, a rosebud works just great on Propane.

1 hour ago, montermahan said:

I use propane almost exclusively.  I have acetylene rigged up for brazing, but for cutting up to about 1/4" an acetylene tip will work for mild steel, any thicker, I use a propane tip.  a little longer to get cut started, but @ $80 for medium acetylene tank refil vs. $20 for propane I can wait a little longer.  And for the big heating job, a rosebud works just great on Propane.

to be clear... you are referring to a two bottle oxy-propane system? not just the propane bottle from hardware aisle?