Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Subaru 5 speed Legacy Wagon- start no move???

So my friend's son parked his 97 5 speed legacy wagon  for the summer and pulled out his summer driver.   I think he left a light on.  It drained the battery good.  Fast forward to fall in Wisconsin.  They jumped it, got it running and the lights are flicking on and off.  Car will not move though even in neutral with the car off. He set the parking brake when he parked it. It was dry as a bone out that day so we don't think the parking brake is locked up. .   I told them to hit cars 101 site for the resetting trick for the key fob and to get the lights to stop flashing.  Will the lack of battery power also immobilize the car's transmission or are we chasing another issue after flashing light issue?  

it is relatively easy - just need to get the brakes loosened up. might be as easy as a short tow (preferably backwards & only a few feet - don't want to tear up tires) to break them free, or it may be more involved - as in jacking it up, pulling the wheels and getting in there to free up the pads/shoes manually.

hope it goes easy for you.

• Like 2

Yeah you can take the wheel off and bang on the center part of the drum. this should help "release" the stuck brake.

Put car back on ground and try and drive it.

The flickering lights are on the dash it could be the alternator.. might clear up after its been driven a little