Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Oversized oil filter

Why? The EA filters are already huge compared to most modern engines. These engines aren't particularly hard on oil or overly powerful for their size and don't really benefit from synthetics. The oil control rings are wide and not prone to coking even with $hit oil from walmart. I don't see the advantage. 

GD

25 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Why? The EA filters are already huge compared to most modern engines. These engines aren't particularly hard on oil or overly powerful for their size and don't really benefit from synthetics. The oil control rings are wide and not prone to coking even with $hit oil from walmart. I don't see the advantage. 

GD

This car had a hard/poorly maintained life before me. This is the inside of the engine after about 5 2K mile oil changes with a few atf flushes. When I first got it, it was worst. I did both the valve cover gaskets, and there was amount 1/16-1/8" of sluge.

20200612_151106.jpg

I agree with GD, there is no advantage in use a big oil filter, in fact a tiny oil filter aids to keep the oil pressure, by modern standards...

I suggest to read this thread regarding oil filter, where I share the four sizes that can be fitted safely on the EA82, but the best for the engine, is the smallest one.

~► https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/171073-a-better-oil-filter-for-the-ea82/

Kind Regards. 

Oil pressure increase seen after the filter is a good thing. Between the filter and pump, any increase in oil pressure wouldn’t be seen on a gauge. 

So if there’s an increase in oil pressure on a physical gauge, that’s got to be a good thing. 

Cheers 

Bennie