Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT engine swap thoughts?

So I have an 88 xt part time 4wd and I'm thinking of an engine swap. I would love to make some good power out of the car and keep it decently cheap. What engines are relatively easy to swap in? What tips can anyone give me on finding information, parts, etc on the topic? Thank you all for any help!

'96-'98 EJ22 would be my preference, but almost any EJ22 would be a great option.

The factory fuel injection won't run anything other than a stock engine very well. So any engine swap involves wiring in a new ECU, and making that happy. There are hundreds and hundreds of details on different options and methods. Basically any Subaru engine is mechanically possible without too much trouble. And anything else is possible with enough time, money and knowledge (a good friend of mine put a turbo 6.0l GM V8 and 4L80 in his Legacy).

That said, I think the early OBD II EJ22s are just the right combination of simple reliability, with a dab of modern technology ($15 dongle with allow you to view trouble codes and engine parameters on your smart phone). The Earlier EJ22s are simpler, but OBD I leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to diagnostics.

The only difficult part for most people is the electrical. And to make that "easy" isn't all that cheap. We do a lot of swaps to VW's, older Subaru's, and wiring of sand rails, etc. The LINK  Engine Management products (https://linkecu.com/) are our preference for how easy they are to install/wire, and tune. But expect that to come with a price - about $1,750 to $2,000 for the hardware if you want to do it yourself, and about $3k if you want a shop such as ours to do it. But it is by far the easiest way to go. The stock ECU's from that era suck and with the LINK you get speed density (delete the MAF and all the plumbing), and full motorsports features, etc. 

GD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

But it is by far the easiest way to go.

I realize I’m unfamiliar and not doubting but why is it easier, is it plug and play?  Is it easier for a first timer, or just for someone whose done it already?

If it’s not close to plug and play it seems like wires require stripping and splicing?

Edited by idosubaru

3 hours ago, Localun said:

So I have an 88 xt part time 4wd and I'm thinking of an engine swap. I would love to make some good power out of the car and keep it decently cheap. What engines are relatively easy to swap in? What tips can anyone give me on finding information, parts, etc on the topic? Thank you all for any help!

EJ22 like he just said.  

Ej25 or EJ25 block with EJ22 heads or an 01-04 EZ30 provide good performance bumps but are more problematic for fitment issues. 

39 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

I realize I’m unfamiliar and not doubting but why is it easier, is it plug and play?  Is it easier for a first timer, or just for someone whose done it already?

If it’s not close to plug and play it seems like wires require stripping and splicing?

Easiest bit is probably starting with a fresh wiring loom - no need to cut out the correct wires and no wire intersections where two become one or one becomes two as it is with a factory loom cutdown. 

@Localun - any EJ engine would be a good choice except the EJ25D. You could even drop a turbo variant in there if you wanted. There’s a few extra bits to cover, namely the slotting of the engine crossmember for the turbo up pipe (or source a turbo crossmember). 
I’d also recommend running an AWD gearbox especially if going for the turbo option. The rear end of a 4wd L series is what you need for this. If you can get a turbo rear end you’ll get the rear sway bar and rear 4wd disc brakes too. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

16 hours ago, idosubaru said:

You don't need the harness or ECU from the donor chassis. You just need the manifold harness. For a LINK Monsoon you just buy the short "A" harness, and wire it up to the manifold harness. Yes there is wire splicing but only to what you actually need, not a bunch of a crap you don't need. And with the LINK you can throw away the MAF, and replace any other sensors with.... anything you want. About the only thing you have to keep is the crank and cam sensors. Anything else can be swapped with other years, models, or even from an entirely different make and model unrelated to Subaru. 

GD