Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think you or I am confused - you said ‘diff’ and ‘gear ratio’. but diffs are generally referred to by their “final drive ratio”, not “gear ratio”

so do you mean the final drive ratio of an R160 diff, or are you asking about (one of the) “gear ratios” (your words) of a transmission thats paired with an R160?

If it’s trans gear ratio then I’m unfamiliar with those.

If you mean the final drive ratio - the ratio of the diff itself, there are None in US nonturbo with that value (and I’m not aware of any common ones in US turbo either.  Possible US final drive rear differential ratios:  3.55, 3.7, 3.9, 4.11, 4.44

If it exists - I’d guess it’s non-US market, or some outlier turbo STi JDM or something like that. Possibly a newer model but all of the I’ve seen are standard Subaru final drive ratios that have been around for awhile  

Edited by idosubaru

Not even a JDM option to my knowledge. 
And there’s no 3.08 gear ratio either. Typical first ratios are 3.454 or 3.545, second is 2.something or a high 1.something from memory. There are plenty of charts out there. 

I don’t even know if the Datsun crew have a 3.08 ratio. I know this ratio was available in the Holdens (Australia). Dunno about fords, not a Ford man. 

I hope this helps you out somehow. I’m looking forward to hear what you’re up to. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Take it easy guys. The question was clear, and relevant. And there are a lot more ratios available on the newer cars than that.

Legacies and Outbacks with a turbo and a 5EAT have very tall diff ratios. Looks like 07-09 LGT 5EAT cars use that one in particular. 

Car-part.com lists that option for a Legacy 3.0 5EAT, but I couldn't reproduce it in Subaru's catalog.

308 rear diff.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Interesting and looks like a painful part to track down due to lack of numbers out there in comparison to the other ratios! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Meh, car-part shows 4 pages of results in the US. None close enough to me to drive to, but they can be shipped and they're cheap enough. 

• 2 years later...

The differencial in question here that has the 3.08 gear ratio has the case OEM marked with XT code.  Can anyone verify what model year it would have been out of?  I need a side bearing retainer and need tonID the correct part.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I rotated the diff and calculated the ratio.  Its a 3.08.

Another tech question.  Does anyone have the steps or FSM instructions as how to set the Preload on a R160 diff with the Sundial or single bolt side bearing retainers style diff case?