Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEED ADVISE about Class 3 Hitch - 98 Legacy Outback

Hey everyone - 

Does anyone know of a bolt on option for a class 3 hitch that will fit a 98 Legacy Outback? I've been searching and all that comes up is Class 2 (I know they came from the factory with a class 2, but I need a class 3). Any help would be appreciated. Thinking maybe I should search for other models from newer years as I know some of the more recent 2000's subarus come with class 3 hitches. 

If anyone knows of one or where I might move my search to that would be helpful.

cheers,

TJ

Without actually looking at the numbers, my suspicion would be that that platform wouldn't have the vehicle weight, suspension, or power to support that extra load, making it unlikely that anyone would have built a hitch for it.  What's your problem with the class 2?  Just the receiver size, or the capacity?  Because we've gone on many family (of four) trips with our '99 OBW with a full load of camping+sailing gear, and towing a boat (less than a 1000 lbs.), and there is no power to spare.  It's fantasy to think that it'll work with ten times that towing load.

Nope. AFAIK, Class 2s weren't available until at least 2005 (I know you could get 2" receivers for those, but I'm not sure if they were actually rated any higher).

I agree, though. Class 2 is good for 3500 lbs. Shouldn't be towing any more than that.

Edited by Numbchux

@jonathan909 @Numbchux @GeneralDisorder

I appreciate the responses, I'm looking to put a motorcycle carrier on the back. A class 2 hitch is rated @ 300lbs TW and the motorcycle is around 250lbs wet. It's small and I believe the surbaru can handle the weight. The suspension will be fine as it's modified to handle the extra load in the back. However most motorcycle carriers come with a 2" receiver. I'm of course also worried about that 300lbs. TW with a class 2 hitch as the force of bouncing around on the highway or back roads will exceed that 300lbs TW limit. It's just me a dog and the motorcycle so the subaru can handle the load, my current hitch however has to go.

No chance a later model class 3, say for a forester or crosstrek will bolt up?

I'm not opposed to fabricating one if I have to, but of course would like an easier route if possible.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, YnotDIY said:

Heard on all of this. I'll post some images if I end up going this route! I'm also looking at getting a Nissan Hardbody possibly, but it would mean selling the subaru.... :/

Nissan's are a pain in the neck. If you get anything get a square body GM or a Toyota..... Or one of these (my preference):

1994-Military-M1079-LMTV-1.jpg.6d0a4c02079217db790613f9dadea4c6.jpg

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

2 hours ago, lmdew said:

You are welcome to stop in Colorado Springs, CO.

Larry

One possible route does take us right through it actually. I'm still doing research on which route I want to take. The truck, as delivered to the government, has a top speed of about 50 to 55 so I'm taking that into account. It's also tall at about 11.5'

GD

On 9/11/2021 at 7:12 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

October 5th or 6th. Depending on how many days the drive from Houston back to Portland takes me....

GD

seriously?

I'm gonna keep this in mind - we could maybe 'convoy' from DFW to CoSpgs.

at Present, I plan to overnight in Amarillo.......just don't have a firm timeframe yet.

hmmmmm

28 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

seriously?

I'm gonna keep this in mind - we could maybe 'convoy' from DFW to CoSpgs.

at Present, I plan to overnight in Amarillo.......just don't have a firm timeframe yet.

hmmmmm

Yep. Arrive in Houston on Oct 1. 

But remember - truck only goes 55 top speed. Effective final drive ratio is around 7:1

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

Planning to sleep in the back or moteling it....?

Just the trip from DFW to Amarillo will likely go from around 5 hours to 7 or so.

Well..... Looks like we are headed to Tuscon Arizona and up through Nevada and Vegas this trip not up to Colorado. Not sure where you're headed but you're welcome to tag along at our slow speed if any part of the route brings us together. 

GD

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

Nissan's are a pain in the neck. If you get anything get a square body GM or a Toyota..... Or one of these (my preference):

GD

Man, I'd never be able to afford anything for that haha, but they are so so cool.  Some new news about trying to tow with the subaru. I Just read a few places that the actual unibody frame rating is around 200LBS for TW for my year. Does that make any sense to ya'll?? It sounds like the frame is constructed in such a way that it's bolted together and in running more than 200lbs on the back of the car it's likely the frame of the car will actually bend where it's joined together.

Can anyone lend any wisdom on this??

Does upgraded suspension help at all?
I'm running king springs all around with G-cel struts.
Also have a 4" ADF lift kit

I have no idea how these frames are built or TW rating for the frame of the car.

If this is the case it looks like I might be out of the Subaru game for a bit.

Edited by YnotDIY

13 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Well..... Looks like we are headed to Tuscon Arizona and up through Nevada and Vegas this trip not up to Colorado. Not sure where you're headed but you're welcome to tag along at our slow speed if any part of the route brings us together. 

GD

Be aware, a large vehicle in S TX is likely to get pulled over by BP/ICE. Just be cool about it. Not sure in NM or AZ.....

3 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

Be aware, a large vehicle in S TX is likely to get pulled over by BP/ICE. Just be cool about it. Not sure in NM or AZ.....

Oh wow - didn't even think of that! I'll have to ask my guy in TX about that - he has a military museum down there. I wouldn't think they would mess with a camo LMTV with Texas plates but maybe? It is supremely off-road capable so would be uniquely suited to border crossing in the middle of nowhere......

GD

4 hours ago, YnotDIY said:

I Just read a few places that the actual unibody frame rating is around 200LBS for TW for my year. Does that make any sense to ya'll?? It sounds like the frame is constructed in such a way that it's bolted together and in running more than 200lbs on the back of the car it's likely the frame of the car will actually bend where it's joined together.

Can anyone lend any wisdom on this??

I have no idea how these frames are built or TW rating for the frame of the car.

That's just it - there is no frame. The unibody is made from folded sheet metal that's slightly stiffer than wet tissue paper. 

Suspension has no bearing on what will begin to tear the bolts out of the wet tissue paper that is your "frame/body"

GD

Yep, no frame. Unibody means the entire sheet metal body of the car provides the structure. Which is exactly my concern, the commercially-available hitches only attach in a couple spots, and I bet those bolts would just tear through the sheet metal with that kind of weight on it. Which is why I said I would build my own hitch with more pickup points. Some brackets that tie into the bumper mounts, maybe something forward to catch some rear suspension points. Etc.