Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory Subaru. Or make an attempt to re-seal it yourself. There are kits to make your own o-rings - both standard and metric. And if it has a special gasket I have used Hylomar to seal them up. 

Does require disassembly and if you aren't familiar with pumps and pressing bearings, etc you will be money and time ahead just getting one from Subaru. 

GD

15 hours ago, brus brother said:

Pretty sizeable leak from the PS pump. Subaru genuine are pretty spendy but my experience with my 05 was that aftermarket was a failure and too late to remedy having given back the original for core charge.

Any recommendations?

Unfortunately man I would get one from Subaru.  The 05's to 09 power steering pump are a sore spot for that generation.  I've said it multiple times on here that any 05-09's i'm looking at (for me or someone else) I just assume it'll need a power steering pump they're so bad.  They fail all the time with age, and like GD said rebuilding isn't a good fit for many folks.  And aftermarkets are equally as problematic. 

44 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

used oem from car-part?

I wouldn't but you bring up a good point.  I wouldn't for the same reasons outlined above, unless I had a really close yard and didn't mind doing the job twice (or three times!), or wasn't going to own the car a long time. how old is your Subaru brus borther?  I think you plan to have it for awhile?  I'd only go used (even if it's OEM) if you're not going to have it long or don't mind replacing it again.  I'd probably go for an aftermarket with longer warranty than a typical used 6 month warranty though. You're likely to need it.

Here's an excellent tutorial on rebuilding an 07 OB PS pump. Not that difficult...

BUT in searching, there is no rebuild kit for the 2008 DOH! as others have reported the same on the SubaruOutback site a few years ago linked HERE..

Too bad cuz the PS is working properly. No noise. So, if I could just locate the external approximate O-rings, I wouldn't even be concerned with the internal seals or bearing, less chance of scoring or misplaced vanes. 

This is our only car so I don't have the luxury of removing the pump and spec searching O-rings. Might go cheap through Carparts. $140 Comes with the pulley so I don't have to rassle that thing loose. One year warranty.

Used of that vintage would be suffering the same hardening of the seals so not a long term solution.

Unfortunate that an 07 wouldn't cross-fit or would it? Subaru dealers list the same part number 34430AG03B for 07 as 08... I'll have to check with vin tomorrow but that might just be the workaround to source the reseal kit AVAILABLE FOR 07 BUT NOT FOR 08 my?? Puzzled...

Edited by brus brother

11 hours ago, brus brother said:

no rebuild kit for the 2008 DOH! 

Too bad cuz the PS is working properly. No noise.

source the reseal kit AVAILABLE FOR 07 BUT NOT FOR 08 my?? Puzzled...

Yes I forgot to say it, but no rebuild kit is the chief issue you’re trying to work around.

not worth the time for most people but you might be able to address just an external leak  

Thats a good idea, 05-09 are all very similar and unless I’m forgetting something the pumps are interchangeable.  There’s a chance some/many/most of those 07 parts cross over to an 08. 

14 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I didn'trealize they were so problematic. Is the failure some common seal/gasket/bearing that could be improved with an aftermarket substance/part?

maybe a proper rebuild using GD's post would fix the weak spot?

not sure the same part that’s always problematic - but seen external leaks, loss of steering assist, noise.  the variety of symptoms suggests, but doesn’t guarantee, more than one problem area. 

happens a lot, and it’s been happening a long time even when these models weren’t that old relative to Subaru power steering pumps in prior generations which have fewer issues.

2 minutes ago, lmdew said:

I put hose clamps onto the 06 Forester inlet hose.  It started leaking air after I'd replaced the radiator and just moved the hose.  It's been working fine for over 2 years now.

That’s a great point - make sure no hose leaks that are easily addressed. 

Just spoke with Gates tech dept and verified that since the pump for the 2007 is the same as for the 2008 Subaru part #34430AG03B, the reseal kit Gates #348827 (spec'd for the 2005-2007) is compatible with my 08.

I may buy a cheap replacement pump to have on hand in the event the reseal goes south.

Edited by brus brother

16 minutes ago, brus brother said:

Just spoke with Gates tech dept and verified that since the pump for the 2007 is the same as for the 2008 Subaru part #34430AG03B, the reseal kit Gates #348827 (spec'd for the 2005-2007) is compatible with my 08.

I may buy a cheap replacement pump to have on hand in the event the reseal goes south.

cheers for great news!  how hard was it to get a Gates Tech, and how knowledgeable did they seem about Subarus?

3 hours ago, idosubaru said:

cheers for great news!  how hard was it to get a Gates Tech, and how knowledgeable did they seem about Subarus?

easy 303 744 5651 option 2

asked for tech service and he reviewed ps pumps listed by MY and said they probably never updated their own info to include 08 for reseal kits

wonder how many sales were missed...

• Like 1

Best news yet.

Suspecting what I read as a common problem, fiddling around with the top mounted plastic elbow atop the pump caused air to enter the system (groaning noise).

Cleaned the entire area with brake cleaner and traced the substantial rivulet of brake fluid back to a defective O-ring sitting where the return line enters the top of the pump. Aside from the O-ring being hardened, it is a poor design in that the fitting is only held on by a bolt on one side, allowing for torquing of the fitting leading to air being sucked in and fluid escaping when pump not sucking the fluid through the system.

$1.70 for the O-ring and the area is nice and dry.

Competent diagnosis comes before treatment. Watchful neglect paid off.:banana:

One of my professors advised to follow the 6 Ps:

Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brus brother said:

Aside from the O-ring being hardened, it is a poor design in that the fitting is only held on by a bolt on one side,

yeah.. similar setup on the other half's 06

we had to change the pump on his.. major whining when running.. did not even have to be turning the wheel.. just running.
had a heck of time trying to bleed air out of the system..

turns out he buggered that o-ring when installing - put another new one on (we have a couple of o-ring kits here) and problem solved

On 12/30/2021 at 8:11 AM, heartless said:

yeah.. similar setup on the other half's 06

we had to change the pump on his.. major whining when running.. did not even have to be turning the wheel.. just running.
had a heck of time trying to bleed air out of the system..

turns out he buggered that o-ring when installing - put another new one on (we have a couple of o-ring kits here) and problem solved

I just noticed the unit is still weeping at the large gasket so I guess I am still in for a reseal. It's not leaking as badly as before and no noise so I will put it off until warmer weather.

What brand did you use as a replacement? New or rebuilt?

20 hours ago, brus brother said:

I just noticed the unit is still weeping at the large gasket so I guess I am still in for a reseal. It's not leaking as badly as before and no noise so I will put it off until warmer weather.

What brand did you use as a replacement? New or rebuilt?

i would have to check with him... i really have no idea where it came from