Ultimate Subaru Message Board

T-Rex-WRX update

OK-I've been real busy lately & haven't posted much of anything---Work-Ranch & Racing have taken 98% of the time I have---Still--T-Rex has been having a GREAT Autocross season--All Seconds & Thirds--still can't seem to pull that first place down :-\ but I'll keep doin' the mods & try harder--

Last mods-

1. Rear seat area is now plated with .032 6061 T6 aluminum--really stiffened the back of the car up.

2. Rear Sway bar from a early 90's Acura Intergra--I'll post pics if anyone is interested-worked real well in the back--was a easy mod--REALLY helped.

3. Falken Azisus Rs 205/50/15 tires on 4 x 130 0 offset rims--VW superbeatle rims--widened the track 2"-- also made the car look kind'a like the old Hot Wheels cars---have 6" ground clear with them---:D

I am still going to do the flairs & front/rear caps--just doing the things to lower the track times first--

Last event I was 4 sec faster that the Mini Coopers & BEAT a '02 WRX by 2 sec!! Not bad for a 22 yr old Gen 2 car!!!

post-3739-136027594998_thumb.jpg

post-3739-136027595004_thumb.jpg

post-3739-13602759501_thumb.jpg

post-3739-136027595016_thumb.jpg

That thing looks really cool. It just makes you wanna go out and buy one.

THANKS!!

Next major mod (this winter) is a EJ-22 engine & trans--looking for 140/160HP--The ol' EA-81 finally got tires that it can't break loose---and 2.2L will put me at the top of the class next year:brow:

Later---

I'd love to go to WCSS---but, my niece is having a wedding in Idaho Aug 22 & the next autocross is the next weekend (28/29th)---family before fun--you know. I'd invite you out to the autocross--lots of fun machinery going as fast as possible---- I will put it into my calandar for next year--should have the car much better along by then--

As to the VW mod--I welded up the stud holes in the front hubs & centered them in a lathe--had to reduce the centering lugs down to 100mm & set a scribe mark at 130mm--Centered all four new stud holes & drilled them. The rear drums were much easier--just offset the new holes 45deg from the old ones--scribed & drilled--used a endmill & straightened a area around the new stud holes--then installed all the new studs with blue Locktight (used late 70's chev 1/2 RH studs to make the lugnuts easy).

The car is a 2WD 5 speed--Weight as raced without me is 1970LB--Engine is in the 100/105 HP range--40mm side-draft Dellorto on custom manifold (see the old FRANKINTAKE post)--dual 2" pipes back to a dual in/dual out Dynomax muffler with a "H" pipe at the diff & two 12" glaspacks staggered after to balance the tone--no power below 2000rpm--will rev real free up to 6500rpm---will hit 56mph at redline in second---:burnout:

WAY cool!! Could use some exterior work (paint etc.), when you finish with mechanical work. IF you finish with mechanical work!!!

Wellll---My friend Brian was down the last event with his 300hp STi & I was 6sec behind him-----but serious--I've got the flairs mocked up & the front & rear caps will be fairly easy--you can see where the rear venting will be & I'm going to do a standard front air dam with air intakes to the front brakes. Color will be a basic Artic White with a 12" bronze stripe from the bottom center of the "dam back up & over to the bottom of the air splitter center in the rear.

I know its not a custom pearl or metallic or pimped color---but it's a race car & that will make it easy to repair if ( and I hope not) when it gets bent---

You should really make a point to stop at the WCSS if you can find the time. If not to stay, just to say hi. I would love to see that car in person, and I know there will be alot of other subaru owners there that would too.

-Brian

I'd like nothing better--The wife & I will be heading up tp Idaho in the '89 GL wagon--T-Rex will be in the garage at home---

My next race is the 28/29th--I'm in for season standings if I keep the car running as well as it has been--So, it looks like next year for me---but, on the bright side, T-Rex will be EJ22 by then & ready to take on the STi's!!!!

So, I'm curious as to why you are going with the EJ22 engine instead of an EJ20G engine. If you are going to go through all the trouble to install an EJ series engine into the car, why not get one will more horse power, and possibly even a WRX engine, then the car's name woiuld fit better. There are EJ20G from Legacys out there for less then $500, but they only put out 200 to 220 hp depending upon the turbo they have on them. You might be able to find an early WRX front clip for around $2000, that will have everything you need, engine, tranny, rear suspension, rear diff (to match the tranny), the ECU, and a complete front wiring harness. Those range from 240 to 275 hp. You might be able to use a Legacy FWD tranny if you wanted to keep your car FWD.

I'm building the car to class specs, so no turbo (would move me up to the Mustangs & other V-8 cars)--same with the WRX drivetrain--the class allows up to 2.5L (read 2499cc), non-turbo & car must look similar to the stock car. So no major changes to drivetrain or body. The class is very tight, lots of 510's, a very light & hot ex-roadrace Ford Festiva and other good competive cars--better than a class of one---The carbs & basic electronics because I work with the K.I.S.S. system--the simpler it is, the less that can go wrong at the track---I know it won't be a techo marvel--but the idea behind the first WRX's was a light, powerfull, fast small car----So a real old WRX would fit the GLF--just new enough the use some tech, but old enough to not need it----

I know what you mean about the early WRXs, look at my signature block. I am just about finished with getting my 96 WRX STi Type R replica put back together after painting. With luck, I'll have a picture posted on Sunday.

it would be an early WRX if it was awd.................

J/k :)

(btw did you ever get my email back about the Dellotro carb I might be running on my RX)

Well--you get the idea--small, light hi-output car---and i'm 100lb or so lighter by not having the AWD----I've got enough traction--just need more HP---

Yea-I remember your E--Found a guy in Italy that can send jets & other parts for real cheap--I'll send you the E if you want---

I think you guys are confused, the WRX refers only to a model of the Impreza, no other cars. Now the RX, that is a different story, the RX that we know of here in the USA is actually the Gen II version of the RX, but my research shows that it is actually a Gen III. There was a RX 4WD that appears to be based upon a mid 70's coupe, then there was a EA81 based car, somewhere in my archives of pictures I have a photo of the mid 70's one, I'll see if I can find it.