Ultimate Subaru Message Board

used loyale/gl buying advice

I am looking around for a used subaru in Seattle for around $1500. I am thinking about a Loyale or GL wagon. Any buying advice would be much appreciated, as I know little about cars.

A few questions that I have:

1. pros/cons of auto vs. manual tranny

2. what milage is reasonable for around $1500?

3. what particular problems do these models have?

Basically, I am looking solid running cheap subaru...

Thanks for any help!!!

Cheap subaru for $1,500!? You can buy mine for that much, hell, I'll give it to ya for $1,000. Just saying, you could get a really good sube for that much. What to look for...mileage wise, Subes run forever (If taken car of, my sube has 225,000miles on it) and what kind of GL would you want? What do you want the car for? I'd watch out for rust, but hey I buy compulsively. I'd go with a manual, Sube auto trannies suck. Well, I just lost my train of thought, I was ready to go on forever...but lost it. Good luck.

I am looking around for a used subaru in Seattle for around $1500. I am thinking about a Loyale or GL wagon. Any buying advice would be much appreciated, as I know little about cars.

A few questions that I have:

1. pros/cons of auto vs. manual tranny

2. what milage is reasonable for around $1500?

3. what particular problems do these models have?

Basically, I am looking solid running cheap subaru...

Thanks for any help!!!

seattle's the place to look, thats for sure. wish i lived there, id never have a shortage of parts. rust isnt fun. anyway, to address your questions:

1. autos in subarus from what i gather suck. manuals are better in the fact that they are funner, more efficient, and last longer.

Fun:

the fact that you can control what gears you want to be in is great compared to having to wait for some computer to tell it to shift. off-roading, which is what subarus are born to do, is much more enjoyable in manual as well. you can get "into it" more with a manual, versus automatics is like someone else shifting for you. yuck. unless you like that. then its more like, 'mmm'.

Efficiency:

manuals are more gas efficient because you're the one shifting, as said before. im sure theres other more technical things that i cant think about right now, but just know that its like 5mpg better minimum all the time.

Long-lasting and wintery-fresh:

well, i think they do anyway. depends on how you shift.

2. If you could get a GL for the same price as a loyale go with the GL. they are way better in the sense that they have d/r (dual range 4wd - high/low) and tons more features. the loyale is like the weakened out version of the GL with the same body so its still not bad if you have no choice. i got my 93 loyale (i dont think they made 94... but thats what my sig says and is on my title) with 110,000 miles on it (nothing compared to most people on this board) for $1600 fully loaded with automatic stuff manual 5spd 4wd spfi ea82 blah blah blah no rust good interior but friggin crapped up a/c. bad subject. if you can get all the features that i have PLUS good a/c then its worth probably $1400. i got jipped. I dont know anything bout GLs so research that on kbb.com or something

3. all subarus pretty much have the same problems according to what is posted on this forum... usually a/t's are big problems, turbos, a/c's, push-button 4wd (which the loyale has), axles/chassis/cv boots/etc (if it was off-roaded these go out faster), and more that i cant think of.

this probably wasnt too helpful but at least get a manual tranny... youll be happier.

For 1500 I bet you could get a 90-91 legacy AWD or a 93 AWD (with the 1.8 liter engine) Impreza. GL's are nice, but I've had ALOT of subarus (look at my signature)

The 91 Legacy was the most fun to drive (2.2 liter, AWD, 5 speed and 180K on it)

The 98 Impreza was the fastest AND got the best mileage. Also had a 2.2 liter engine AWD (4 speed auto though) and like 55K

My 92 Loyale ran good after I got it tuned up, but it lacked the features my 87 GL has (map lights, decent door handles on the front doors (interior)) rear dome light in the cargo area. It had a 3 speed automatic and was a slug. But it got decent mileage.

So... If you have 1500 to blow I suggest a 90-91 Legacy (without air suspension, unless you are willing to gamble on the risk it may go out, in which case swap in normal coil over parts) with a 5 speed. A 90-91 L wagon with AWD and a 5 speed with 150K or so miles is possible to find for 1500. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the history of the car.

It's been said but I'll say it again, watch out for rust, and not just on the body, get down on the ground and look underneath the car and in the wheel-wells, especially in structural places. In most cases, the rust will render the car unusable before any serious mechanical problems.

DON'T get an auto, They're only a 3-speed which means freeway speeds are very high rpm (60 mph = almost 4k) which means 3 things: 1. tranny goes out faster (mine went at ~120k) B. mileage is very bad by comparison and 3. it's quite a bit harder on the motor. Not to mention that 5-speeds are FAR more fun :grin:!!!

I would also recommend getting a fuel-injected one, I can't say that I have a very good comparison, but both mine have about the same problems and the loyale has TONS more low end torque.

just my $.02

-Chux

thanks for the replies...

I think I will get a 5-speed. I may get a Legacy if I can find one for $1500. All of the ones that I've seen advertised for sale are over $2000.

I have been looking on Craiglist.org and The Seattle Times. If anyone knows any other places to find a Subaru in Seattle, let me know.

Thanks again!!!

Hi J J !!

You are being very wise to post for that kind of information before you go and buy one. I have some information that may help.

1. Like mentioned previously... check for rust

2. Look very close at the boots on the cv joints... if there are even tiny rips they need to be replaced

3. This is really important.... Pay close attention to oil leaks. When you see oil on the bottom of the timing cover there is a good chance that the front seals need to replaced.

4. If there is any clicking while you are turning it's indication that a half shaft (cv joints) need to be replaced.

5. oil pressure is important too because it's common for oil pumps to go out.

6. It's a big help to know when the front and rear seals were replaced and when the last time the timing belts were replaced.

7. feel for clunking while shifting gears or when taking off and stopping. This could be an indication that mounts are loose or halfshafts are getting really weak.

8. You may want to think twice about a GL that has a tow hitch on it... Towing anything with them is really rough and not recommended.

9. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it off with your fingers to see if there is any small pieces of metal in it.

10. Be a bit cautious when you find an engine that has been detailed (cleaned, recently painted, etc.) Engines that have a recent cleaning may indicate that they've cleaned the sign of oil leaks.

11. If you are in the need of air conditioning and you have a seller that says it just needs freon recharge... remember that it is about 300 dollars to replace the O rings and recharge it.

I have alot more that may help so if you have specific questions.. post them here.

My hat off to you for asking first!!!! Great Job!!!!

I have an 88 GL 3-door with front wheel drive/ four wheel drive that has a throttle body and a 1.8L engine and if I sold this car today I'd ask 2400.00 for it because of the great shape the engine and body is in but it's really common to find this same car for 500.00 or so here in Washington but they normally need some work (even if they run fine).

Good Luck!!!! boing

11. If you are in the need of air conditioning and you have a seller that says it just needs freon recharge... remember that it is about 300 dollars to replace the O rings and recharge it.

I got mine done for less than a dollar. FREE. but you can do it yourself for tons cheaper than 300 buckaroos. get a conversion kit from r12 to r134 and a bottle of r134 - the bottles run about 12 bucks depending on where you get it and the kits i have no idea but theyre really cheap. dont take it to a shop or theyll way overcharge you for a job that you could do yourself in less than a half an hour.

I have been looking on Craiglist.org and The Seattle Times. If anyone knows any other places to find a Subaru in Seattle, let me know.

try the usmb marketplace. theres always peeps from seattle area selling their hairy subeasts. and were all honest for the most part here, too.

Try the Autotrader - website or paper version.

Think about buying for less and sinking the rest of the money into maintenance/repair items. We're all about fixin Subes here!

My advice - get a loaded GL-10 turbo wagon with 5spd D/R, late 80's.

Second choice - no turbo, SPFI (like mine!)

OOPS - No turbo wagons with D/R, if I remember the discussion some time ago. How about a loaded turbo wagon with M/T, and swap in a D/R from the junkyard!