Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some parts that Rust Zoners would pay for-HINT to you yarders

Just got inspired by another post.You guys could really help us if you got these EA82 and EA82T parts while bonin' in the bone yard:

D/R 5spd shifter linkage (thanks for the inspiration :) )

Brake calipers

EA82T exhaust

Prop shaft

Fuel pumps!!!!! SPFI and MPFI Turbo

Probably a few other items too.this is a good starter list.

THANKS for any help in the future.

Yes,I know you guys need these too but since you all say there's so many out there that there should be plenty to go around.

Right now here on the east the 90's cars are showing up all the time in the yards.We typically have lower mileage engines and trannies since the rust catches them before they're due for retirement.Keep that in mind for yourselves.

Cheers.

I can get any of those parts fairly cheap - for example - the yards here charge $10 for the linkage bits. And they are plentiful.

But I'm not just going to stockpile them in case someone needs them. If you need something from the no-rust zone, feel free to proposition me. I make trips to the yard fairly frequently, but sometimes I don't hit one for several weeks at a time. Then all of a sudden I'll hit all the yards near me in one day. Depending on how difficult the removal of the part is, and if you want me to make a special trip just for that part, I may want some compensation for my time, but probably not more than a 12 pack or two :drunk: Unless you want a short block.... then we'll talk.... about me spending my whole darn day getting the silly thing removed, packed, and shipped..... But I'm fully willing and able to pull anything you might need given the proper motivation.

GD

Oh,I don't expect anyone to go buying up these in hopes of resale.Just keep it in mind so if you see a car that has the parts I mentioned please let us know.I'd gladly send you the dough for any of those as needed.

Right now I need the EA82Turbo exhaust from rear of the downpipe.Emissions will be back here soon so I need to be ready.

Anyone trying to keep an EA82 D/R in the rust zone is going to need that linkage.We'll also be hunting the fuel pumps,etc. as they are way too expensive from the dealer and the store equivalents generally aren't much cheaper.

Gas piping,brake lines too.I know most of you probably wouldn't want to mess around but since the yards drain the tanks it shouldn't be to hard.

For us,the rust just encrusts the brake and gas lines-when cars aren't attended to properly-and nothing sucks worse than not being able to stop while your car is on fire from gas dripping on the broken exhaust......:lol:

Anyone parting a car leisurely in their yard would be kind to save these for us folks in need.

I second the fuel pumps...took several tries to get one in good enough shape for one of our cars. (thanks Will! :) )

good clean fuel tanks too (if possible)

one that isnt so much a rust zoner thing, but for those that have access to the parts...the coil bracket with the ignition amplifier. There are no yards around here with older Subes to get parts from....

and maybe the drivers door window switches....oh yeah, and cargo covers!! :grin:

Well Moose, you're in luck. I am the proud new owner of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7916131210&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Rob is getting the engine, and I intend to use the cross-over pipe for a custom exhuast on my lifted wagon. As for the rest of it.... it's yours if you want it. Buy me a half rack, and pay the shipping.... The car is a hulk and will be crushed anyway. Didn't see any rust on it tho. I'll take a closer look at the exhuast tommorow when we pull the engine.

Is there any differences between this thing's exhaust and what you need? This one is an '88 turbo FT4WD Auto... I don't know EA82's, so you tell me.....

GD

I can get any of those parts fairly cheap - for example - the yards here charge $10 for the linkage bits. And they are plentiful.

But I'm not just going to stockpile them in case someone needs them. If you need something from the no-rust zone, feel free to proposition me. I make trips to the yard fairly frequently, but sometimes I don't hit one for several weeks at a time. Then all of a sudden I'll hit all the yards near me in one day. Depending on how difficult the removal of the part is, and if you want me to make a special trip just for that part, I may want some compensation for my time, but probably not more than a 12 pack or two :drunk: Unless you want a short block.... then we'll talk.... about me spending my whole darn day getting the silly thing removed, packed, and shipped..... But I'm fully willing and able to pull anything you might need given the proper motivation.

GD

He's right... please, please, pretty please... may I contact you for parts needs as they arise? Heck, a 30 pack makes more sense to me! Seriously... for starters I need the plate that says BRAT that fits in the little bump-in on the lower right tailgate, a sound dashboard (HA!), front seatbelts, untorn interior seats in black... for a 1978 Brat. All kidding aside... let me know what you can do.

Thanks!

Mary

I have to second GD's comment; it's too hard to go to the yard to "stockpile" parts. Too much time involved, not enough storage in my garage, and by the time I sell it, I've forgotten how much I paid for it and am probably losing money. However, I go to the yard often enough and if I have a list (very specific) of pieces, I will pull what I can and ship it off. The key here is "specific" and a comitment from a buyer to buy the part as soon as it's pulled or shipped. Some parts that I know I can sell eventually, I will pull them if I have the time....e.g. rear disk assemblies (complete), y-pipes that they forgot to cut up, turbo down pipes. I've given up on stocking composite headlamps since no one seems to want to pay the price for them. I pay $24 for them and charge $30 plus shipping for them; I don't think $6 profit for the time spent while I'm in the yard is unreasonable, but they don't sell at that price. It took me almost two years to get my "inventory" of headlights down to two from the eight that I had...and half of those went into my own cars. I go to the yards to get what I need; and when I can, parts that I can sell at a reasonable profit so I can support my Subaru addiction. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi Ed,

I have been waiting for you to post. Welcome home! I'm new to the group, my name is Mary. I see many posts by you in the archives, particularly the axle replacement, which is an immediate need for me. I am determined to make a car show this coming Wednesday night. We will attempt one axle replacement (right) this weekend?! You gonna be around? <shudder> The Chilton's manual is a might vague. We printed out your instructions and find them more detailed and more do-able. I found someone that will work on it, but Tim <Mopar man> is determined to get it done himself?! <again,see threads>. He just bought a 1972 Barracuda to restore.

Anyway, I owned a 1978 Brat (it can be seen at yahoo groups under files, seahag) for 11 years back when they were new... the body and all mechanical parts (including an $880. exhaust, 3rd one under warranty from Speedy) were pristine when I junked it... the frame was too far gone to be saved :( I was devastated to lose it... I never knew about under-carriage washes! I still miss it. Now, I have another one... it needs work (you can read my threads).

Well anyway, I digress... the yard owners around here crushed them as soon as they came in. Repair garages won't touch them here... the dealership laughs when you need parts... and I did tell the j-ck--s that he should do the math... 1978 Subaru Brat owner + Subaru parts seller = $$$$ Didn't have a clue or a care.

Anyway, I copped a plea with General Disorder for boneyard parts. Now I will cop the same plea with you on behalf of myself and moosens, a fellow "rust-zoner". We need parts!

Luckily, I just scored a rebuilt front axle on eBay, I ordered 2 from my local parts store and one came in mis-boxed... they didn't have a replacement, the charge was $101. with $45. for the core return (5% sales tax was on the $101.) PER axle... the one on eBay... $24.95 no core, no tax... he's a VW dealership with some Subie parts he's liquidating. I read that you dislike rebuilts but I couldn't find new. Unfortunately, http://www.cvaxles.com is no longer there.

So Ed, after all that whining and begging... will you consider finding parts for us too? We will pay for your time spent. Whew!

Mary

Certainly - I would be happy to accomidate you if I can. Although Gen 1 parts are mighty scarce even here. I do have a 78 2WD wagon that I'll be disposing of in the next 6 months. I'm not sure if the axles are the same or not.... if they are, I could pull them for you. It can still roll enough to get it on the scrap mans trailer without them, so I should be able to give em up.

GD

Mary, I'd be glad to find parts for you. If you're specific and we can agree on a price beforehand AND I find a '78 or later gen1 Brat we can certainly get it done. I'm sorry to hear cvaxles.com is no longer there. That's a disappointment. Among other things they've done axles well and $55 per axle plus shipping and returnable core charge was a good deal. If you have specific needs, drop me a PM and I'll look around for one. Also, since I don't know the older brats too well, let me know when the same part is available on an older sedan or wagon. Also, try moosens; he's closer and may have a fair inventory of older brat parts for you. I hope the axle replacement directions work for you. They are lifted from HTKYSA and modified with my own experiences on the early and mid-eighties cars. I suspect it's not too different for the older cars like yours, but I honestly don't know.

Unfortunately, www.cvaxles.com is no longer there.

Mary, I just tried their website and it's still up. Try the 'phone and see if you get an answer:

800-889-2953 352-351-9557

Mary, I just called the 800 number and Kevin answered the 'phone although they are normally closed on Saturday. He disavowed that they are not there anymore. He also said he would have no problem supplying you with axles for your '78 Brat.

Hi guys,welcome back Ed.

No need to stockpile,as I stated,just keep those specific parts I mentioned,and others in mind when you see a car that offers them.Perhaps you're only there for one part and you see these others....it's a definite resale item if I mentioned it.

I was going to post the exact same example Ed gave of certain items like the headlights not being worth the effort in the longrun.

One thing to keep in mind though.This vintage Subaru or older Subaru for economic reasons thing is catching on here on the east coast.I'll bet those headlights will be able to sell for $30 once again,but infrequently since it'll be rust zoners paying the higher ticket.Don't toss them out just yet.

I'd take the left tail-light. Be sure metal divider, that fits between the turn and brake light is under the lens.

I'd also be interested in the metal/rubber divider, between the rear bumper and the body.

Also, the passenger side tin, splash shield, under the radiator. It fastens to the radiator support and the wheel apron with just a few bolts.

Todd

i'll see what i can do about that. that'll all be around $30 i'd guess, just so you know. i'm not sure when i'm JYing again yet, i'll try for this week. need axle parts :D

Okie dokie...just let me know what you find.

Regards, Todd