Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No BS.

okay I'm retarded, I didnt connect the "New crank" thing :). So how is it going to be better? Isn't there going to be more vibration made from having most of the weight being thrown side to side?
Not if the new crank is counter balanced properly.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry Dr. RX, I thought that, that was what you meant by "no without major rework". I am thinking about doing this with a ER-27, just to see what kind of gains can be had now that I'm thinking about it. Should make a cool project

im sorry, but this staggered throw business is a total non issue for the purpose of this convo.. besides it hasnt hindered anyone increase power in the EJ20 in big ways. so , once again. we are not talking about 500 600 700 800hp, we are talking about 300 at the most, and its been done before, and its not a problem.

besides, DR.RX u pointed out that it becomes more of a problem with more cyls... I can see how that could have relevence if the clys fire one after the other, but when you only have 2 cyls per bank, i simply dont see it as an issue. but if it is.. its not a problem here.

besides without using this arangment it wouldn't be balanced. as we know

on the topic tho, i was under the impression the latest EJs in 2004 libs have a different firing order. . .

Ok, I'm finding it time for me to chime in. I *too* am in pursuit of a WRX slayin' EA82T.

However, as of late, there seem to be many trying to do this. Some talk big, some don't. Some of us are already on our second, third, fourth engines. Is it happening? Yes.

Sean of Rallitek, ran a RX, stripped out with a roll cage. Its mods were a WRX IC, recirc'd BPV, and 15psi of boost, and a 3" turbo back custom exhaust. It was reportedly "able to keep up with WRX's"

Dennisex24 built up a XT. His mods were delta cams (mild) VF11 turbo, thunderbird IC, 12psi (afaik), WRX downpipe to 3" straight pipe. Dennis also talked of similar gains.

On the AUforums, there are a handful of people running quick EA82T's with good success.

Will is thinking big, he wants to go big. In order for a EA82T as fast as a WRX, you have to shoot to be as fast as a STI.

Unlike a lot of people that have spoken here in this thread, I've followed mod'd WRX's through twisties in my modded RX. I've ran against a turbo'd 2.5rs down the quarter mile in my car. I've surprised my peers that drive 20K+ subarus. Its not because i'm beating them. Its because i'm keeping up. I can't wait to hear what they say when i'm beating them.

The potential is there. I know it. Will knows it. Really, thats all that is needed.

The question I have for everyone else is... Where were all the naysayers when guys started hopping up bug motors? If those people had been deterred, where would the bug be today?

[quote name=mAJJJORD

we are talking about 300 at the most, and its been done before, and its not a problem.[/quote]Where are these 300 hp EA82 turbos? Or are you comparing other engines to this one again?

hopefully the dynosheet for one is coming in a week or so when it gets retuned with a new ECU, ill point him to the topic.

to be honest, it's not that hard to keep up with wrx's. My car was doing good with a modded one on a real nice road. He said he was goin easy, and I know I still had some left in it (not much, but there was some left :)). He actually said I was owning him or something like that. But the point is, even with almost 100 less hp and about 90 less tq, it was still close. This is with, bad suspension, and near bald RE92's on my behalf.

hey, I never said it wasn't going to be expencive, but it wouldn't be THAT hard.

subyrally, there is a place to get them (the head gaskets) WJM got a set awhile back.

gasket works usa. paeco is expensive.

much info here, much things learned...the whole reson behind creating a BS thread! more info to absorb!

to be honest, it's not that hard to keep up with wrx's. My car was doing good with a modded one on a real nice road. He said he was goin easy, and I know I still had some left in it (not much, but there was some left :)). He actually said I was owning him or something like that. But the point is, even with almost 100 less hp and about 90 less tq, it was still close. This is with, bad suspension, and near bald RE92's on my behalf.

in the legacy? that doesnt count! its an EJ car! LOL

How doesn't it count? It's got way less power esp considering we were at a much higher elevation than sea level, worse suspension, had horrible tires, . The only things I had on him were lighter car, and shorter gears. Remember, this was a MODDED wrx.

Thats why there are rice haters.. If you're are a ricer, you get hated on.. Deal with it.
Really?

You don't find that Kia funny? As for things I've done to my car, the list isn't really long but in no sort of order just as I remember them....

Port and polish, valve job, head shave, straight exaust well cat only, custom intake, I painted the valve covers and those fuel rail supports yellow, thats like five horse, I converted the auto fwd to a five speed which decsreases weight, and gas milage, but I gots torque. Weight reduction throught interior removal, weight increase throught bass, slotted rotors (makes it stop fast). I also increased the timing a bit and run high octane, ohh and the turbo hood helps keep it cool. other than that just been trying to "restore it" like resealing the oil pump.

As far as getting back on topic goes, I had a question reguarding another thread where they talked about using a N/A 9:1 or so compression or the carbed like 8.5:1 and using the turbo heads and turbo. They seemed to say it doesn't last. Would you do something similar with a better low end? Any more info on block swapping would be intrested.

Phil

I'm right in the middle of a block swap now.. just came in from working on it as a matter of fact. I am using the carb block.. 8.5:1 as opposed to the SPFI block (9.5:1)

Factory turbo is 7.7:1.. 8.5:1 seems like a safe compromise.. Milesfox has done it , seemingly successfully, maybe he'll chime in

WJM,

I applaud your efforts. Good luck!

In the meantime, do any of you have anything against using nitrous? This in conjunction with the exhaust modified, custome uppipe/downpipe and upgraded turbo should make for a killer setup. Your fuelling may need to be upgraded but it should make for a very fun car.

I know if I had a 1.8ltr turbo, I'd have put a wet nitrous kit on it as soon as $$$ became available. That would be after all the basic maintenance and tending to the transmission first.

So what's up? Why not tinker with nitrous? :-\

So what's up? Why not tinker with nitrous? :-\

The problem with nitrous is that it is addictive, that power boost iot gives you is not meant to be used for long periods of time, but people love the power it give their engines and over use it, thus shortening engine life. It's great stuff when use properly,but few people do that. I best think is to get an engine that has the power of a nitrous injected engine, but without the nitrous, the engine might last longer, but that depends upon how you went about getting those extra ponies.

The problem with nitrous is that it is addictive, that power boost iot gives you is not meant to be used for long periods of time, but people love the power it give their engines and over use it, thus shortening engine life. It's great stuff when use properly,but few people do that. I best think is to get an engine that has the power of a nitrous injected engine, but without the nitrous, the engine might last longer, but that depends upon how you went about getting those extra ponies.
Yeah Corky! I fullly understand what you are saying. You may as well talk like 'Uncle Ben' and say "With great power comes great responsibility". :brow: The same thing could be applied to raising boost pressure as well. I know I wouldn't hesitate to use it though since I've had some positive experiences with it. I'm thinking even with a simple 60hp shot of nitrous on top of an exhaust and intercooler upgrade and raising to the boost to 13psi or so you'd have a low 14 second/high 13 second car depending on when you spray the juice. And you'd just be getting started.

If I didn't get a 2nd XT6, I would've purchased an EA82T turbo and hopefully had a load of fun with it. Too bad I like autos and the 3spd autos suck really bad. :( Some would say all autos suck but to each their own.

Oh well, I know if TWE said they could hang with a stock WRX with their parts, putting a wet shot on top of that would probably have me laughing with tears in my eyes. I'd have so much fun. Have fun!

don't mean to sound annoying but could you answer my question up above. I'd like to know just from a curious standpoint is all, not trying to be a wongleflute or anything.

I don't want to put words in Will's mouth, but I think he was refering to the fact that this post is talking about modifying EA82Ts to get the hp of some of the higher hp rated EJ series engine, so your's wouldn't count (with regards to this post) because it has an EJ series engine.

As far as getting back on topic goes, I had a question reguarding another thread where they talked about using a N/A 9:1 or so compression or the carbed like 8.5:1 and using the turbo heads and turbo. They seemed to say it doesn't last. Would you do something similar with a better low end? Any more info on block swapping would be intrested.

Phil

I would still have the 9.5:1 engine if it didnt run so lean, had instaled the WRX's TMIC, and a few other small things that I have now.

It died because....it ran LEAN alot, and it detonated on the pump gas...ALOT. that killed the already old worn out rings, and it suffered an exhaust valve meltdown. Fotunatly, the head and valve seat was not hurt.

This build I am hoping to start on soon should have somewhere's between 8.0 and 8.5 compression. I personally think that the crank and rods are plenty good....but i might do something with the rods just to be safe.

so is that a no?

No for NOS? Yes, i will not touch the stuff....its addictive and I dont have a patience to do it right. Plus...around here I will be the ultimate ricer just by having the stuff. Doesnt matter if I am fAstAr than everyone else...i'll still be a ricer cuz i use it.

Thats jsut around here tho.