Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No BS.

No for NOS? Yes, i will not touch the stuff....its addictive and I dont have a patience to do it right. Plus...around here I will be the ultimate ricer just by having the stuff. Doesnt matter if I am fAstAr than everyone else...i'll still be a ricer cuz i use it.

Thats jsut around here tho.

is it not illegal over there? , on the street

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a 230 flyhweel hp old school L20B datsun motor, I don't know why our little 8 valve EA82 motor with a turbo couldn't do that or more.

But yeah, we all say things like "I want to do this" and not alot of people go through, but hey, WJM as far as anyone knows, was the first person to run a 9.5:1 CR EA82 turbo motor. I'm sure with more fuel it woul dhave have much better power and ran ALOT longer than it did, lol.

is it not illegal over there? , on the street
Yes, it's illegal to use on the street over here. No, it's not illegal to carry the bottle in the car. You can not have the bottle attached to the nitrous hose enabling it to be used at a flick of a button. Transporting the bottle around (whether it's full or not) is not illegal. It's just that when you carry a whole lot of nitrous reaching a certain weight limit, you'll need a placard and other stuff that we don't have to worry about.

WJM,

I see what you are saying about using nitrous. Again, good luck in your pursuits. I'm chopping away at my XT6s trying to learn stuff but my $$$ has just reached a new low between getting parts, installing them (having some installed) and testing on a dyno. Now both of my XT6s are down and one I don't even know why. ???? Arrrghhh!

I dont believe you need to change the firing order of the cylinders. You could theoreticaly get the weight of an RX down to 2000 pounds, and in that situation you would only need to make about 220 HP to be faster than an STI.

:lol: that means you only have to effectively double the stock output of the motor.

I dont believe you need to change the firing order of the cylinders. You could theoreticaly get the weight of an RX down to 2000 pounds, and in that situation you would only need to make about 220 HP to be faster than an STI.

:lol: that means you only have to effectively double the stock output of the motor.

220 is the first stage of m goal. it will not be so hard.....header, TBE, some boost, intake stuffs, WRX TMIC, the smaller cams....200~220

"stage 2" means internals and a larger turbo....275 hp?

"stage 3" would mean more boost and the larger cams...along with a slightly different sent of internals. around 300 hp?

wjm, what are you planning to do about gear ratios? Even if you do get the same power to weight ratio. An STi would easily out accellerate you with it's higher gear ratios. Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the final 3.700? Not to mention just how short the actual gears are on an STi. If you havent already planned on it, I think you should try to go for much higher gear ratios. That in and of itself can make up for horsepower in accelleration. There's a few reasons I was doing as well as I was with that wrx, and gear ratios were one of them.

220 is the first stage of m goal. it will not be so hard.....header, TBE, some boost, intake stuffs, WRX TMIC, the smaller cams....200~220

"stage 2" means internals and a larger turbo....275 hp?

"stage 3" would mean more boost and the larger cams...along with a slightly different sent of internals. around 300 hp?

well if it helps, I have 'around' 200 [< edit sorry] , now , with stock cams (but a jap motor so i still dont know if they differ), aftermarket ECU , FMIC, header, larger turbo, and about 12-14psi (made 94kw at all four at 12psi but was quite obviously going to make more if not for for aborting the run) .

speaking of which here is the graph finally . 4th gear, 4WD . aborted early..

note the air-fuel ratio and youl see why :banghead:

0121.GIF

essentially you shouldnt need to touch the cams IF they are the same, especially since im only pushing "relativly" low boost. Holding 15-16psi all the way to redline should be fine before you start having to push crazy amounts of boost and not get any meaningfull gains in output :P

so perhaps stage one could involve not having to touch the motor at all.. ?

well if it helps, I have 'around' 220 now , with stock cams (but a jap motor so i still dont know if they differ), aftermarket ECU , FMIC, header, larger turbo, and about 12-14psi (made 94kw at all four at 12psi but was quite obviously going to make more if not for for aborting the run) .

?

Hate to tell yah, but 94Kw is only around 120 HP. . .:-\

BHP = KW/(0.746 * eff)

Hate to tell yah, but 94Kw is only around 120 HP. . .:-\

BHP = KW/(0.746 * eff)

doh, i meant to say around 200 not 220 , ill edit it

126 at the wheels , the graph isnt meant to back up that statement . as theres no peak figure , and u have to speculate drivetrain losses because no one ever agree's with eachother, and dynos differ from place to place

THAWA: Vf12 (RHB5) , works pretty well, not to much lag

hmm, wouldnt you be closer to 160-180? I dont think you'd lose 80 hp in the drivetrain. I assume the vf12 you have is from a liberty then. That's cool :) What are you planning on doing about fuel?

well a stock WRX tends to pull between 95-110kw , the higher being typical of a 'shootout' run, so because of that im leaning more towards 200.

but again it hadnt peaked. giving us not 1 but 2 points of speculation ;)

next monday i can hopefully get a spot on the dyno again to fix that lean out ( to answer your question it's a simple matter of changing the fuel map on the microtech ECU ) , and if it hits 100kw ill be happy with that. and happy to say it has at least 200 at the fly.

hmm, I thought wrx's put like 150-160 down at the wheels. Hell a stock legacy turbo throws out around 130. Cool tht you have a good ecu though, and I'm sure once it's tuned you'll be making more power than that, I mean you start getting a lower AF ratio at about 100KPH. Anyway, good luck :)

a BONE STOCK WRX should put down 160...+/- 5...with MT.

a BONE STOCK USDM Legacy turbo should put down 112...+/- 5....with MT.

if a legacy turbo is putting down 130 MT, it would have about 185 hp. Stock is 160 with 181 TQ or so.

well here's two stock legacy's that make 130:

http://mtk.darkwire.com/dyno.jpg

http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/Drews-views/legacydyno.jpg

the first guy also dyno'd his car when he had the ej22e in and got a lil more than 100 so I really doubt the 112 figure (whereever you got that)

so yeah, gears? Whatcha doing about it?

Odd...i imagine those figures are high then...or the cars are NOT stock.

Either way...160 is the aggreed WHP figure for a stock wrx. We all know a stock WRX is supposed to have 227 CHP. Roughly thats a 0.7 conversion factor.

That means those Legacy's have around 180 each. OR....those dynos are different, and the conversion would be 0.8125....by which case a WRX would have only 196 CHP on the same dyno. Or...more WHP...abouts 185.

I know that my GL-10 dyno'd at 99.2 WHP...thats about 141 CHP. a mostly stock RX did 88, and thats about 118 CHP...plus the WRX's were right on...so we figured the dyno we used is accurate. I am drawing those figures from it...other dynos may vary....but still...i seriously doubt a stock USDM legacy would put down 130. Either its not stock or the dyno set up is vastly different than what we used.

Here are links to both

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=16520&highlight=dyno

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=16871&highlight=dyno+graph

The first guy only has a bigger exhaust, which doesnt really add any power. The 9.3 psi thing could easily be related to altitude depending on where he's at, since stock is 8.9 I'm sure .4 psi doesnt make THAT much difference :). The other guy says he was completely stock. They were both taken with a mustang dynometer I believe. I don't think they read higher than normal, as all the near stock wrx's throw down like 150-160 on the mustang here. I can't say I believe that ratio thing. Sure it's good for round about numbers, but I wouldn't make a descision based on it.

But anyway, GEARS!